Plastic skid plate

Hey guy's,

I'm looking for a all plastic skid plate for my 400, I would love to purchase one of the E-Line CF one's but thats a little out of my price range. I don't want an aluminum one, becuase of the weight and noise increase, plus I just think the aluminum plates are ugly to be honest.

A little while back I found a place that had a black plastic skid plate for the DR-Z's for around $100, but I didnt save the site to my favorites and like an idiot i forgot the name of the company :cheers: If anybody knows what skidplate's im talking about I would love if you could point me in the right direction again.

Thank You!

I'd like to hear from somebody who has one mounted and tested. From the blurry pics it sure looks ugly. I had an E-Line carbon on my last E and the side wings got flexible really fast, didn't hold up to the rocks of Moab at all. The TT aluminum plate holds up great, fits perfect, and cost seems fair but it reflects engine noise into your face.

This Hyde sure looks ugly in the pics.

I'd like to hear from somebody who has one mounted and tested. From the blurry pics it sure looks ugly. I had an E-Line carbon on my last E and the side wings got flexible really fast, didn't hold up to the rocks of Moab at all. The TT aluminum plate holds up great, fits perfect, and cost seems fair but it reflects engine noise into your face.

This Hyde sure looks ugly in the pics.

Installed, bounced off rocks, levered a 300lb DRZ over trees, used and abused. Works great, looks better then a used AL skid plate (aka mud shovel).

My Hyde Plate works as well as the AL one I had before.

This is what I do to unloved aluminum skid plates.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12212&d=1259179871

attachment.php?attachmentid=12213&d=1259179871

attachment.php?attachmentid=12214&d=1259179871

I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

As for use/dont use the Hyde type plate.

If, I found myself in mid wheel high boulder fields, and I thought the side of the motor was likely to take direct planted hits against a stationary boulder .. I would not use the Hyde. The sides of the plate do flex some, and in a glancing blow of motor against boulder the water pump or other case part may be damaged. The same can be said for an aluminum plate as well,,,so pays your money, takes your chances.

3 letters...............KLR :cheers:

1st off-road outing on my 08 KLR w/2k miles on the bike.....whacked the plastic skid plate Which seeeeemed kinda stout...., rock punched through and just tweaked the engine seam (where the two halves meet) :ride:.......engine leaked no matter how I tried to seal it:rant: NEVER AGAIN for me

3 letters...............KLR ?

1st off-road outing on my 08 KLR w/2k miles on the bike.....whacked the plastic skid plate Which seeeeemed kinda stout...., rock punched through and just tweaked the engine seam (where the two halves meet) :bonk:.......engine leaked no matter how I tried to seal it:rant: NEVER AGAIN for me

The OEM plastic that comes on a KLR (or DRZ) is nothing like what the HYDE plate is made from.

To each his own, use what you want :cheers:

But your comparing one vs the other is invalid :ride:

Installed, bounced off rocks, levered a 300lb DRZ over trees, used and abused. Works great, looks better then a used AL skid plate (aka mud shovel).

My Hyde Plate works as well as the AL one I had before.

This is what I do to unloved aluminum skid plates.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12212&d=1259179871

attachment.php?attachmentid=12213&d=1259179871

attachment.php?attachmentid=12214&d=1259179871

i had a good 'lol' about your space shuttle comment - you're right and i'll take my lumps there. :cheers:

your second picture, holy crap batman ! that picture has convinced me to try a coating of bed liner material (make it more slippery to rocks) after this weekends' trip to georgia.

good info !

i had a good 'lol' about your space shuttle comment - you're right and i'll take my lumps there. :ride:

your second picture, holy crap batman ! that picture has convinced me to try a coating of bed liner material (make it more slippery to rocks) after this weekends' trip to georgia.

good info !

You can try it, but I do not think you will find any advantage in a bed liner product coating the underside of the plate for "less friction". The kind of pin point pressure a rock will place on the plate when a 300lb bike bashes in to it will dig right though any of the bed liner coatings I've used (two trucks, two differing pro installed liners, both will gouge if you put a heavy pointed object in the bed (scrap steel gets me every time))

When I was off roading (racing and for fun) in 4x4's... we tried all kinds of coatings to get the trucks to glide over the rocks.. the only thing that really worked well was when i made a skid plate from AR steel. Of course it weighed several hundred pounds :cheers:

My 2 cents.....

I've run aluminum and a Hyde.

Aluminum is tougher and can handle the big hits/gouges better. But it's loud.

The Hyde is quiet. Like not having a skid there at all. However, it will gouge some from big hard hits from rocks.

If you want the most durabilty for the money, go with Aluminum.

If you're willing so sacrifice a little lifespan in exchage for quietness, go Hyde.

IMO - Unless you are running a lot rock shelves with frame bangers or fast rocky roads where your front tire can sometimes kick up golf ball sized or larger rocks and toss them at the skid.....run a Hyde.

However, I run a lot of fast, rock slinging roads and occasionally run shelves and still choose a Hyde over Aluminum. I enjoy the quietness.

Either way, you're gunna have to frequently run some pretty harsh environments to wear out a skid. And in that case, I would "guess" a Hyde would last 75% as long as an aluminum??