Jump to content

KETOGENIC DIET & INTERMITTENT FASTING: DO THEY WORK? - PODCAST #23

Coach Robb

2,886 views

During this Coach Robb Podcast I shed some insight into how the Ketogenic Diet (a.k.a. Keto Diet) originated and how this suggested way of eating has some immediate benefits, but also long-term consequences. I also discussed the similarities of the Keto Diet and past “popular diets and systems” that focus on one element of nutrition, take it out of context, and market that element as a brand new idea that is revolutionizing the way humans should eat to shed body fat and improve performance. As they say, everything old becomes new again, and after listening, you will see how there is a much simpler and sustainable way to eat to drop those unwanted pounds of body fat without sacrificing your foundation of health and wellness.

During the second half of the podcast, I explain what intermittent fasting is and how the body adjusts and adapts to short periods of complete fasting (eating no calories at all). In addition to the pros and cons of intermittent fasting, I explain that if you implement fasting, of any duration, at the wrong time, the consequences could be quite substantial. If you have read about fasting and wondered if this process is good for you, grab a piece of paper and jot down some notes. The decision to fast has many implications beyond what it does to the body during the fast. You also need to understand the timing of the fasting process to avoid detrimental long-term results.

Listeners questions include:

  • What do I do if eating prior to exercise and/or racing makes me sick to my stomach?
  • Why does training in the heat makes it difficult to drop body fat?
  • How does a warm-up and cool down improve performance?
  • What are the hierarchy of needs relevant to overall health and performance?
  • What can I do to reduce cholesterol levels naturally?
     

http://www.coachrobbpodcast.com/
153606201_CoachRobbPodcast-Dark.png.3277fb3470a60d3c64ecab1b9d3ced38.png

 

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 3


41 Comments


Recommended Comments



Keto and intermittent fasting have worked great for me. Been doing it for about a month and a half and I am down 30lbs even with the occasional cheat meal here and there. 

  • Helpful 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

I don't mess with the Keto diet that's very hard on your body and toxic. our bodies are designed to burn carbohyrates  for activity not fat. burning fat is not efficient, and that means burning plant based carbs...  the only things that do work is a plant based diet and juice fasting. or if you want to shed pounds 90 day juice fasting...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!  Juicing is a great way to get a boat load of vitamins and minerals for sure.  Keep me posted on your progress. 

-Coach Robb 

Edited by Coach Robb
  • Helpful 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

ketogenic is designed to be the bodies back up survival system.. this will help explain

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Zack Bitter holds the American 100-mile record @ 11:40:55.....and eats Keto. For the last 8 years I have been following a very low carb sometimes keto diet...lost 55 pounds and got stronger than I have ever been. Had a set back last year when I blew my ACL out and then last April broke 4 ribs and punctured a lung...but still in great shape. I usually eat once a day. I am 62 years old and I haven't been this strong since I was in my 20's. I usually range in ketosis around .3 to 1.5.  

Carbs are not required and worrying about cholesterol is useless and possibly dangerous. 

 

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

i will have to watch it when i get time , would love to seen the autopsy of his liver, kidneys, and gallblader, when he's gone.. would be a great project in the name of science

Edited by Fred Wendel

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/21/2018 at 8:53 PM, tmeyer37 said:

Keto and intermittent fasting have worked great for me. Been doing it for about a month and a half and I am down 30lbs even with the occasional cheat meal here and there. 

This is awesome!  Please keep me posted on your progress.  

-Coach Robb 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, Pierre Legrand said:

Zack Bitter holds the American 100-mile record @ 11:40:55.....and eats Keto. For the last 8 years I have been following a very low carb sometimes keto diet...lost 55 pounds and got stronger than I have ever been. Had a set back last year when I blew my ACL out and then last April broke 4 ribs and punctured a lung...but still in great shape. I usually eat once a day. I am 62 years old and I haven't been this strong since I was in my 20's. I usually range in ketosis around .3 to 1.5.  

Carbs are not required and worrying about cholesterol is useless and possibly dangerous. 

 

I will listen for sure!  Thanks for sharing.  

Share this comment


Link to comment

I keto 2x a year, and run low carb most of the time in between... Done right keto is a great program, done wrong and you'll have the energy of a stick... Equally so it's not a sustainable program to run year round...

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment

any of you Keto guys  get  sored joints while on this diet?  

how is your energy level and do you drink caffein? 

have you pro Ketos athletes done corinary Arteries Closure Score? vs MRI arterie scan of some type? 

I found it scarey how unhealthy our fittest pilots are in the NAVY, this is a must watch for your Keto guys. A high carb plant based diet seems to be where it's at....

 

Edited by Fred Wendel
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

I keto 2x a year, and run low carb most of the time in between... Done right keto is a great program, done wrong and you'll have the energy of a stick... Equally so it's not a sustainable program to run year round...

I agree it has to be done right. When I first started out it was hard to my balance of minerals and getting enough fiber and while I was losing weight it wasn't sustainable since I was spending so much time on the toilet (sorry tmi) but I stuck with it and did more research and solved that problem. I am now combining with 18/6 i intermittent fasting 5 days a week and my energy level is still great. My plan is to stay with this plan till I hit 205 [started at 264] then transition to a permanent low carb diet with keto and fasting mixed in  intermittently to maintain the weight. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, Fred Wendel said:

any of you Keto guys  get  sored joints while on this diet?  

how is your energy level and do you drink caffein? 

have you pro Ketos athletes done corinary Arteries Closure Score? vs MRI arterie scan of some type? 

I found it scarey how unhealthy our fittest pilots are in the NAVY, this is a must watch for your Keto guys. A high carb plant based diet seems to be where it's at....

