Kick Starter for '04' DRZ-400

is there a factory or aftermarket kick starter kit for my '04' DRZ-400 E? If there is, who ids the manufacturer and where can i get it? ?

You can get one directly from the Thumpertalk store like I did!! ? It is made by Suzuki and it bolts right on but you do have to know how to take the right cover and clutch off of your bike. If you can do all your own maint. you should be good to go! ?

PS When you install the kit be sure to go to the FAQ section and pull down the instructions AND I would do the water pump fix AND the primary nut fix at the same time, that is unless you have already done them. ?

You had better check with the TT store to see if the kit is still available from them. It was an OE suzy part. The TT store is not currently selling OE parts. At least not online.
ThumperTalk OEM Parts Store

ThumperTalk OEM Customers,

Effective immediately, we will temporarily not be taking orders for OEM parts. To date, we’ve fulfilled OEM parts as a service to our customers in partnership with a company called Generation MX. Those that have made purchases previously may have seen the Generation MX name on their credit card statements.

We’re in the process of bringing OEM parts completely in-house, directly under our control in an effort to greatly expand the models covered, to improve the ordering, order status and tracking processes, to centralize customer service, speed order processing time and allow for the combining of OEM and after market parts orders (currently not possible).

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you, but we're confident that the end result of these efforts will be worth it.

If you have a pending order and you require customer service, please utilize the following:

Phone: 1.630.388.9399

Email: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/articles.asp?ID=124

No matter,$200 is a good deal, if that is delivered to your door, then about the best I have seen.

• 1 month later...

thanks to the clear instructions from the FAQ my buddy and i just finished the factory kick-starter for my '04'-E about 2-2 1/2 hr job. it took a little longer than expected (mainly due to not having the correct specialty tools) but i'm pretty stoked as this will add confidence to the longer rides. not bad for my first real mod. thanks for the addvace of all who responded to my thread.

Curious, I just looked up the kit that is for sale on ebay. It says that it will only fit the E model. Is there one available that will fit on the SM model as well? I know there is, I have seen them on here.

What is the difference between the kit for the E model and the SM model?

What is the difference between the kit for the E model and the SM model?

The kit was made specifically for the E model and comes with a manual compression release assembly. Since the S/SM have auto decompression release already built-in those manual decompression parts are not needed/used on a S/SM install. All other parts in the kit work just fine with the S/SM and there are a couple threads that detail this out along with a couple errors/omissions in the otherwise excellent mr.cobb instructions that can cause engine damage if not done correctly.

What you need to do is use the Suzuki instructions in combination with the Mr. Cobb instructions while taking note of the issues pointed out in this thread.

If you jack up the screw heads in this step.. no fear! the replacement screws are readily available at Home Depot in the hardware isle. Note: A hand impact driver is the key to removing these screws without messing them up.

• 7 months later...

I know - old message thread...

But, this morning I sat with my electric jacket liner turned on while

waiting for a ferry. When I went to start the bike, no joy.

I tried to bump start - maybe the prev owner upped the compression,

but I couldn't get it on level pavement (tire skidded in 1st or 2nd gear).

Pushed the bike up the dock to where it was uphill, then up the hill.

Roll started the bike. The 6:40 ferry was gone & the next one was at 7:55

(our gov't thinks there's something reasonable about a 1:15 gap in ferries

during the peak commute times instead of the normal 25 to 35 minutes)

If I can find a deal that will suit my tightwad dendencies the kickstarter

will be my next mofification.

BTW, how much weight does the kickstarter add?

(At least it's near the center of mass).

BTW2, the OEM part no. is 26300-29811

Best deal I've seen at a retailer is $188

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/kick-starter-set-drz400.html

There is one on eBay for $180.

I'd like to find a kit someone bought but never got around to installing

(I have done this a few times myself - sold bikes before finishing mods I bought).

It's also a safety item... I almost ran my son (Drew) over in our driveway

once when I push started the DRZ in the downhill driveway and when the

bike fired it threw me back on the seat so that I had the throttle turned

for about 1/2 second.

The old OEM part number has been superceded by a new one: 26300-29812

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine in the mail yesterday, will install on Saturday.

I have read several message threads and printed Mr. Cobbs' pictures out.

It'll be good to have a backup plan (bump start didn't work for me).

Will the kickstarter work with a low batt, or does the low batt not

provide enough juice for the ignition system and make the kickstart futile?

Thanks to everyone who pointed out other message threads which will

save me from possible pitfalls. :bonk: