What things do people carry in their toolkits ?

What type of things do you carry for medium rides - 40-80 mile loops & things like that ? Of course it's going to vary by bike, but in general. I've put on Tusk crash/brush guards so I'm not really planning on changing levers, is that realistic ? I maintain my ride real well, but maybe I should be planning on fixing my buddy's bikes ? I used to go thru plugs a lot on my 2-stroke but is this as likely on a modern 4-stroke ?

What kind of things most commonly break for you ?

I'm thinking in this order -

plug & related tools

my bikes' most common sockets

screwdrivers

towrope

small visegrip

sounds like you have a good start with your tool selection. I agree with you on the small vise grips, a must tool for the fanney pack. Just make sure you get the 4" with rounded jaws. I have never had good luck with the flat jaw. How 'bout a master link and good quality duct tape. I roll some off on a small plastic tube (something light) about an inch or more around. It will last forever in the pack ( hopefully you won't need it ) Springs on the way as well as that long anticipated 4-stroke! Later

So far, I agree with all the posts on what to include...I have a Moose rally pack with all the listed items...plus one:

Quick Set JB Weld!

that stuff is a lifesaver...spend the 4 bucks and you wont be sorry.

just my 2 lincolns' worth...

HTH

common 1/4 drive metric sockets, all slid over a reversible screwdriver shaft, a 1/4" universal flex. a ratchet with 1/2" of duct tape wrapped around the handle.

axle wrench, master link. a couple allen wrenches.

pliers.

an assortment of about 10 common size bolts/nuts.

Big zip ties.

$20 emergency cash.

Needing a new plug is very rare. I keep it in the car back at the start of the ride. Never been on a ride where someone needed a plug in a 4st yet... Lever can break even with good handguards but you can often rig up a couple of zipties to make it to the end of the ride. :D

That's another thing, you can never have too many zip ties! Preferably different sizes, some as big as you can get. Also, about 4 metres of rope. They make some real light strong rope these days. Great for towing and a million other things... like retrieving bikes, making a swing into a swimming hole, lassoing fellow riders, showing off your knot-tying skills... ?

Assorted tools and fasteners. Spare 2 & 4 stroke plugs. Zip-ties. Safety wire. Epoxy. Power-Bars. Cell-phone. I.D. & Cash. Glock-26/spare mag. Cigar and lighter. Sometimes a small PDA.

You know, the essentials. :D

Manny ?

As I rummage through my fanny pack.....

Small role of duct tape

masterlink

very small crescent wrench (about as long as my index finger)

pliers

Zip ties

Out Backe'er multi tool

Swiss army knife( the blade is good to pick at things with, pry, remove dirt, kill mountain lions etc, etc.

axel wrench

Space blanket and matches :D

jeez, that alot of crap!!! ?