DR-Z(FCR) vs. DR-Z(SSW/MRD) The Verdict (w/ crummy video added)!!!!

"crobi76(Chris)" & I are about to put our bikes in a head to head drag race, hopefully in a 1/8 mile drag race. We have a desolate road nearby in mind, and it will more happen on a weekend. This is to determine the "noticeable" difference between a FCR 39 powered bike(his) and a DJ kitted "stock" carb bike(mine).

I finally rode his bike with a "newly installed FCR 39 carb" on the way home last night. I must say, it felt like his bike can definitely get up to speed with less effort.

He thought that my bike was more peppy than his was when his bike still had the "stock" BSR carb(w/Yosh RS-2). He says probably because of the SSW/MRD(open).

So, we're going to put both bikes to the test. Non-FCR vs. FCR.

My bike: 2007 DR-Z 400sm

- "stock" BSR carb w/ DJ kit

- 3 x 3 mod

- SSW/MRD exhaust(open)

- "stock" 15/41 gearing

His bike: 2009 DR-Z 400sm

- FCR 39 carb w/ JD kit

- 3 x 3 mod

- Yoshimura RS-2 "carbon" exhaust(open).

- "stock" 15/41 gearing

Which bike will come out at the top? Will the FCR bike leave the "stock carb'd" in the dust?

Obviously, we will have to make a few passes to make it happen. Switch bikes, etc., etc. Hope to catch it on camera as well, even a crummy one, so everyone will be able to witness.

Edited by smrookie

After riding Cesars bike with the SSW/MRD, I do think it would be a close race. I am strongly considering selling my Carbon Fiber Yosh RS-2 for the SSW/MRD. The Yosh looks sweet and is quiet, but I think the MRD would give me a little more oooomph. Besides my neighbors don't need to sleep or be able to hear their TV's right. It was hard enough spending $500 on the Yosh. Now another $500 for the MRD. I guess it will depend on what I can get out of the Yosh pipe. Maybe Dave has an incentive program for Yosh converts.

I bet it ends up close, Cesar. What gearing are you guys running? It should be the same to make the results as valid as possible.

Good point. I am stock gearing. Cesar, did you change your gearing back after the last track day?

You need to not only run head to head on your own bikes, but then switch back and see the results.....when it comes to this kind of thing, its more about the riders than the bikes themselves. If one bike pulls on the other run after run regardless of rider, then you can safely assume that it's the faster of the two machines.

You need to not only run head to head on your own bikes, but then switch back and see the results.....when it comes to this kind of thing, its more about the riders than the bikes themselves. If one bike pulls on the other run after run regardless of rider, then you can safely assume that it's the faster of the two machines.

Ahem....that's....pretty much what I said. Ahem!

FCR bike will/should win. At the current level of tune, the difference in pipes is not that great. But the carb is. I assume the jetting is spot on in both bikes and there are no other differences other than the carbs and pipes?

Who is holding the money?

Well...since the FCR bike does have an aftermarket pipe already...you might be right. If it were a stock pipe...I'd still bet on the MRD.

FCR bike will/should win. At the current level of tune, the difference in pipes is not that great. But the carb is. I assume the jetting is spot on in both bikes and there are no other differences other than the carbs and pipes?

Who is holding the money?

Fortunately, no $$ involved. Just for informational purpose only, and maybe FCR bragging rights.

I have experienced the FCR vs. "stock" carb in the past. Both times on the track. In this video, "blockpass270(black DR-Z in front of camera)" is set up the same as me, but he was running the FCR. We are both running the SSW/MRD w/ the quiet insert. I noticed him reeling me in the straights, but when we got to the corners, I was pulling ahead coming out of the corners faster. I'm assuming that was probably because I regeared to a 14/44 and he was running 14/39-41(?) at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgcSrwhFKpE&feature=PlayList&p=511C210BA83EDB15&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Fortunately, no $$ involved. Just for informational purpose only, and maybe FCR bragging rights.

I have experienced the FCR vs. "stock" carb in the past. Both times on the track. In this video, "blockpass270(black DR-Z in front of camera)" is set up the same as me, but he was running the FCR. We are both running the SSW/MRD w/ the quiet insert. I noticed him reeling me in the straights, but when we got to the corners, I was pulling ahead coming out of the corners faster. I'm assuming that was probably because I regeared to a 14/44 and he was running 14/39-41(?) at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgcSrwhFKpE&feature=PlayList&p=511C210BA83EDB15&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

The result should be interesting my father and i both have drz's mine with a newly fitted fcr mx , full fmf exhaust(not the best i know) and 3x3 i keep teasing him that i'll leave him for dead as his bike has standard but jetted carb and scorpion exhaust. As yet i have not tried my bike since the mods and hope after all my big mouthing i'm not left eating humble pie!!!!

Is there an actual drag strip near you guys? If there was, your trap speeds would tell the story. While poor launches or botched shifts due to rider error could skew the elapsed times, trap speeds will indicate which of the two bikes is making the most power. Higher trap speed points to more power (given equal gearing and similar rider/bike weight).