How do you lock up a Dual Sport?

Seems every few days there is a stolen bike thread, which is really sad to see.

How do you lock up your dual sport bikes, lets say if you are going to the store to get something, and your bike will be in the outside parking lot for some time?

My bike has the handlebar lock thing, but is there anything else out there to secure it from being taken?

I have theft insurance.... BUT, it would relly suck to find your bike missing even if it is covered. I put a pad lock through my brake rotor and a cable lock snaked through the wheels and frame (when it's in my truck or trailer, otherwise I don't leave it unattended). I'd like to get one of those obnoxious alarms that they use to lock the cash register lanes at the Home Depot. Or just park next to the nicest sport bike or Harley in the lot?

You gotta chain a bike to something solid or, like MindBLower said it will literally get "lifted". I lost a XL500R when I lived in Maryland back in the 1990's that way. I had a chain through both wheels parked in front of my townhouse (nothing to chain it to). Woke up in the morning and it was long gone. No trace.

On road trips I will run a heavy cable lock through both wheels, the frame, and to an immovable object like a sign post or lamp post. That's only if I can't ride my bike into the hotel room with me. Like Craigo said, if someone wants something bad enough they'll find a way to get it.

see it quite often around here, DON"T park in the striped spot next to the handicap, see lots of bikes do that to get a front row spot. It's considered part of the handicap spot for a wheelchair lift to unfold.

Ok, i thought maybe there was some good lock system or something, guess not.

Are you allowed to park a dual sport on the curb? lets say going to the supermarket, just to leave it on the curb close to the doors?

or is that a ticket?

I put the chain in the bigger tail bag, coiled up like a snake.

sms.jpg

bags04.jpg

That leaves plenty of room for my jacket liner, bottled water, etc.

The locks go in the smaller tail bag.

bags02.jpg

The chain is a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit, 5' long, and has a powersports warranty. If someone compromises it and takes your bike, you send them a link or broken lock, and they will pay up to $1250 of your insurance deductable. The first year warranty was free and just a few bucks for up to three years. It's heavy, at 15lbs, but it's worth it.

The disc lock is a Xena. I think I got both of them from eBay.

I work in downtown Kansas City and have to park in a surface lot right next to a bus stop. I lock it to a bicycle rack through the rear wheel and put the disc lock on the front wheel disc. So far, so good.

WGW

• 2 weeks later...

That sounds pretty good. Only problem is the handle bars are a much better conductor than humans are. OTOH, if you used "safety wire" to keep the grips in place and connected them to the leads on the stun gun, that combined with the insulating properties of the hand grips should work well. I'd wire it to the brake light circuit as the trigger. Just don't touch 'em till you've disarmed it.

I've always been a believer in the phrase "you can't steal what you can't touch", although I was only going to use a cattle fencer which smarts like hell if you've never had the experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Pad lock thru the brake is enough. Just use a locker combination lock. No need to lose the key. Most bikes a rolled to a nearby truck or trailer. Having to drag the bike draws too much attention. Park as close to the building where there is the most foot trafic. I remember what my Granddad use to say, LOCKS KEEP HONEST PEOPLE HONEST.

Big lock, chain, and disc lock.

32a.jpg

32b.jpg

Last line of defense is my full coverage insurance policy.

WGW

hi WGW,

i just picked up that same lock and chain, man is that thing a beast, lol, its really massive, and the lock fits perfectly around the fat part of the bikes frame, really happy with it.

how do you like that XENA disc lock alarm?

ive been considering maybe picking up one of those, or just the regular disc lock, does the alarm part work like it should? any battery or other issues with it?

that looks like the XENA XN15, ? thats the one im thinking about getting.

otherwise i will just do what trick_dual_sport mentioned, and just run 2 pad locks through both brake rotors.

Locks keep honest people honest. They do not *stop* theives.

Insure the bike for more than you have in her or for what a replacement will cost you and don;t worry about it. Keep track of what you leave in/on the machine and if it does get stolen you know you will get a newer, better machine. Period.

even my fiddy is insured