Dynatek ignition for TPS stutter?

As I undertstand the issue, you are on the same page with me.

The method I am trying may well detune things a little, but for a DS rider transiting between off road sections, it should not be a problem. For a SM rider, yeah, it is a problem and the CDI is the only acceptable fix. I have no idea if the custom CDI maps improve performance, devrease it or leaves it about the same. I am unaware of back to back dyno runs having been done doing comparison as well as lap times.

I also was curious about the difference in power, especially between the grey wire mod and the Dynatek CDI. This is my dynorun with my stock 2004 WR450, stock exhaust (no end cap), and stock airbox.

I would much rather have this ignition with a map that works, than have to mess with resistors and try to flip a switch while riding. :worthy:

WR450dynoCDIcomparison.jpg

You are funny, Extractor. I don't know how to make this any more clear.

My Wr450 has the studder, no matter what jetting.

I now have a Dynatek CDI.

I made my own map to eliminate the studder.

I have emailed the map to Dynatek, hopefully they will respond soon.

Bloke, with all do respect, its not very clear what your saying. Extractor and I are both wanting to know, if when you got your Dynatek ignition, before you made any custom curves, did you test the preset curves out to see if any of them got rid of the studder? If any, which one/s?

The Extractor asked if any of the preset curves on the dynatek HAVE the studder, and your response is NO. So this makes it sound like the preset curves do get rid of the studder but you made a custom curve anyway. But, on your thread that I just quoted, you make it sound like the Dynatek with the preset curves did not get rid of the studder until you made your own custom map.

Maybe its just me that is confusing things, if so I truly apologize to you ThumperBloke.

By the way, how much is the programming software?

Thanks Bloke.

William, all

Please appreciate that I’m not trying to be clever or anything, just trying to help those that aren’t happy with their WR450s.

OK, so JD has posted some graphs, they are very clear, and he is obviously a highly respected expert.

But, who is to say that another ignition box is the only solution? The very fact that hardly anyone has actually paid out for a new box proves the fact that few are 100% convinced! Why is not everyone doing it???

There is on this very thread someone who has changed the box, and is saying it hasn’t cured the stutter, but is reprogramming it to do that.

<ALARM>!! - is backing off the ignition timing just masking another problem, like pulling the TPS does??

Yes, the UK CDI is different – the number stamped on the unit plus the manual back this up 5TJ-CO is the UK one, and the US is 5TJ-BO

This is a clear fact (good), but no-one knows why or what the differences actually are – we cannot just assume.

There is more than one US bike that has been rejetted and fixed. We need more facts before drawing a clear conclusion. I have offered one solution, if it doesn’t work on US bikes fair enough, but is worth trying surely?

- Steve

There is a small percentage of the WR world that actually get on these online forums and bring this little problem up, thats why not everyone is doing it. I would say that most of the mass public in the world runs their bike's out of tune anyway and it doesn't bother them, not saying that its true, but likely. The thing is, if you do a little research, this TPS problem has been going back just about since the WR came out. I was googling this subject and found some threads back to 02 with the same complaints. Most WR owners that get online realize the problem and just cope with it, I think anyway, I could be entirely wrong, lol.

It's more of an annoyance than a performance problem, so not many people want to fork out $300-500+ to fix it with a better ignition. LOTs of WR owners have just unplugged their TPS and been done with it, yeah they may suffer a little loss of performance, but the reward of no studder at light load cruising outweighs that of a little drop in power on the low-end.

My bike absolutely rips and runs awesome all the way throughout the range, its just when your in the high rpms with hardly any load on the engine that it studders.

Thanks for all the input. We'll figure this out one day, lol.

Ok, i see your point, Ranger. I did not find a map to eliminate the studder with their off-the-shelf ignition, so i used the programming software to make my own map. Now, with my own curve, the studder is gone, and i still have great performance. I emailed Dynatek my map and this is the response i got:

Thank you for your suggestion on the WR450. We agree the curve package should include maps to address the studder or mis-firing during part-throttle application. We will incorporate your part-throttle maps into the ignition system for the WR450, the Wide-Open-Throttle curves will remain the same. This change will include part numbers DFS7-23P for the 2007+ models, and DFS7-27P for the 2003-2006 models, after date code 0929, and CurveMaker after 7/17/09

:worthy:

Now, in other parts of the world, like Australia, the bikes are road worthy from the factory and I here no complaints from down under. I'd like to locate a part number for their bike and see if it is different. Any Aussie riders want to get me a part number for an 08 WR250F and a 08 WR450F?

yes my 08 wr 450 has the stutter :worthy: dont do any road riding so it doesnt bother me much, but on a recent beach ride it was bad! other wr's on the ride were complaining too so i told them the problem.

