• Announcements

    • Bryan Bosch

      ON SALE!   12/06/2017

      Up to 20% off Yuasa Batteries & Battery Accessories!
  • entries
    3
  • comments
    20
  • views
    752

Video Riding Tip: Stand Up Cornering Techniques

Often times, stand up cornering is the best body positioning. In this training video I walk you through the correct techniques for stand up cornering and why they are important. Give it a watch and see how you're doing. 

Thanks for watching!

Brian Garrahan
Garrahan Off-Road Training
garrahan_high_five.JPG.2e4ed9ee09c3503d14cfbe5806943925.JPG

standup.JPG


5 people like this


9 Comments


Brian,  first thing I've got to say is I don't know how you do it man, you've always got that perfect helmet hair look.... Amazing man, really impressive. 

 

Second thing is a question, I'm never really comfortable riding on the balls of my feet. Any tips on getting comfortable riding that way, just do it? I can see how it allows you to squeeze the bike better and so I guess that's why it's important? 

 

See you at Hollister or Metcalfe soon. 

2 people like this

Share this comment


Link to comment

Riding on the balls of your feet and standing helps lower your centre of gravity , instead of most of your weight being toward the front of your seat sitting down,  it puts it through the balls of your feet and into the pegs and with the combination of your chest over the front should give you good front end traction and help you corner faster , but it takes a lot of practice because your natural tendacies are to sit down toward the front of the bike and weight the outside peg

2 people like this

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Brian,  first thing I've got to say is I don't know how you do it man, you've always got that perfect helmet hair look.... Amazing man, really impressive. 

 

Second thing is a question, I'm never really comfortable riding on the balls of my feet. Any tips on getting comfortable riding that way, just do it? I can see how it allows you to squeeze the bike better and so I guess that's why it's important? 

 

See you at Hollister or Metcalfe soon. 

I can’t give you tips about the hair, that’s just my natural flow. 

Yes practice, practice, also keep the toes tight at the same time this will help you grip the bike.Standing will also gives you better balance as you can control the bike with the pegs which have a lower center of gravity. It also makes have better reaction time. You don’t see the short stop for the Giants sitting down.

3 people like this

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Garrahan Off-Road Training said:

I can’t give you tips about the hair, that’s just my natural flow. 

Yes practice, practice, also keep the toes tight at the same time this will help you grip the bike.Standing will also gives you better balance as you can control the bike with the pegs which have a lower center of gravity. It also makes have better reaction time. You don’t see the short stop for the Giants sitting down.

Keep the toes tight? What do you mean? 

1 person likes this

Share this comment


Link to comment

I definitely agree that standing is better most of the time but I don’t see how it lowers center of gravity. I think center of gravity is determined by where you are on the bike not where you are contacting the bike. If you are leaning forward, center of g is moved forward. It doesn’t matter if you are touching the bars with your chest or not. Regardless, I know it does help

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, jay bird1138 said:

I definitely agree that standing is better most of the time but I don’t see how it lowers center of gravity. I think center of gravity is determined by where you are on the bike not where you are contacting the bike. If you are leaning forward, center of g is moved forward. It doesn’t matter if you are touching the bars with your chest or not. Regardless, I know it does help

Simple the pegs are the lowest part of the bike. If you control with the pegs you are controlling the bike at its lowest point of G. If you are trying to control the bike with the bars, you have to transfer all the weight that is above the pegs. So you have to shift more weight, use more strength, using more energy. Last but not least your legs are one of the biggest muscles. So using your kegs instead of arms will give you more stanima and strength.

3 people like this

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, jay bird1138 said:

I definitely agree that standing is better most of the time but I don’t see how it lowers center of gravity. I think center of gravity is determined by where you are on the bike not where you are contacting the bike. If you are leaning forward, center of g is moved forward. It doesn’t matter if you are touching the bars with your chest or not. Regardless, I know it does help

You're correct that where it is relative to forward/aft is determined by your body position, but there's CG fore/aft and also CG up/down to consider. If your weight is supported by the pegs, that's lower than it being supported by the seat. That's how your CG is lower standing than sitting. Furthermore, how much weight you've got on the pegs vs the handlebars through your arms will affect it as well, as Graham articulated.

1 person likes this

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Gregulator said:

You're correct that where it is relative to forward/aft is determined by your body position, but there's CG fore/aft and also CG up/down to consider. If your weight is supported by the pegs, that's lower than it being supported by the seat. That's how your CG is lower standing than sitting. Furthermore, how much weight you've got on the pegs vs the handlebars through your arms will affect it as well, as Graham articulated.

I love it, these are all great points. I’m working on a new series next week. Anything in particular you guys want to learn?

2 people like this

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with: