mxa test on yz450

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's be honest...the YZF has not been even close enough to win the shootout that last few years. BNGs was not going to get it done.

Any reason to put the YZF first and they'll jump at it.....and they have.

I too think it is a good bike this year, just MXA was a little over the top on their review. It it's like they had wood or something.

I did notice an odd bulge in jody's pants while he was riding the 450f.....

Then again, what does that say for me in noticing. Better buy a ticket to brokeback mountain or something.

Seriously, the bike looks incredible. The cost , at least around here, will prevent me from finding out personally.

Yamacrossaction loves a Yamaha. WHAT a surprize ?

How can anyone put any merit into anything they say?

P.S. I'm not dogging the bike(thinking of getting one) but MXA is the most biased mag I have ever wasted my time reading.

You are absolutely right. Our blue bikes suck and if we had half your brains we would all ride red. ?

Thanks so much for your input. Your job is done here. We got the message. You dont need to troll through anymore. :applause::bonk:??

What an idiot! Read the P.S. I never dogged the bike, I dogged the mag. I'm thinking about getting a YZF buy none of that changes my opinion of MXA.

Just think how lucky I'll be if I do get a Yamaha. I'll be able to come on here & maybe gain a small part of your superior knowlege.

Oh & by the way, I'll go & post wherever I want, but thanks for your imput. :applause:

TX30 your right...MXA bites. I cancelled my subscription after 20+ years. It is just too painful and frustrating to read all the misinformation and rehashed reviews......and I AM a Yamaha guy! :applause:

BTW...save yourself the time in reading the reviews in MXA they all go like this......

"Yes Virginia....we added one tooth to the rear sproket. It makes getting to 3rd gear easier" LMAO ~!!!!!!

"Yes Virginia....we added one tooth to the rear sproket. It makes getting to 3rd gear easier" LMAO ~!!!!!!

? LMAO.......... :bonk:

Thanks for seeing what I was talking about. This brand loyalty thing cracks me up. I wonder if I had a Yamaha sign in my sig instead of a honda if I would have gotten the same response :applause:

Yamacrossaction loves a Yamaha. WHAT a surprize :applause:

How can anyone put any merit into anything they say?

P.S. I'm not dogging the bike(thinking of getting one) but MXA is the most biased mag I have ever wasted my time reading.

How can the CRF win when 2 or 3 magazines said it had a "nervous" front end.

That doesn't exactly inspire confidence on a dirtbike.

Keep an open mind man. Maybe its not the best bike anymore.

Well let's be honest...the YZF has not been even close enough to win the shootout that last few years. BNGs was not going to get it done.
That was then, this is now. And a major fork revamp in each of the 4 years is hardly BNG.
What an idiot! Read the P.S. I never dogged the bike, I dogged the mag. ...none of that changes my opinion of MXA.
We all know that you would never have mentioned MXA last year when they agreed with you, either.

You guys evidently can't stand the fact that Yamaha has built a bike that's actaully better than the competition. Not only is the engine more durable, now it's just as powerful as the vaunted CRF (see the dyno charts):

heres the graphs.yamaha got their act together on the motor for sure.

red = yzf

blue = crf

06CRFVS06YZFHP.jpg

06CRFVS06YZFTQ.jpg

On top of that, the handling and suspension is on at least equal footing:

I just bought a 06 yz450f.I've had multiple crf's every year since 03. They improved every year.

1st-anyone who says an 06yz450f doesn't turn,... is a f...idiot.J/K....My last 05crf had RG3 20mm offsets and the linkage. This bike turns way better. I was shocked.... The suspension is some of the best out-of-the box stuff i've ever been on.

Suspension....the 06 suspension is better stock than the 05 stuff even after a revalve. The forks seemed soft at first but they never bottomed and soaked up the braking bumps with ease. The rear never kicked and the bike is very stable and planted on the straights. VERY NICE!

Weight/Handing. I would like to dispell another myth....this bike DOES TURN!! ... The bike turns as good if not better than my YZ250. If you want to carve the inside it will do it. I didn't feel any push or wandering. It was very predictable and went where I wanted it to go. The bike feels a lot lighter in the air and in corners compared to previous YZ450F's. Gone is the "flying brick" syndrome! If feels almost as light as my YZ250 however it felt more planted.

A lot of us who went with the YZ450 in years past did so knowing full well that we had chosen a bike that did not sit on top of the heap in the handling/suspension department, but went with the bike anyway because of the power and extraordinary reliability of the engine and did what we could to improve the rest of it. When one attribute is that important, sometimes you compromise on others.

But now, Yamaha has addressed those issues, and the result is a work of art that is going to set the pace this year, not tail along trying to keep up. 2006 is going to be a great year with the tightened competition between the new bikes. I think it's great. Yamaha caught everyone of guard with the YZ400 and the 250F. Honda came back brilliantly with the CRF450, and began 4 years as the deserving leader of the 450 four-stroke pack, in spite of some obvious problems. Now Suzuki and Kawasaki have answered back, and Yamaha has ended Honda's unquestioned domination of the field. Too bad it bothers you so much.

I'll go & post wherever I want, but thanks for your imput.
OK, but trolling is an adminstratively actionable offense, you know.
Just think how lucky I'll be if I do get a Yamaha. I'll be able to come on here & maybe gain a small part of your superior knowlege.
And you'll be welcomed, even as you are now, as long as you can behave yourself.

Has anybody read the test on the 06 yz450 yet? I just read it and I think they are in love. Good review!

Scan a copy of it for me....the mailman is not done with my copy yet, guess he likes MXA... :applause:

I would like to read it and judge for myself....

At the end of day I could care less what anybody (RacerX, MXA, and etc.) thinks about my bike...as long as I'm happy..moral of the story.

We all think magazine shootouts suck until the bike we own wins...

We all think magazine shootouts suck until the bike we own wins...

You got that right! I skimmed through the MXA article at Bates on Friday........same old generic review they give all bikes. Same review (word for word) of the suspension that they gave the other 06 Yamaha's.....at least they could reword it some. Anyhow....I am less concerned about MXA being pro Yamaha or pro Honda or pro Kawasaki....I am concerned about their lack of detail and for thinking no one will notice they rehash article and reviews over and over.

I don't know if you can categorically make that statement. Several write ups have mentioned the nosed-down feel of the '06 YZ250F, but MXA is the only mag that bothered to change the bars to cure it, and then make a note of that to their readers. I wonder if it's so much the repetitious nature of their writing, or if the manufactures of the bikes being tested are turning out the same thing over and over.

Be thankful that they bother to change gearing (as I recall, they usually dropped teeth on the YZ450) most people would have turned out a bunch of crap about how the bike was wound out in second on the hill, but couldn't quite pull 3rd. remember that one?