my 05 crf450r getting hard to start..

its a 05 crf 450r. it used to start first kick ever time. now it takes me about 20 kicks. this is for the first time of the day. once ive ridden it for 5 minutes itll start first kick after that.

Check the valve clearance. might be time for a valve job.

• Like 1

ok you guys are right. I kinda of had a feeling that my valves were getting close to done. its an 05, shimmed in 07. shimmed again at the end of 08, now theyre sounding a bit weird and hard to start.

so what needs to be replaced?

what exactly am I doing to need to purchase/do?

can I do it myself?

is replacing valves hard?

what tools do I need?

stainless steel or titanium valves?

do my seats need to be recut? I remember reading that someone here on TT will do this for me for a price.. who? and how much?

how many times can your valve seats be cut before you cant cut them anymore?

thanks.

ok you guys are right. I kinda of had a feeling that my valves were getting close to done. its an 05, shimmed in 07. shimmed again at the end of 08, now theyre sounding a bit weird and hard to start.

so what needs to be replaced?

what exactly am I doing to need to purchase/do?

can I do it myself?

is replacing valves hard?

what tools do I need?

stainless steel or titanium valves?

do my seats need to be recut? I remember reading that someone here on TT will do this for me for a price.. who? and how much?

how many times can your valve seats be cut before you cant cut them anymore?

thanks.

Too many questions all at once. Maybe you could try using the search button on this thread first?

I have a 05 too. Mine did the same thing after 4 years of perfect running, then after one shimming the valves streched too much and couldnt be shimmed anymore. It was hard to start and made a wierd tapping noise at idle. I replaced all 4 valves with oem, and while it was apart I put a new piston in also oem. I dont want to tear it down twice. There are guys on here that hate oem, but If mine lasted that long It must have been good stuff to begin with. Hopefully it will give me another 4 years. It cost about 300 or so.

Too many questions all at once. Maybe you could try using the search button on this thread first?

wow seriously, they were all basic as hell questions and only required one word answers. come on man.

Get a manual! Check the clearances, replace the shims.

Could also be the hotstart stuck in the carb and the pilot jet being plugged. Again a manual will be your best friend

done, done and done. I have shimmed twice already. def not the hotstart or clogged jet. I am going to take the bike apart tonight and re check my clearances... which adds another question: what should my clearances be?

I have a 05 too. Mine did the same thing after 4 years of perfect running, then after one shimming the valves streched too much and couldnt be shimmed anymore. It was hard to start and made a wierd tapping noise at idle. I replaced all 4 valves with oem, and while it was apart I put a new piston in also oem. I dont want to tear it down twice. There are guys on here that hate oem, but If mine lasted that long It must have been good stuff to begin with. Hopefully it will give me another 4 years. It cost about 300 or so.

did you do the valve springs too? did you get your valve seats cut? did you install the piston yourself? did anything need to be done to the sleeve? were any special tools required?

thanks.

yeah dude, do some research first...try to check your clearances first and see how you make out with that

im obviously a noob here and wasnt 100% sure which valves to measure.

to access the rear ones I need to take the cam assembly off right?

I measured the 2 valves at the front of the engine and this is what I got:

the left one was: 0.33mm or 0.13 inches

the right one was 035mm or 0.15 inches

are those pretty bad?

im obviously a noob here and wasnt 100% sure which valves to measure.

to access the rear ones I need to take the cam assembly off right?

I measured the 2 valves at the front of the engine and this is what I got:

the left one was: 0.33mm or 0.013 inches

the right one was 0.35mm or 0.015 inches

are those pretty bad?

ok, so turns out I was measured my exhaust valves (thanks for telling me guys)

the exhaust is supposed to be .25 - .31mm... I have .34mm. so they are loose, and needs to be shimmed up approx .07mm right? (this will be its 3rd shim)

I havnt measured the intake.. I assume the cam assembly needs to be taken off to measure them? their specs are .13 - .19mm according to the manual.

and my spark plug should be 1 - 1.1mm... where exactly do I measure to get this number? in between the electrode tipthing and the 90 degree piece of metal thats in front of it?

thanks

Just a tip, that same book also explains(with pictures) how to check your valves:bonk:

no it doesnt. its a clymer which sucks. pictures are black and white and shitty, and instructions are very vague.

I learned how to check my valves via a free youtube video is 1000x better than the manual I paid 40$ for.

I just need your guys advice now.

no it doesnt. its a clymer which sucks. pictures are black and white and shitty, and instructions are very vague.

I learned how to check my valves via a free youtube video is 1000x better than the manual I paid 40$ for.

I just need your guys advice now.

http://www.racerxonline.com/article/honda-crf450-online-service-manual.aspx

Honda CRF450 Online Service Manual

Jan 28 2009 9:31AM

ASHEVILLE, North Carolina - The Cyclepedia Press LLC Honda CRF450 online motorcycle service manual features detailed full-color photographs, color wiring diagrams, complete specifications with step-by-step procedures performed and written by a veteran Honda dealer trained motorcycle technician.

This online manual provides subscribers with instant access to service information for 2002-2007 Honda CRF450R motocrossers and 2005-2008 Honda CRF450X offroad motorcycles. The manual is fully keyword searchable and all repair topics can be conveniently printed. Subscribers can choose from three different subscription plans starting at just $23.95. There are no shipping fees, no waiting and technical support is just a click away.

Cyclepedia Press LLC

www . cyclepedia . com

828-994-0841