hole in case right by shifter

I went to ride my DRZ400S yesterday, And i noticed this big puddle under my bike. I looked on the side and there apears to be a hole in the side of my case right by the shift lever.

It almost appears that I must have hit something and the shift lever itself put the little hole in my case.

Is this somehting hard to fix. also do they make some kind of guard so this doesn';t happen in the future?

I can post a pick if you guys are not sure what i am talking about.

Thanks

Panaman

what is a CFC? is this going to cost me a lot of money...

Is it hard to take off that side case? do i need to get another one, or should i get it welded?

I am saving my money for my Sept. trip to vegas....

I am almost thinking of putting my bike away for the winter... but I know i can get a few more good rides out of it...

what is a CFC? is this going to cost me a lot of money...

Is it hard to take off that side case? do i need to get another one, or should i get it welded?

I am saving my money for my Sept. trip to vegas....

I am almost thinking of putting my bike away for the winter... but I know i can get a few more good rides out of it...

CFC is an aluminum shield you adhere to the side case. See here: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Catalogs.asp?pdf=ttCFCcase

They are $53 for the combo pack (both sides). Most times you can fix the damaged case the JBweld, although I have not yet had to try this myself.

Mike - ?

Panaman - take the cover off and clean it up really well with brake cleaner. Use JBWeld to seal the hole up. Then you want to install the CFC side covers you will get from the TT store. They are actually stainless not aluminum and are installed by glueing on with silicon adhesive.

One other little hint for you ------

USE THE SEARCH

Panaman - take the cover off and clean it up really well with brake cleaner. Use JBWeld to seal the hole up. Then you want to install the CFC side covers you will get from the TT store. They are actually stainless not aluminum and are installed by glueing on with silicon adhesive.

USE THE SEARCH

? :thinking:Mine are aluminum :devil:

Ok, I ordered both CFC case guards from this site.

Came to 62 bucks 3 day select shipping...

I am so glad this doesn't sound like its going to cost me a lot to fix.

I actually did trying using search.... searched for "case hole" in the drz400 section came up with nothing.

One more thing. I went to www.jbweld.com, it seems like they have many products.... which jbweld product should I use.

Also, these case guards I ordered just stick on with some glue? what kind of glue do i get, Links would be appreciated...

Also, one more thing... is that transmission fluid or oil that leaked out of my bike??

Thanks so much for all the help you guys have given me so far.

USE THE SEARCH

Mine are aluminum too! Did the guys over at CFC make you a special set? Hey Panaman when you get back from Vegas You should consider getting one of my skidplates. It would seriously aid in preventing anymore unwanted holes in your engine.The CFC covers are priceless! I sell my plates on ebay and tell everyone to come here and order the CFC covers as well. Good luck on the strip! ?

Ok, I ordered both CFC case guards from this site.

Came to 62 bucks 3 day select shipping...

I am so glad this doesn't sound like its going to cost me a lot to fix.

I actually did trying using search.... searched for "case hole" in the drz400 section came up with nothing.

One more thing. I went to www.jbweld.com, it seems like they have many products.... which jbweld product should I use.

Also, these case guards I ordered just stick on with some glue? what kind of glue do i get, Links would be appreciated...

Also, one more thing... is that transmission fluid or oil that leaked out of my bike??

Thanks so much for all the help you guys have given me so far.

If it's transmission fluid then I'll be a monkeys uncle. :awww: ... Just oil. ?

Take 'er off, clean her up, bang the dent flat if necessary, apply jbweld (the one that says simply JB WELD, with the two tubes pointed towards each other).. I applied it to the outside in generous amounts, let dry and set 24 hours, put it back on, glue on the case savers and you're good to go. :devil:

That is what fooled me. But they are not magnetic. That is sure tough aluminum :devil:

It is a 5250 aluminum alloy ?

Not all SS is magnetic the bolt we use on secerity doors for the military are stainless and they don't stay in my magnetic driver, (IT SUCKS) I kind of wish cfc's were ss as I've crumpled the left side once but I wouldn't like the weight!

When you put on the CFC shield be very generous with the permatex. It acts as a cushion for your case along with the steel. prairiedawg :devil:

Very true,, But add extra RTV with caution.. There is not that much extra room between the side case and the shifter.. If you space out the CFC cover with too much RTV, you'll find it now interferes with the shifter.. You can guess how I know this a s fact and not just a guess ?

I got the CFC case guards on order....from the TT Shop... still aint here....(probably because of holiday).

I am going to purchase a skid plate also... not sure which one yet...

I have one more question....

Is there some kind of gasket i am going to need when i take the side cover off to fix the hole?

i did the same thing to my case and jb welded it and it workd fine for a long time, but my boot scraped a lot of it off and it started to leak again, i am just gunna take it off and flaten it then reaply the jb weld, then get money and then buy some cfc's