problems shifting 1st to 2nd gear

Hi guys jsut bought a crf 230 that had a bad clutch. put a new clutch in it and now the clutch works great but shifting is weird 1st to second. after multiple trys it shifts into second and will go through all the gears nicely. Problem exists in downshifting as well. It takes several trys to get it to go down into first. Anyone had problems with this? Specially before I get into teardown mode and rip the motor apart. feels like shift drum/ fork problems?

:bonk thanks for any help!

Did you put a new clutch basket in? And if not did you inspect your current clutch basket? If the clutch basket is notched, it can sometimes cause an issue like this

Also did you soak the fibers of your new clutch for at least 30 minutes? (Your 'supposed' to soak them overnight, but at least 30 minutes is generally good enough)

Also inspect your shift star, and make sure it looks good and the corners aren't rounded off or anything

but yeah, it sounds like what you said, sounds like it could be bent shift forks ?

Yeah did all the obvious clutch cover off inspections even flushed the lowerend with fresh oil cuz the clutches were burnt so bad there was clutch muck everywhere. clear the filter screen and blew out the oil galleys cus i dont want it restrict oil flow to the motor.Just wondered if anyone else had ever had this problem? My experience with these is there usually bullet proof.

change the shifting star......mine had BARELY any wear on it and i had the same problem. I put a new one in and BINGO!

when i say it barely had any wear......i mean you had to look to closely to see any difference. I figured the new one would not help......but while i had it off may as well change it.....i was so suprised!! if i remember right its only around 15 bucks

• 8 months later...
THX guys Ill try that first! for 15 bucks thats worth the try before pullin the motor out out and apart. Ill keep you posted.

Well CR Wizard? Did you fix your bike? If so, what was the fix? I have a similar issue. I just have to get some time to get into the garage to check things out.