Old dad, young son, not much money - which bike for beginner

First the basic statistics and profile:

I bought my 9 year old a DRZ-110 for Christmas. Now he wants me to ride with him in the desert. I will guess we will ride between 1 time and 4 times a month.

I'm almost 50, 6'1, 175, thin, in reasonable shape. I have never ridden motorcycles of any kind. I am reasonably athletic. Riding location is Phoenix area trails, river washes, and some reasonable hills I presume. No desire for any racing. I am a conservative guy who wants to have fun with my kids. I have no desire to try to go 80 mph to keep up with someone else. I need to avoid serious injury as I am the provider for my family.

I have no mechanical skills but take good care of things and will change the oil, clean the filter, etc. I would like a 4-stroke. Would have to hire out any engine work (expensive) so I want a very reliable, low maintenance bike. I would like to buy a bike that I don't need to sell in 6 months.

After reading a lot of posts, I need help choosing the right bike. I think I would probably prefer a used bike as my budget is very limited. I would like to keep the cost under $2,500 max.

Some of the bikes that seem like they might be appropriate as mentioned on this board include the Honda CRF 230F, Honda XR250, Yamaha WR 250 (R?), Suzuki DRZ 250 E or S, etc. Then there seem to be similar models in the 400 series with some people suggesting starting with a 400 over a 250.

I get all the "F"s and "R"s confused and sometimes the letter is not mentioned. Can you all provide guidance on what I should consider given my limited budget, and what models apply to what years. Also, which years to avoid if applicable to certain manufacturers. Is electric start even an option given my budget and a used bike? If so, what years/models is it available on.

Is the CRF 230 my best choice? Is the XR250 a big jump? Is a WR 250 an option between those two? Is a 400 an option given my profile or would I enjoy a 250 more?

I don't want to spend a lot in modifications, etc. and I definitely do not want a loud bike! Also, does a "green sticker" affect my situation??

Once we determine the specific model and year range, how do I go about finding a good, reliable bike? And what would be typical prices for the recomended model and year?

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate your guidance! (My son will appreciate it too.)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XR250. It will run forever and will not yank your arms out of their sockets.

It is air cooled, so it may not like the AZ heat too much in the summer though.... unless your at altitude?

XR250 all the way, most reliable bike you will find. It doesnt mind the heat either, i ridden in 95+ degree weather, no problems, and ive ridden in 20 degree weather. I have yet to brake 1 part on this bike, and I do ride very hard trails. You will not be dissapointed with the power and reliability of this bike. Any 96+ will be good, with 2500 you should be able to get a 2000 xr250. Good luck with what you choose.

Another option, if you don't choose the XR, would be a KLX 300. They are a moderately powered bike, but they are still light weight, and small enough that a beginner, such as yourself would do fine on it.

-

I would go with a XR250, or if you wnat electric start then a DRZ250. The XR handles sand and tighter stuff better, but the DRZ is more stable at higher speeds. Both very reliable bikes. XR a little more time proven, but there doesn't seem to be any problems with the DRZ. YOu will have to do little to no maitenance on either of these bikes. Just oil, filters etc. If your planning on riding more aggressively, I'd go with the WR, but since your just chasing your kid. The XR should be sufficient.

Suzuki DRZ250 or Yamaha TTR250, seeing how you are getting it to ride with your son you won't want to be waisting time kick starting your bike so I would go with one of these two for the electric start. We have a TTR250 and it has seen a lot of action and it never fails to start....ever. I agree that the XR250 is a great bike but it's a kick start and if kicking a bike over in the extremely hot Arizona desert doesn't bother you then I would go with the XR.

One more thing to consider is aftermarket availability. You may say that you aren't interested in hopping it up. But there is always going to be something. For instance, my dad's DRZ's graphics were messed up really bad and need replaced. There are absolutely NO aftermarket graphics available for it, and the stock ones are $170. Thats outrageous. The DRZ and TTR's aftermarktes are VERY limited. The XR on the other hand has gobs of parts available to it. Basically anything you wanted to do to it. Just another thing to consider

I think it's great that you would consider taking up dirtbiking to spend quality time with your kid. I'm sure you will find it's a challenging and fun sport no matter what age. As far as the right bike for you being what you have described and are looking for, I would also have to agree that the xr250 would be approperate considering your price range. Now if e-start is a must I would lean toward the WR 03 or up. (03 was first year for e-start) But I think it would fall out of your price range. Any ways good luck and happy bike hunting.

XR250 all the way, most reliable bike you will find. It doesnt mind the heat either, i ridden in 95+ degree weather, no problems, and ive ridden in 20 degree weather. I have yet to brake 1 part on this bike, and I do ride very hard trails. You will not be dissapointed with the power and reliability of this bike. Any 96+ will be good, with 2500 you should be able to get a 2000 xr250. Good luck with what you choose.

:naughty::D ...Hands Down!! the best beginner/low maint. bike, with ton's of mod's and technical info available....And this comming from a Yamaha Guy!!.. :D:naughty: ....You can NOT go wrong with this Machine!!

Another vote for the KLX300 - especially if you have a kawi dealer near you. The KLX is bulletproof. It's been every bit as reliable as our XR's and has seen a lot more abuse. The XR's good too though. I'd steer clear of the 230. I think you will grow through it quickly.

For the guy who's Xr has seen 95 degree weather, he's obviously never been to AZ in the summer (up to 120+) LOL! :naughty:

Some good suggestions, only thing I would add might be a KLR250 if you

think you might ever want to use it on the street or link some local trails

on your own while the boy is in school or off doing something else.

Its definitely not an MX bike, but very trail worthy with the right tires.

Of course the DRZ 400 would be another good option, but you would have to

find a used one, and they would be closer to $3-3,500. Very reliable bikes.

Good luck whatever you choose. Welcome to the forum. Hit the southwest

forum when you get your bike for ride buddies & areas you may not know of.

if you dont have that much money to spend on bikes and the such, then i dont think you will be wanting to buy lots and lots of aftermarket arts for a bike. I would recomend eanything with TT-R infront of it for a begginer, i have a TT-R225, and its a great begginer bike, e - start and a relable moter. Its a little on the heavy side, but im 15 and i can lift it (just :naughty:) so for you, a person in reasonable shape (thats somthing you got over me buddy :naughty: to many Mc'D's) i think it, or eany TT-R would be a realy good bike

Don't forget the kdx200! Beginner friendly, rock-solid reliability, twice the pep of the xr250, lighter, and much better for the sand. I know you want a 4stroke for reliability but the kdx is as maintenance-free as it gets.