525 MXC vs. 525 EXC transmission

Please explain just what the differences between the close ratio and wide ratio tranny. I get the jist of it, but how will I notice it when riding....they are both 6 speeds and both top out over 90 mph from what people have told me. Is this correct?

Can changing sprokets help even out the differences?

Can you change out the MXC trans to an EXC or is this way too expensive?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for the "perfect" all-around bike. Something I can ride on a MX track and then add lights and dualsport on the weekends.

RR@ARS,

Here're the ratios (below) for comparison. The MXC's are designed for open desert where a low 1st isn't needed, but closer ratios are. The EXC's first gear is considerably lower.

For a large diversity of riding situations (trails, single track, hills, desert, open range) the EXC was more versatile and suitable for my needs.

Some TT members here have geared down their MXC's via sprocket changes, approaching the lower 1st gear ratio of the stock EXC and are apparently happy with the outcome.

Yes, you can change the MXC's trans to EXC gears. 1st is the most expensive to switch-out, as there are more parts involved (a shaft in addition to gears).

When confronted with the same decision that you appear to be, I compared the savings of getting a used '02MXC ($750 less) over the more expensive used '02 EXC + the tranny re-gear. The cost of re-gearing the MXC came out to be around $700+ (parts and labor), so I opted for the EXC. I would have liked to have the larger gas tank on the MXC, though.

EXC's seem to have generally higher practical resale, though the book values between the two were similar when I looked.

Those with KTM wrenching expertise on this list have provided details about the re-gearing process in previous posts. You can do some TT subject searching to learn more.

Gear--------MXC--------EXC

1st---------16:32------14:34

2nd--------18:30------17:31

3rd---------20:28------19:28

4th---------22:26------22:26

5th---------24:24------24:23

6th---------27:18------26:26

Now the ratios are listed correctly...finally! (sorry)

Good luck,

Jon

I GOT TIRED OF WAITING FOR AN EXC SO I GOT AN 03 525 MXC A FEW WEEKS AGO.

EVERYONE SAYS EXC EXC EXC.... I LOVE THE MXC ITS GREAT THE GEARING IS JUST FINE MY FRIEND SAYS BOTTOM LINE IS YOU HAVE TO SHIFT A LITTLE MORE WITH MXC AND IT HAS MORE POWER ON THE BOTTOM AND LESS SPEED AT TOP END. THIS BIKE I'M TOLD WILL RUN ABOUT 80-90 WHICH IS PLENTY FAST FOR ME. I RAN AGAINST AN XR650 AND HAD HIM ON BOTTOM END BUT HE STARTED TO PULL AFTER ABOUT 65MPH I GUESS AN EXC WOULD RUN ABOUT EVEN WITH THEM THROUGH OUT.

I'VE ALWAYS HAD TWO STROKES THIS IS MY FIRST FOUR AND I LOVE IT NO PROBLEM PULLING THE FRONT END THROUGH 3RD GEAR. I THINK THE MXC WOULD BE CLOSER TO A TWO STROKE THAN AN EXC.

NOTE I AM NOT A PRO RIDER AND THESE ARE MY OWN OPINIONS.

The information I have available has the ratios as follows:

MXC

16:32

18:30

20:28

22:26

24:24

21:18

EXC

14:34

17:31

19:28

22:26

24:23

26:21

This is right out of my 02 owners manual. Looks like 6th gear is messed up in Gear's post above or my owners manual is incorrect.

Clark

I just recently bought a 02 520MXC and I came off of a 99 Husky 610 which had a wide ratio transmission in it running 14/48. I love the close ratio of the MXC. I am currently running 13/48 and because of the trans I shift less on tight twisty stuff. The MXC loves to be lugged. On my old bike I would be shifting between 2nd and 3rd with 3rd being too tall and seconed being too short. Now I have a nice tall first and a mean second and both love to be lugged with less shifting which means I get to enjoy my ride just alittle bit more. I however would love to hear from someone with an auto clutch on a 520 MXC to see if it's even better. The other side of the coin is as far as top speed goes just swap out the 5th/6th gear with the 5th/6th gear from the EXC and now you have a top speed. That should be cheap and easy. I have read posts from others who have done this and they say it worked great and was pretty easy. Just my $5.20 worth. ?

Personally I like the close ratio trans. Works good on the track and still has plenty in the desert. As far as top speed goes, a friend of mine has an EXC and I have the MXC. Each bike as an advantage over the other in different areas of the speed range, and terrain. Bottom line on top end speed is that when we both get to top speed across a dry lake neither bike pulls ahead. It is all about how you use the power and the timing of the shifts to reach that top speed that made a differnce. We ran several runs in each direction they are practicly even. Who runs flat out on a dry lake for more than a mile or so anyway. It comes back to the rider.

I have an '01 520MXC as the EXCs were sold out when I got mine. I dropped the countershaft sprocket to a 13 tooth after the first ride and use it all over the Rocky Mountains. Works for me. I had the chance to ride an '02 520 EXC last month and felt like the gear ratios were pretty close to mine with the 13 T in 1st through 3rd (tight woods, didn't get over 3rd). I rarely find an opportunity to get into 5th let alone 6th.

• 11 years later...

RR@ARS,

Here're the ratios (below) for comparison. The MXC's are designed for open desert where a low 1st isn't needed, but closer ratios are. The EXC's first gear is considerably lower.

For a large diversity of riding situations (trails, single track, hills, desert, open range) the EXC was more versatile and suitable for my needs.

Some TT members here have geared down their MXC's via sprocket changes, approaching the lower 1st gear ratio of the stock EXC and are apparently happy with the outcome.

Yes, you can change the MXC's trans to EXC gears. 1st is the most expensive to switch-out, as there are more parts involved (a shaft in addition to gears).

When confronted with the same decision that you appear to be, I compared the savings of getting a used '02MXC ($750 less) over the more expensive used '02 EXC + the tranny re-gear. The cost of re-gearing the MXC came out to be around $700+ (parts and labor), so I opted for the EXC. I would have liked to have the larger gas tank on the MXC, though.

EXC's seem to have generally higher practical resale, though the book values between the two were similar when I looked.

Those with KTM wrenching expertise on this list have provided details about the re-gearing process in previous posts. You can do some TT subject searching to learn more.

Gear--------MXC--------EXC

1st---------16:32------14:34

2nd--------18:30------17:31

3rd---------20:28------19:28

4th---------22:26------22:26

5th---------24:24------24:23

6th---------27:18------26:26

Now the ratios are listed correctly...finally! (sorry)

Good luck,

Jon

Not surenif you are still on TT, but I don't suppose you have a parts list for swapping 1st and 2nd gears from a EXC into an MXC? I'm really looking into doing this?

The MXC and 525XC trannys mostly got a bad rap due to the super tall first gear. Other than that, they work quite well. I have both right now and I like the MXC. It just needs the right sprocket choice for the terrain. For most stuff 14/50 is fine, throw a 13t front on for really tight riding.

I can't imagine what they were thinking with that first gear though. It was an unnecessary handicap.

• Like 1

I've got a 05 450 MXC and the first is too tall for tight woods as we know. I'm running a 13/50 for dual sport and trails, the only time I wish first was lower is when we're tackling really steep hills. My buddy rides a XCW and he's in 2nd going up the same hill!

Otherwise love the close ratio.

I am a fan of the wide ratio tranny.  Several of my riding friends have MXC's.  When their bikes are geared for the woods the engines are really screaming at anything over 55mph which makes them no fun at all for high speed riding.  A simple sprocket swap is not practical since we often alternate between technical single-track and high speed riding several times on a single day ride.