2011 leaking gas

Bike has been sitting for 2 weeks with half a tank in it with no problems. Got it prepped and ready Friday night. Loaded it in the trailer Saturday. Ended up not racing Sunday. Opened trailer door this afternoon to get bike out, and gas is just pouring out of the bottom of the fuel pump. Not a slow drip, it is fairly steady. I have an oversize IMS tank. I cant remember, but did the o-ring fit tightly around the opening of the bottom of the tank? The o-ring just fits in there loosely now. Anyone had any problem like this?

IMS is having issues with these tanks. The same thing happened to us at the WORCS race in Lake Havasu. As soon as I got home I gave IMS a call, they are aware of the problem. Steve offered to send us a replacement but could not guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen again. He recommended draining the tank and loosening the bolts after every ride. I have put back on the stock tank until IMS rectifies the problem, which they are working on. Just stinks pitting every lap. Give them a call and at least you will be on the list for a newer version when they are released.

IMS is having issues with these tanks. The same thing happened to us at the WORCS race in Lake Havasu. As soon as I got home I gave IMS a call, they are aware of the problem. Steve offered to send us a replacement but could not guarantee the same thing wouldn't happen again. He recommended draining the tank and loosening the bolts after every ride. I have put back on the stock tank until IMS rectifies the problem, which they are working on. Just stinks pitting every lap. Give them a call and at least you will be on the list for a newer version when they are released.

Thank you for the info. It's time to light a fire in IMS's a$$.

I just got my IMS tank in the mail yesterday from Rocky Mountain MC (they were on backorder, but it arrived sooner than I expected). I haven't installed it yet.

Now you guys have me wondering. Is there a way to tell if the tank I had is of a newer version or are you saying that they don't have it fixed yet and the only way to tell is to install it?

Just stinks pitting every lap.

I agree that it is a disadvantage to pit. How long are the laps in the races that you are doing that you have to pit every lap? I got 2 hrs 12min out of 2 gallons of fuel last weekend at the gncc is why I ask.

I agree that it is a disadvantage to pit. How long are the laps in the races that you are doing that you have to pit every lap? I got 2 hrs 12min out of 2 gallons of fuel last weekend at the gncc is why I ask.

Ditto. I have run my bike hard for 2 solid hours and still had a splash of gas. I should have drained it and measured. This weekend I'm off for another long one and will try to drain the tank after the 2 hour X mins finish.

I was looing for a bigger tank, but if the stocker doesn't leave me stranded, why buy an expensive tank that's going to pour all over my trailer?

I just got my IMS tank in the mail yesterday from Rocky Mountain MC (they were on backorder, but it arrived sooner than I expected). I haven't installed it yet.

Now you guys have me wondering. Is there a way to tell if the tank I had is of a newer version or are you saying that they don't have it fixed yet and the only way to tell is to install it?

It is an issue with heat and the process used to make the tanks. R&D is working on putting a metal collar molded into the tank, just a possible solution. A friend of ours has had no problems with his. Like the OP mentioned, it's not a little drip...it was running out.

• 4 weeks later...

Called Clarke also. They don't have a tank for the 250 yet; they know they need to get one but most likely we won't see a tank until late summer. They have one for the 450 but they said it will not fit the 250.

So I walked out into the garage this morning and it wreaked of gas. I looked under my son's bike and sure enough, there was a huge puddle of gas.

We've had his IMS tank on it for a total of of about 2 weeks. He raced a desert race on it last weekend and no issues. It just happened over night, and it's been almost exactly a week since the last race.

This is incredibly frustrating because he is racing an AMA national Hare n' Hound next weekend and the first loop is 65 miles and the second loop is 45 miles. I spent all that money on a tank to avoid him having to pit on long loops.

Has anybody had any luck loosening the bolts around the o-ring and tightening them back up?

Bike has been sitting for 2 weeks with half a tank in it with no problems. Got it prepped and ready Friday night. Loaded it in the trailer Saturday. Ended up not racing Sunday. Opened trailer door this afternoon to get bike out, and gas is just pouring out of the bottom of the fuel pump. Not a slow drip, it is fairly steady. I have an oversize IMS tank. I cant remember, but did the o-ring fit tightly around the opening of the bottom of the tank? The o-ring just fits in there loosely now. Anyone had any problem like this?

I emailed IMS the other day too....was told they were having issues and that their machines were down.

Noted that they had ones with leaking issues.

May want to contact IMS directly to see if you have one that is a leak'r

how many gal. is the tank for the '11 250f

I wonder if it has somethign to do with the pressure the fuel pump is maybe creating in the tank, if they said they were having a problem with the honda 250 FI's as well. Just a thought. Either way it sucks if your a desert/woods guy, an extra pit is valuable time lost.

I wonder if it has somethign to do with the pressure the fuel pump is maybe creating in the tank, if they said they were having a problem with the honda 250 FI's as well. Just a thought. Either way it sucks if your a desert/woods guy, an extra pit is valuable time lost.

Vented system - nothing but ambient pressure inside.

Just got off the phone with IMS. They acknowledge that it is a known problem and that the tank mold was not being produced anymore until they have a known fix to the problem.

They asked me to send it back to them and gave me a return number so I could get a replacement tank when they have a fix.

They would not commit to any type of ETA on when they will have a new one.

At this point, I'd rather just get my money back and wait until there is a solid fix, but I guess this is the price you pay for a new generation tank. It's just frustrating because the main races I bought it for are over the next 3 weeks and then after that I don't have as much need for it until the end of the year.