2001 Yz 426 Starting Technique

Turn the gas on, kick the bike through with the compression release pulled 2-3 times. Let the kick return to the top and without the compression release pulled find TDC(the hard spot). Pull the compression release and push it one click past TDC(meaning down past the hard spot but only a little). Then let the kick start return to the top of its stroke and kick it HARD all the way down to the foot peg.

Don't play with the gas or anything while your trying to start it. Keep your hand on the master cylinder of the brake if your not sure you can kick it without twisting the throttle. If you already did, you'll need to pull the plug and replace it or wait till tomorrow.

its amazing. i ride with a buddy with the EXACT SAME BIKE AS ME!!... (426...02') only diff is i have a pipe on mine. both bikes valves r in spec...(as r jetting) yet his is a 5th kicker.....mines a 1-2nd. 20 if flooded. hah

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i BOUGHT an 01 426 2 weeks ago and have only gotten it started twice since then. I have been reading on here for days about all the different starting techniques and she still wont fire. I'm guessing the plug is fouled by now? Do you really have to take the gas tank off to change a plug? :crook:

Yes, but it isn't really a big deal. Take the two seat bolts out and remove the seat, remove the rubber retaining strap at the rear of the tank, remove the two tank mount bolts and remove the two screws at the bottom of the rad shrouds, it will lift right off. OH, don't forget to turn the fuel off and disconnect the fuel line. After you have done it a few times it will be second nature. On the up side, you don't have to get to the plug very often. Hope this helps.

Josh

PS. The starting procedure is pretty simple. Cold engine: Choke on, push kicker to the hard spot(compression stroke), pull the decomp lever and push the kicker down about 1 inch, release the decomp, let the kicker back to the top and kick through. This too will become second nature before you know it. These bikes need a good steady kick, not the short strokes like you would use on a two stroke.

Josh

Yeah dont give up, the first two days I got my 02 I think I added another 3 lbs of muscle onto my right thight...and bruised the living hell out of my foot....

After learning how to do it properly she starts in 1 kick every time if shes warm, 3 or so if shes cold.

I wasnt able to get my bike started for the first week or two after I got it. Maybe a good thing, since I would have wanted to ride it, and didnt really know how yet. I dont even find the hardspot, I just got about 2 inches down without finding it, and then give it a good hard kick. It usually works very well, and the bike starts 1st-2nd kick every time.

I love this line in the starting proceedure that Zique posted.

"Enemy tip: If you don't own a YZ-F but want to ruin the day of a YZ-F rider who you don't particularly like, go over to his unstarted YZ and give the throttle four or five healthy twists. The accelerator pump will fill the engine with fuel and it won't start until the following Thursday."

If someone "gave" you this bike, I will bet it has been in storage for a while.

Remove and clean the carb and make sure all passages and jets are clear.

Then do the starting drill. I bet it starts a lot easier.

+1:thumbsup:

Changing the plug would have been the first thing I tried anyway. Cheap and easy to do.

+1:thumbsup:

All good advice. If you just recently aquired the bike, whether in storage or not, it's always a good thing to change out and clean everything you can. Fresh fluids, lubes, plug, etc.

The only way mine would fire is this way

1) Tell it you lucky for owning such a fine machine.

2) Turn on Gas, and choke if needed( dont think about touching that throttle)

3) Stretch while sitting

4) Before it knows your going to try to start it pull kickstart out as fast as possible find TDC and kick the hell out of it.

5) If she dont start turn off gas lay it on its side cause its probably already flooded. (Kicking dirt in its face is exceptable if you promise to clean it shortly after the day of riding)

6) Start over from the top!

Have fun the bike is a great one and just takes some gettin used to!:ride:

i BOUGHT an 01 426 2 weeks ago and have only gotten it started twice since then. I have been reading on here for days about all the different starting techniques and she still wont fire. I'm guessing the plug is fouled by now? Do you really have to take the gas tank off to change a plug? :crook:

YES!

:ride: