Gettin' there (for the whole damn family)!

Here’s how I take the whole family riding!

As storage space is always limited, I wanted to find a trailer that could do double or triple duty (bikes one weekend, moving a friend the next, taking a load of weeds/trash to the dump the next). I ended up with a 7 X 10 Carson landscaping trailer. It’s pretty heavy-duty and with a couple of sheets of 4 X 10 plywood for sides, can haul just about anything I need to haul.

My initial problem was that the front wheels of the bikes would incrementally bounce sideways going down the road without something to hold them straight. So, I fabricated a wheel “holder” out of a 6 X 6 piece of pine (cheap) and some old paint. It drops into the front of the trailer and holds three bikes beautifully (quads don’t need their wheels held as they’re too stupid to try to get away).

059.jpg

I always put the bikes in first and slowly drive a quad up the middle. Doing it the other way around you might snag a radiator shroud on the back of the quad and be very pissed-off (don’t ask)!

060.jpg

Once the forward machines are in, I put a bike or quad sideways across the back and then throw all the other crap around them (gear bags, gas cans, fire wood, chairs). By the way, I normally use about a dozen tie-downs, but for the pictures I just used enough to hold them in place.

061.jpg

063.jpg

When I put a bike across the back I had the same problem with the front wheel bouncing to the side so I made one more wheel holder and, since this holder didn’t have anything to keep it in place, I smeared silicon seal on the bottom and back. (It doesn’t move but I doubt it would’ve moved anyway.)

064.jpg

067.jpg

066.jpg

065.jpg

And when we run out of room in the trailer, I drain the gas on the 100 and throw it in the back of the van so we can take all the toys! (Although that's too much freaking work, taking the back seat out is a pain!)

• Like 1

Nice setup. Its nice to figure out a way to get all the toys there without taking several trucks. Oh and is that your rainbow Hula Hoop in the background?? J/K :busted:

My 2 favorite sports - Motocross and Hula Hoop!

A daughter swings that thing for an hour without stopping, I'm good for about 3 revolutions.

(I lay the little bike on its side in the back of the van on a couple of old sleeping bags, that's why I drain the gas.)