Are you considering linkage-less CRF100 supension? (pics)

Maybe this will help. Found some old pics of my conversion the other day and thought they could be used as some reference for those considering the build.

As you can see a new upper shock tower had to be fabricated. I chose to make a 3-position upper shock mount that enabled me to change the shock angle without changing the ride height or swingarm angle. When going into this mod I did alot of research but still didn't now exactly which shock angle would work best with my shock. Having the ability to adjust the angle allowed me to fine tune the feel and experiment with different adjustments for different tracks/terrain.In this pic it's in the middle setting. The shock is an Elka with 1200lb spring rate, remote resevoir, and 30 rebound/30 compression clicker settings 100chassis.jpg

I also found this old pic from the same day but with the body work installed. I thought this would give a better idea of the swingarm angle I chose. Too steep and the chain will wear through the slider. Not enough angle and you probably won't get the full stroke out of the shock. This set up shown has a full 8 inches of rear wheel travel100chassis2.jpg

This is close to how she sits now. Of course I couldn't leave well enough alone. The OEM forks have been Teal Ti-Nitride coated. I also built a custom "low boy" exhaust with a stainless-steel header and CRF250F muffler. And I decided to change out the bodywork for a new '09 Factory CRF450 look (white rear fender and all). Should get some pics of the new look soon.nonpipeside.jpg

Anyway, hope this helps anyone out there thinking of tackling this mod. It's not too tough as long as you have the tools, are somewhat "motorcycle smart", and are patient. It took me a little over a year to get this bike finally completed, working on it whenever I had the chance and using basic hand and power tools.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help,

Ryan

Great Thread!

Every time I see your bike.. I'm in aaaahh!

Can't wait to see your latest creation! With the low boy CRF250 slip on.?

Ryan, did you gusset inside the back bones wish bone? lol, You know... Below the stock shock mount? For extra rigidity.

Hope you don't mind.. I saved a few pictures from a search (back in the day) of another TT member that also went with a pit bike style shock conversion. Figg'r I'd share them with you guy's.

I apologize for not saving/remembering his user name.

0926072158a1.jpg

09230717061.jpg

Thanks Gman.

Yeah, the bike is really coming around. The new pipe looks unreal...has a factory/works feel and looks nothing like any other 100 pipe out there. Tons of low and mid with super-quick throttle response! Deep throaty sound too:busted: If the weathers nice this weekend I'll try and get some pics for ya.

I did reinforce the backbone of the frame along with the wishbone part too. I know it's tough to see it in the pictures. Maybe if someone needs I can take some closeup shots of the tower and post them up.

I started a custom shock project of my own. When I amputated the stock shock mount. Well lets say.. Its look'n a little less than stout for my big ass.

I have to ask. What pathway did you use for the header on the low boy pipe? It doesn't SEEM possible, to go In between the engine and the foot peg on a newer XR/CRF chassis, like the XR 75's. I was think under the peg for my retro? Or around the left side and under the carb kind like the old DG pipes?

I started a custom shock project of my own. When I amputated the stock shock mount. Well lets say.. Its look'n a little less than stout for my big ass.

I have to ask. What pathway did you use for the header on the low boy pipe? It doesn't SEEM possible, to go In between the engine and the foot peg on a newer XR/CRF chassis, like the XR 75's. I was think under the peg for my retro? Or around the left side and under the carb kind like the old DG pipes?

Maybe "low boy" was the wrong term ? and I'll have to get a pic to show ya'. I didn't go old school, 75 style. The header drops out of the head down towards the clutch cover, then loops back up towards the carb, then corners straight back towards the muffler. It looks alot like the pipe the current 450 race machines are using.

Sweet. It should look pretty good with the '09 look. Where are you getting the rear fender from?

I used CRF70 plastic so getting a white fender was pretty easy. Pretty much all colors are available for the CRF70

That is one great looking bike.? Looks like you have a lot of time into the exhaust. How does it sound?

Sounds deep and actually pretty quiet considering.....but when you get on it......she really sounds good!

• 3 months later...

looks great!

Im thinking about something like this. what swing arm is it? Im a little afraid of changing the airbox to get the place for it. Did Y have to change something in the carburator?

• 2 weeks later...