The Secrets of the 2008 YZ450F Muffler

wheres my saw-z-all? im making one!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind shortening mine too, but I wonder if it'll change the exhaust tuning? I've already had to weld my exhaust back together and straighten the sub-frame because of the long muffler(I hit a tree stump at speed and did a synchronized front flip with my bike when passing a mate on some single trail, didn't even see it, maybe there was too much blurry vision going on? Although, I don't plan on ever doing that again, short or long muffler!)

I hoped also for a more technical solution. I know this approach from some enduro silencers, but with the full length to reduce to 93db.

But on the other side, the short silencer will come in USA only. In Europe we will have the good old long version, because of the new rule with 94db. So nothing which will make sense to change in Europe.

Martin

Cutting down a stock pipe is a waste....no gains what so ever.....power or less sound

I think this 08 is interesting but will be very restrictive......the design probably is patented so no one else can copy it - meaning no aftermkt like replacement.

If I had a 08....I would be saving for a aftermkt pipe made for a 08.

Cutting down a stock pipe is a waste....no gains what so ever.....power or less sound

I think this 08 is interesting but will be very restrictive......the design probably is patented so no one else can copy it - meaning no aftermkt like replacement.

If I had a 08....I would be saving for a aftermkt pipe made for a 08.

I doubt it's patentable. The design isn't new in any way, really. Then again, Japanese patent law is a bit bizarre....

I doubt it's patentable. The design isn't new in any way, really. Then again, Japanese patent law is a bit bizarre....

Eh? Why wouldn't it patentable? If they filed in Japan and if they didn't file in the states then it wouldn't hold up here, but usually they would file in multiple countries. They can file for the ornamental design or the actual performance design itself, which would likely be a sound reducing based patent since it carries a 96DB limit. These are very unique designs even if you feel there isn't anything new in any way. ?

I mentioned it only because forever the Jap manufacturers seem to get off on crazy patents...like the Honda cable routing etc.....The 08 pipe looks interesting and it probably is lighter,,,,but unfortunately probably more restrictive to power output....my guess:prof:

Cutting down a stock pipe is a waste....no gains what so ever.....power or less sound.

It says the new muffler is .6 pounds lighter (a big weight saving in race bike terms), and it's also much less prone to damage if the bike flips or whatever. I'd prefer to have one on my bike for those reasons, but as you mentioned, I wonder if it saps much power?

the Jap manufacturers seem to get off on crazy patents...like the Honda cable routing etc.....

They haven't used drum brakes for a while, they use hoses nowadays.(I know that's what you meant but I couldn't resist pointing it out)?

Take a look a the front brake routing on any yamaha from 2005 and earlier and then take a look at the honda. Quite a ridiculous patent but it stood up

They haven't used drum brakes for a while, they use hoses nowadays.(I know that's what you meant but I couldn't resist pointing it out)

Take a look a the front brake routing on any yamaha from 2005 and earlier and then take a look at the honda. Quite a ridiculous patent but it stood up

Yeah, I knew which patent he was talking about, that's why they call it "CR style" routing of the front brake hose, but not "CR style" cable routing.

Tip: If you want to quote another post, just hit the quote button and then erase what you don't want to include in your post.

Anything is patentable, particularly in Japan (as in the example of the hose routing), but I was under the impression, perhaps erroneously, that there had to be an element of precedence, that is, there has to be something about the process or concept which was either new or distinctive in some way, and as was pointed out earlier, the layout of the core in this muffler is nothing new. But stranger things have certainly already happened.