 

For every negative piece of info you find there is 2 to 3 positive pieces. You also need to look at who is funding any study's for or against anything. With any change to the status qou and someone is looking to gain or lose money. 

 

I have no new issues with my joints, done right Keto and intermittent fasting help with inflammation which has been great for my arthritis in my hip. 

Since I fast during the week I do have about 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day but this is not abnormal for me. Prior to going in the diet I used to have 2 or 3 Sugar free redbulls a day

Share this comment


Link to comment

The negative data discovered on Keto is not based on monetary value or changing the status qou. it's hard scientific research and facts.. I would say if you can run 10 miles flat out and feel great , but have an arterial blockage of 75 percent, then something is wrong with this idea of a meat and fat burning diet.

The only 2 groups at risk of loosing money is the Cattleman's Association, Dairy industry and the Medical industry. if we all went raw vegan, health among the whole population would improve at a staggering rate , these 2 industries would fall on hard times.

 

 

You should try NOT drinking coffee on the Keto diet, see how your energy levels fail or improve.  caffieen cover's up a lot of the bodies inflamation in the joints , it's an amaizing drug. but not good for a pro athlete who is draining the adrenals by using the drug, and covering up joint pain by the used of caffeen

 

 

Edited by Fred Wendel

Share this comment


Link to comment

I did a full Carnivore diet for three weeks....meat ONLY, salt, fat and water.

Went from 164lbs to 153lbs in one week. and stayed there. I'm 6ft tall. Was using this to test for suspected food allergies and planned to reintroduce various foods for testing.

I felt fine and had good energy and strength didn't drop, but honestly it was boring to eat a salted and peppered plain steak and I love food too much to stick with such an extreme change. :(

I have discovered I LOVE to eat a bowl of regular ground hamburger as a snack though..... pretty weird! LOL

Edited by Keebler750
  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/23/2018 at 7:53 AM, Fred Wendel said:

I don't mess with the Keto diet that's very hard on your body and toxic.

False.

Our bodies store fat because they want to burn fat. Endurance athletes burn fat faster into their workout than any other athletes.

If you really believe insulin cycling is ideal for training, knock yourself out. You'll never loose that ponch your carrying around on your waistline on the exercise bike, and don't blame it on age.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/25/2018 at 7:24 AM, Fred Wendel said:

1) The negative data discovered on Keto is not based on monetary value or changing the status qou. it's hard scientific research and facts.. I would say if you can run 10 miles flat out and feel great , but have an arterial blockage of 75 percent, then something is wrong with this idea of a meat and fat burning diet.

2) The only 2 groups at risk of loosing money is the Cattleman's Association, Dairy industry and the Medical industry. if we all went raw vegan, health among the whole population would improve at a staggering rate , these 2 industries would fall on hard times.

3) You should try NOT drinking coffee on the Keto diet, see how your energy levels fail or improve.  caffieen cover's up a lot of the bodies inflamation in the joints , it's an amaizing drug. but not good for a pro athlete who is draining the adrenals by using the drug, and covering up joint pain by the used of caffeen

1) Clearly you've never tried it. I can tell you get all your data from the mainstream media as well.

2) I have eaten vegan before, and for long periods too. Endurance is good but recovery times are in the toilet.

3) Not sure what source you are getting your coffee information from, but most adults get the majority of their antioxidants from their coffee. If a cup of coffee gives you adrenal fatigue, you have much bigger problems than a cup of coffee or green tea in the morning! Are antioxidants good for joint health? YES they are! Bone broth is another crucial ingredient for joint health.

Furthermore, could you please turn on your spell checker? It's the first step in learning proper grammar and sentence structure.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/24/2018 at 7:27 PM, Fred Wendel said:

have you pro Ketos athletes done corinary Arteries Closure Score? vs MRI arterie scan of some type? 

I

 

MRI scans for total calcium are sooooooo last century.

You can have ZERO calcium buildup and still have plaque in your arteries, and you could still have a heart attack.

If you're still following the 1970's high carb three day loading program, I highly recommend you go get one of these.................

https://www.postindependent.com/news/local/dr-rollins-artery-plaque-alert-how-an-ultrasound-can-detect-early-warning-signs-of-heart-disease/

 

 

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/24/2018 at 9:24 PM, tmeyer37 said:

 Prior to going in the diet I used to have 2 or 3 Sugar free redbulls a day

Artificial sweeteners still make your body  insulin cycle.

When your liver is making insulin, your body ceases making HGH, IGH1, testosterone, and all the other eicosaniods associated with good health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicosanoid

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
48 minutes ago, Bermudacat said:

Artificial sweeteners still make your body  insulin cycle.

When your liver is making insulin, your body ceases making HGH, IGH1, testosterone, and all the other eicosaniods associated with good health.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eicosanoid

Don't disagree there. One of the reasons I stopped with those. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Insulin is made by the pancreas, HGH and IGH1 are made by the pituitary gland and testosterone is made by the testicles and adrenal gland. But you are right insulin surges can over time affect not only the production but also the effectiveness of these hormones in a number of ways. Mostly by increasing inflammatory cytokines. However, someone that exercises regularly has little to fear from insulin surges as long as they are not diabetic.

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
10 hours ago, canyonbkr said:

Insulin is made by the pancreas, HGH and IGH1 are made by the pituitary gland and testosterone is made by the testicles and adrenal gland.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Beta cells in the pancreas make insulin. The pancreas resides below the liver and also makes hydrochloric acid.

We have two adrenal glands, one on top of each kidney.

After growth hormone is secreted by the pituitary gland it is then taken into the liver where it is used to produce IGF-1.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

×