will do my best for PN's for cdi

I just want to go on record: I've put a bunch of street miles on my 03 WR450 in the past few days, and I've been looking for the studder at various throttle positions, but I notice none. My grey wire is disconnected, and I normally jet my bikes for the season, but I didn't jet for the 100+ temps we're having here in TX right now, so I'm probably a bit rich. I set my TPS a few years ago and never touched it again, so who knows, it could be slightly off from the recommended setting. Has anyone tried setting their TPS to other than stock recommendations?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Ok, i see your point, Ranger. I did not find a map to eliminate the studder with their off-the-shelf ignition, so i used the programming software to make my own map. Now, with my own curve, the studder is gone, and i still have great performance. I emailed Dynatek my map and this is the response i got:

Thank you for your suggestion on the WR450. We agree the curve package should include maps to address the studder or mis-firing during part-throttle application. We will incorporate your part-throttle maps into the ignition system for the WR450, the Wide-Open-Throttle curves will remain the same. This change will include part numbers DFS7-23P for the 2007+ models, and DFS7-27P for the 2003-2006 models, after date code 0929, and CurveMaker after 7/17/09

:excuseme:

TB -

Any chance you can post the Closed, Partial, and Full Throttle

RPM breakpoint and advance values for your WR450 curves.

I just bought an FS and want to make sure I am putting your

work to good use. I will post the results.

Thanks!

TB -

I just bought an FS and want to make sure I am putting your

work to good use. I will post the results.

Thanks!

I have had mine on for over 30days and the studer is gone. The new unit is a little more bulky than the OEM, but it fit's.

Talked with dynatek and they said the fix has been applied to all mappings that come with the new units. I'm still using the stock setting (setting #1 I think), but have a switch ready to install to flip between Map #1 & ? (what ever I hard set). Very happy with the purchuse.

My 2cents.

• 10 months later...

Hey all Im new here, yet an old dirt rider. Im an auto tech and love gadgets. My bike is a wr450f 2005, bike has about 5000 miles on it with reasonable maintenence and care. Ive also added the GYTR exhaust and eliminated the air system with the GYTR carb tuning kit. It has always had that dang part throttle hi rpm bobble/stutter since new, and I knew it was the spark causing it.

Now since Ive came acrossed this forum and found this thread, and wow!!! thank you... I installed the dynatek, and it is friggin awesome, bike rocked!! number three was my favorite setting out of the box,cant wait to tune my own curves for my future hi comp cosworth piston install, with cams. The dynatek is worth the wallet ouch for what it does. I got mine off of ebay for about 255.00 free shipping. Another note, and cool, the bike starts quicker, faster. I dont work for dynatek, and I do know my stuff, this black box rocks!!!

oh, in response about kill switch. the wr uses the 12 volts to power up the cdi. so you cant use the grounding method to kill spark. motorcross/batteryless bikes are different, those you ground to kill. best way to describe for me, im beat from my 90 miles tight trail ride, mostly second gear. i hope i helped here... good night!

Hey all Im new here, yet an old dirt rider. Im an auto tech and love gadgets. My bike is a wr450f 2005, bike has about 5000 miles on it with reasonable maintenence and care. Ive also added the GYTR exhaust and eliminated the air system with the GYTR carb tuning kit. It has always had that dang part throttle hi rpm bobble/stutter since new, and I knew it was the spark causing it.

Now since Ive came acrossed this forum and found this thread, and wow!!! thank you... I installed the dynatek, and it is friggin awesome, bike rocked!! number three was my favorite setting out of the box,cant wait to tune my own curves for my future hi comp cosworth piston install, with cams. The dynatek is worth the wallet ouch for what it does. I got mine off of ebay for about 255.00 free shipping. Another note, and cool, the bike starts quicker, faster. I dont work for dynatek, and I do know my stuff, this black box rocks!!!

oh, in response about kill switch. the wr uses the 12 volts to power up the cdi. so you cant use the grounding method to kill spark. motorcross/batteryless bikes are different, those you ground to kill. best way to describe for me, im beat from my 90 miles tight trail ride, mostly second gear. i hope i helped here... good night!

Sledfreak76,

I have the same WR as you and am stoked to hear how dynatek cured your stutter problem! Since installing mine I still noticed a slight stutter though ? , albeit i only tested it around my block.

Can you give me a rundown of the "mods" you've done? (e.g. Gray wire, TPS disconnectd?, Air Cut Valve mod, etc...)

this page shows the "free mods" for our bikes: http://www.thumperfaq.com/free_mods.htm

Also, i'm not much of a mechanic so sorry if i'm just not getting it......so, should i NOT use the kill switch that is sitting on the left side of the handlebars? Do i have to install an aftermarket kill switch since i now am using the dynatek CDI?

Hello Kinraw, In response to your questions, the stock kill button is ok to use. The concern is if you use one of the leads on the dynatek box to kill ignition, then you have to be correct on wiring it. As for mods on my bike, yes the grey wire is cut, and no mods to air cut valve, tps is still connected, all I did was exhaust system and the air/exhaust injection removal with the appropriate gytr jet kit. The bike is phenominal except the stutter, now taken cared of! The dynatek is awesome! I can feel the difference immediately! Hope I helped and good luck!