Want to make your DR-Z400S lighter for the dirt but still have a street legal dual sport?
The first 8 to 10 pounds are pretty easy to lose: Just remove stuff. These are real weights:
- Passenger foot pegs: 1 lb. 10 oz. / pair
- Stock mirrors: 1 lb. each
- Chain guard: 8 oz.
- Helmet lock, not including tab on frame: 6 oz.
- Tool kit and fender bag: 1 lb. 14 oz.
- Handlebar weights: 1 lb. / pair
- Front reflectors and bracket: 6 oz.
- Front turn signals: 13 oz. / pair
- Big ugly stock tail light and blinkers: 2 lbs. 12 oz.
( -11 lbs saved, but add back a tail light and mirror, and turn signals if your state requires them )
Some northern riders lose the fan: -14 oz.
Replacing the stock metal tank with the same size plastic- no weight savings. Adding a larger tank and filling it up can easily add 10 pounds.
Biggest bang for the buck mod?
- Stock battery: 5 lbs. 13 oz.
+ Shorai Lithium Iron: 1 lb. 8 oz. # LFX14A2-BS12 ( -4 1/4 lbs saved )
Common accessories: (Please fill in the missing numbers if you know them)
- Stock muffler: 9 lbs. + 2 lbs. for header pipe
+ FMF Q4: 5 lbs. 8 oz. + 2 lbs. for PowerBomb header
+ Yoshimura RS-2: 9 lbs. 2 oz.
+ MRD/SSW: 8 lbs.
- Stock headlight: 3 lbs. 8 oz.
+ Acerbis Cyclops: 1 lb. 10 oz.
- Stock tail light assembly: 2 lbs. 12 oz.
+ DRC Edge: 8 oz. + turn signals if needed ( -2 1/4 lbs saved )
- Stock turn signals: 1 1/2 lbs. for all 4
+ LED turn signals: less than half that, depends on what brand you choose
- Stock speedo: ?
+ TrailTech Vapor: ?
Common add ons:
+ Radiator guards- Unibiker: 1 lb. 8 oz.
+ Hand guards- Acerbis Rally Pro: 1 lb. 12 oz.
+ Skid plate- Hyde plastic: Same weight as the 3 stock pieces you'll remove
+ ProMoto Billet Rack- 1 lb. 12 oz.
And remember that lighter is always better for dirt but heavier is a lot better for 70+ on the highway.