Riding season is winding down in some areas and a lot of guys are getting ready to tuck that scooter away for the season. Here is a quick list of things to do before you put your bike up for the winter:
• Take your fork wipers and pry them loose, then pull them down. Using a piece of 35 mm film or a thin, plastic card run it around the lip of the wiper to dislodge any dirt, sand or grease. Many times you will find that there is water or mud under the wiper, this acts as a constant abrasive on your seals and all of this needs to be removed.
• Take some WD-40 and spray around the seal to blow out dirt and grime. After you clean the outside of the seal, use the film to run between the seal lip and the fork tube. Go slowly, and pull the film out slow as well to help remove junk from under the seal lip.
• After you are done, put a little bit of seal grease around the seal lip and pop the wiper back on-good till spring!!!
• Now is a great time to pull off the linkage and swing arm. Many times there is a bit of water in the bearings from normal riding, leaving this moisture in the bearings will ensure some rust by next spring. Clean all the bearings and bushing sealing edges, give them a good look and replace as needed. Lot’s of companies now make complete replacement kits, they all seem to be of high quality.
• While the shock is off the bike, remove the spring and clean around the cap that covers the seal head (where the shock shaft goes into the shock body). Almost all of today’s current bikes have a press fit cap (check your manual).
• Take a small drift punch and gently tap the cap off the shock body. This will expose the dust seal for the shock shaft. The seal itself sits further down on the shaft, all you really need to do here is wipe the grit away and put a bit of grease around the lip of the wiper. No seal cleaning is required, but make sure you do not have any oil coming out of the shock shaft area-if you do it’s time for a new seal!
• Tap the cover back in place, put the spring back on and bolt everything back together.
• You will be happy you took the time to do your maintenance now, as we all know when spring comes all we think about is Pinning It!!!!!!!!!!!
You can learn more at www.stillwellperformance.com
Keep It Pinned,