First Crash - Shifter Hit Case!!

Well not really a crash... I parked it in the driveway with the kickstand down while it was warming-up this morning. I turned around to grab my helmet, and crash - the bike was on the ground!!! ?:busted: I'm not really sure why the bike fell - maybe because the bars were too strait?? No matter - the bike was on the ground (still running) - I killed it and stood it back up. At first glance the only issue seemed to be the end of the clutch lever being broken and some light scratches on the peg. I was in a hurry to get to work and I could still use the clutch fine so I hopped-on and rode it to work.

When I got to work, I gave the bike a closer inspection and found this:

Crash.jpg

Looks like the shifter was pushed into the case!! There is no oil leaking and the bike rode/shifted fine all the way to work (13 miles). Yes I know that I need case covers, but I'm worried that the dent is going to cause issues with the engine... How can I fix this??

Thanks

Many DRZers file and smoothe the sharp corners on the back of the shifter. Also, may install case gaurds. The side covers on the engine are magnesium castings and often crack insted of bending. You were right on the cusp!

The dent will not be a issue though a second fall wil/may crack the cover, leaking oil. Get case savers.

My SM did the same thing while I was running over to push the sidewalk crossing button (stuck at a light on a busy street). Unfortunately mine went completely through. I didn't notice until I got to work ? Luckily I have a short commute and I didn't lock up my motor.

My S has case savers, installed on Day 1.

Same thing happend to me shortly after I got my 2002 DRZ. I bought a new side case....(fixed the old one with JB Weld to kepe as a spare.)

I recently had to put a stator in my bike....had to take the sidecase off...noticed several cracks on the inside of the case.....Sanded and cleaned it well and JB Weld'ed it.

Do searches....alot of people fix the cases with Jb Weld.

I think you could lay the bike over so the oil runs away from the crack...sand it and clean it well and fill the hole with JB Weld.....sand smooth when it dries.

I took a grinder to the back of my shifter so it's not so sharp...and then I made a stainless steel guard to go between the shifter and case. I bolted the guard to the 3 starter cover bolts.

Same thing happend to me shortly after I got my 2002 DRZ. I bought a new side case....(fixed the old one with JB Weld to kepe as a spare.)

smcelhe - how much did it cost to replace your side case?? Call me anal, but I'm not sure that I'm a fan of just slapping-on the case savers and forgetting about the incident...

Side case is about $130.....$5 for gasket.....

It's not too bad of a job....I've done a couple....(brother and friend has drz's)

Thing is.....if you ride off-road....it's going to happen again. Something is going to hit it.....(we have rocks in Pa.)

At this point I have no plans to go off-road - the stock dunlops on my SM don't seem like they would be very fun in the dirt. 90% of my riding will just be a cross-town commute.

What would you guys do given the situation?? Make sure that it isn't leaking oil and then just slap the case guards on and forget about it? Or replace the side case and then put on guards??

I was in the same boat as you....new bike that fell over on the driveway while warming up.....I put a new case on.....I JB Weled the old case to have as a spare. The JB Weld does a nice job.....sand the area well....clean it....the JB Weld will fill the hole....file/sand the excess. JB Weld is almost the color of the sidecase.....you'll never see the spot.

I used JB Weld in friends cases....it works great.

Thanks guys - I ordered the case savers and I'll use the JB before I put them on. Just for reference, are there any tutorials/pics of using JB weld on here? I'm sure it's a fairly easy project, but pics always help.

Thanks

? Might want to look at this :busted:

Well not really a crash... I parked it in the driveway with the kickstand down while it was warming-up this morning. I turned around to grab my helmet, and crash - the bike was on the ground!!! :ride:? I'm not really sure why the bike fell - maybe because the bars were too strait?? No matter - the bike was on the ground (still running) - I killed it and stood it back up. At first glance the only issue seemed to be the end of the clutch lever being broken and some light scratches on the peg. I was in a hurry to get to work and I could still use the clutch fine so I hopped-on and rode it to work.

When I got to work, I gave the bike a closer inspection and found this:

Crash.jpg

Looks like the shifter was pushed into the case!! There is no oil leaking and the bike rode/shifted fine all the way to work (13 miles). Yes I know that I need case covers, but I'm worried that the dent is going to cause issues with the engine... How can I fix this??

Thanks

:busted:1: What is it I've heard about the motor side cases being thin and fragile on the DRZ?

A: The side case covers on the DRZ are made from thin magnesium and prone to damage in a fall. You can easily protect them with an add on cover. One such cover is made for Thumper Talk, available from the Thumper Talk store

It is applied with silicone adhesive, but any of the automotive silicone gasket makers will work just fine. The permitex Ultra series, in black is a favored choice.

2: I heard something about the shifter needing a modification?

A: From the factory, the back side of the shifter has a sharp edge to the casting. If left as is, it can and will puncture the side case in a fall. The shifter should be removed and have those sharp edges rounded over to prevent this.

:ride:2.1: I am having trouble getting a good shift from 1st to 2nd, 3nd to 3rd, and back, Is there something easy I can do to fix this??

A: A simple fix that often works is to remove the shifter, and move it one spline up or down to suite your riding position. Another issue newer riders have is being too timid when shifting.. It’s not a kick, but not a gentle lift either. You need to shift with some authority. The DRZ transmission shares its lube with the motor, so what you feed it, feeds the trans. Most rides can feel a difference in better shifting when using a quality synthetic oil.. With out getting in a what oil is better discussion.. Simply try it for shifting feel.. If you think it shifts better, then use it for that reason it self, if no other.

Additionally there are longer shifters if your feet and extra long, as in the size 13 range. White Brothers sells one, and it can be found in the TT store