California dual sport conversions - is it still not do-able or has something changed?

Show me a (dirt)bike with an emission sticker :D

wait a minute I thought you said DS is a waste of good rubber?????

go down to your local Husqvarna dealer. Lift out the quick release seat and there you will find two things:

1.) an emissions sticker

2.) the realization of another rocking reason why Husqvarna is the number 1 dirt bike in the world.

DS on a DRZ is a waste of good rubber. :D Dual sport on a World Champion Husqvarna TE is nirvana. :D:eek:

i just got my 05 wr450 plated. i didnt have to show any emissions sticker. they treat it like a car, after so many years you have to get it smogged.

Sounds like another one that slipped thru due to DMV incompetence. For every one like this, there are many more that get turned down because they don't have "the emissions sticker". The sticker needs to state that the bike meets federal on-highway emissions standards. Some DMV offices know to check for this, some don't.

But fear not.....Husky has stepped up with the new TE610 dual sport. This bike will be street legal in CA direct from the factory. If Husky can do this, so can others. My only beef is that it does not some with a kickstart, something I'd never want to be without in the middle of nowhere. Bump starting is not always an option and pushing is no fun.

R

there are certain things the dmv is looking for, according to what is written. i went to the dmv and asked for a print out of what is need to get the bike plated. they gave it to me. i then called the 800 number and asked them, she said the same thing that i got in person. i asked her if she was sure, and she double checked with a supervisor. my bike is a 05, so i didn't need to have a smog certificate. i have a wr450 and it has a ais, but i dont know how the dmv knows? what the first thing they look for is if there is a 3 or c in the eighth position of the vin, if there is you have no chance. you need title, brake and light certificate, vehicle verification, statement of facts stating you read and understand chp 888, and fill out a application for title. thats it. the dmv i went to only had two people in the building who knew how to do this. the one i got was a certified trainer, i thought i was dust. i said i want to switch it to on road and she asked for the forms and one by one i handed them to her. she thanked me for having all the proper forms ready and handed me a plate and said new title will be sent to me. i asked if she needed proof of insurance and she said no. maybe i did slip through the cracks, but i went by there rules and everything was cool!

Just have your stuff correctly filled out. If a bunch of people go in there with screwed up paperwork someones gonna say something.

Keep asking questions, the info is here. Just dont go in there and say, "John got his CR 500 plated, how do I do it?"

Definitely have the bike inspected by someone other than a DMV person.

I have a plated CRF 450, CRF 250, CRF 230, TTR 125, and a CRF 50. They all have a Carb sticker on the rear fender. If you washed yours off or took it off when you bought it just go to your local dealer and order a new sticker. put it on the bike take it to the dmv for a Vin verification. then go in and ask for the paperwork you will need to dual sport a bike. get the paperwork filled out and have a light inspection done at your local dealer. It is really no problem. The person at the dmv thought I was a dealer and gave me a bit of a hard time but They all have plates on them now. the cool thing is all the plates are in numerical order. I used the same light kit on all of the bikes for the light inspection. and if you have a good dealer they will do the light inspection with out the bike in hand. form you will need are

1. your pink for the bike

2. form 343 application for title or registration x2 fill out section 1 and the Vehicle identification # on top of page. (you need two because you will be getting a new green sticker and a plate.)

3. form 256 Miscellaneous statement of fact x3. on this form you will fill out the vin # and section G in the area write I have read form 888 and will pay for both on and off road reg. off road every 2 years and on road every year. I will also keep insurance on the vehicle. then sign section h. you will also need this filled out 2 times. This is the same form that you get your light inspection on. but they need to be on different forms. so you will need 3 of these.

I suggest doing all this in this order

1. Go to dmv website and get all forms printed out

2. Get Light inspection at your dealer

3. go to dmv for Vin verification

4. Go in to dmv with all paperwork filled out and get your freaking plate.

5. Leave your car at the dmv and ride your bike home......

Sounds like another one that slipped thru due to DMV incompetence. For every one like this, there are many more that get turned down because they don't have "the emissions sticker". The sticker needs to state that the bike meets federal on-highway emissions standards. Some DMV offices know to check for this, some don't.

But fear not.....Husky has stepped up with the new TE610 dual sport. This bike will be street legal in CA direct from the factory. If Husky can do this, so can others. My only beef is that it does not some with a kickstart, something I'd never want to be without in the middle of nowhere. Bump starting is not always an option and pushing is no fun.

R

I love the look of the bike but that seat would, literally, kick my ass. :-(

Okay, I looked at my buddies 04 XR250 and my 04 CRF230 and no 3 or c in the 8th position on vin or engine serial number, but the emmision sticker says meets emmision for off road use. Is this the same as anyone in CA who has the license plate recently? My other bike a KLR650 and has all the vapor recoverey stuff on it. I just got the 650 for more of the backroads and fire roads and want to convert the 230 and 250 so we don't have to load them up drive 20 miles then unload.. then load up again and unload. Just ride.. :D