Stop that annoying drip for just $7, strictly confidential!

Yuk yuk, see what I did there? :bonk:

It doesn't seem to be a common problem, but a leaking selector disc in the fuel tap/petcock can be expensive to fix. Average I have seen is $60 for new OEM and ~$30 for a questionable used one. With mine, fuel doesn't leak out from under the knob; it just won't stop flow to the carb. I have seen OEM repair kits for $10, but the tap I have is held together with rivets, not screws. Drilling them out in a repair attempt could very well lead to rendering it unusable, so I played it safe and got this instead:

b6991e28.jpg

It's a Briggs & Stratton #5091 fuel shutoff for lawnmowers. It replaced a small(and restrictive) inline filter I had, flows quite well, cost $6.99, and is a common stock item in many hardware and home improvement stores. I don't see it as a permanent fix, just one to buy some time. It might even be worth carrying one in the "kit" for those that go on long cross country rides.

It may seem like a no-brainer, but I didn't think of this until after I found a gallon of gas under my bike despite the petcock being shut off. Yeah, that's another problem in itself, but at least it alerted me to the bad selector disc. :banghead:

Ya, whatever happened to rebuildable petcocks? They all used to be that way, but I guess it cheaper to rivet them together. I have used those before and they last for a year or a bit more before they stop sealing well when off. However, at $7 who cares.

I've tried the remove the rivets and replace with some other fastener method. The petcock that I tried it on just was not set up well for screws. There just was not enough material for the threads.

Ya, whatever happened to rebuildable petcocks?

No joke.

I've repaired two or three of these Honda petcocks. Drill out the rivets. The face and knob will come out. There is a large gasket in back of it. It's a thick rubber disk with I-can't-remember-how-many holes in it. I think there are four holes, but only three of them are used. One for incoming gas, one for reserve and one going out to the carb. On the petcocks I've fixed the damage to the gasket was obvious so I rotated the damaged section to the unused location and riveted the thing back together. Obviously you're putting old rubber back in the thing, but you can't find a replacement gasket for the thing anyway. So the next time the thing breaks you'll have to replace it completely.

I had this problem with mx 75mx this year,but it leaked everywhere.K&L makes the little rubber thingy for a lot of bikes but of course not in the size i needed.

I finally found a NOS (OEM)part on flea-bay for 40 bucks.Until then i used a cheap inline one.

Must be a liability thing,not being able to rebuild them...Don't get me started on THAT issue!

Funny you post this as I picked up a similar one from VatoZone last Summer. For a few bucks, it'd certainly come in handy for something.

My 450X petcock would leak so badly that I could leave the gas off, and ride all day. "Turn the gas on, Dummy"-proof. :banghead:

I searched for the little diaphragm, but to no avail, it was always listed as an "assembly", and I ordered a new petcock from the local shop for around $30. No biggie, but still, I hate spending 10x what it should have cost.

Hopefully, the collective here can ID which diaphragm will work on our bikes from sites like this: http://www.sudco.com/k&lfuelhon.html

This is a $3 part: 20-0026TN.jpg

I should have clarified that I tried to do the petcock fix on my 80 CM400 and that was the one with not really enough metal to get the crews to hold. I ended up breaking it. That said my XR will likely start leaking tomorrow. :banghead:

The earlier 70's Honda CB's use the same type of rubber piece and those are fully rebuildable. I found with several different rebuild kits including measurements of the rubber parts. I'll see if I can dig that up again.

I'm having this problem on my XR650R and the selector is NOT riveted on so it is replaceable IF you have the right size selector gasket. As ya'll have said there are tons of rebuild options for older bikes but It would mean Special ordering from my dealer/online dealer or aftermarket retailer a variety of $3 OEM parts with HOPES that one matches. but returning the others will mean (depending on where I get it from) I'll get charged a restocking fee or return shipping fee. But after that I'd know which bike one will work? I have limited experience with other Honda bikes (other than other XR's) but seeing the prices the complete petcock runs I'm tempted to just bite the bullet just to know what will work for the future?

But if someone has access to a variety of this gasket for other bikes I could send them measurements of my gasket? I imagine the XRL and XRR may have similar Gasket shape and sizes? but who knows?