DRZ400/E/S/SM

This is the spot to talk about the Suzuki DRZ400, DRZ400E, DRZ400S, and DRZ400SM line of motorcycles. Find new & used DRZ400 & parts for sale, DRZ400 reviews, and browse owner garages & mods.

Subforums

1. DRZ400 FAQ

New to the DRZ400, DRZ400E, DRZ400S, or DRZ400SM? Start here! The DRZ400 FAQ is full of the key tips, tricks, & step-by-step how-to's that will help you get the most out of your bike.

107,591 topics in this forum

• 11,750 replies
    • 6,828 replies
    • 121 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 11 replies
    • 19,117 replies
    • 5,064 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 10 replies
    • 5,955 replies
    • 36 replies
    • 9 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 4,209 replies
    • 16 replies
    • 17 replies
    • 3 replies

• Featured Content

Pro Moto Billet Kickstand
    There are a couple positives to using a triangle side stand.  One, it’s never in the way when riding.  Two, you can use the excuse, “I can’t find a prop tree!” to avoid helping dig your riding buddy’s bike out of the mud.   As a woods rider, there's been plenty of times that I wished I had a kickstand, so over the past couple of months I've been testing a Fastway Kickstand by Pro Moto Billet (PMB). Installation was straight forward on my YZ250F.  Just be careful not to strip the shallow torx heads on the OEM T50 bolts when removing the footpeg mount. Heat is suggested if necessary.  The kickstand mounting bracket gets sandwiched between the frame and foot peg, so 6mm longer bolts are included. Fastway Kickstands are make/model specific, available for most MX motorcycles from the big 5 within the last 20 years.  Several enduro models are also covered, but are more hit and miss.  As a make/model specific part, the contour of the kickstand matches the bike's profile to a tee.  Swinging the kickstand up tucks it neatly away behind the side panel.  It has adequate clearance to all surrounding components and is well protected in case of a crash.  Transitioning the stand between up and down while seated on the bike is possible after you get the technique down.  My only complaint is that once you get the kickstand over center, it has the tendency to swing into the up/down stop somewhat hard and bounce several times.  As tempting as it may be, Fastway doesn't recommend using the kickstand as a starting stand or while sitting on the motorcycle, something I adhered to during my review. When riding, the kickstand does exactly what it should (stays out of the way).  There are no areas of the kickstand that will snag brush or hinder rider movements.  The 6mm that the mounting bracket shifted the foot peg out was imperceivable.  The 1lb. 7.5oz of added weight was also not noticed.  For those typically riding in wet conditions, the kickstand mount does provide a new surface for mud to accumulate, but it never caused any issues. The stiff internal spring holds the kickstand in the up position in all riding conditions.  Even on the biggest flat landings that I could stomach, bystanders confirmed the kickstand stayed completely up and did not budge.   I was amazed at where I could park my bike without concern for tipovers.  I've had bikes with OE kickstand that didn't provide as much stability as the Fastway kickstand. The combination of the footpad size and bike lean angle allowed me to park in soft sections of the trail that included mud, loam, and seemingly bottomless sand sections. And, I wasn't cognitively trying to find the ideal spot to park. I’ve been beating on this kickstand the last few months and it’s held up well.  The footpad shows minimal wear with just a few scratches from normal use. Despite all mud and sand that I've managed to work into the kickstand pivot, while there is minor scratching, the kickstand level still swing freely. The only real visible wear is from all the hits from the kickstand bouncing into its endstops.  The rubber bumper is starting to wear and it’s also deforming the mount ever so slightly.  PMB does note to “carefully position kickstand up and down”, but this is not easily possible without using your hand.   Overall, I am extremely happy with my Fastway kickstand.  It’s completely invisible to me when riding, it allows me to stop nearly anywhere I want when out on the trails, and it holds my bike up securely. While some wear is visible, I don't think it will cause any long-term negative consequences. Pricing varies depending on the applications, but it will typically have an MSRP of around $160 UDS. More on the Pro Moto Billet website.
    Posted by Bryan Bosch on Dec 17, 2013

Core Moto Brake Line Kits
    After several years of wear and tear, my OEM YZ250F brake lines had seen better days and were in need of replacement.  After looking at my options, I think that Core Moto offers the most customizable line of stainless steel brake lines available.  You have free rein to mix & match line colors, fittings, tubes, and tags to truly make your bike your own. Building something custom? Core Moto can provide custom brake line lengths and bends to suit your needs. My Core Moto stainless steel brake lines came in simple, yet effective packaging, with paper tags to indicate connections to the master cylinder and caliper. New banjo bolts and crush washers are included, so you don’t need to buy any additional parts (or even think about reusing consumables - shame on you!). The transition point from the stiffener tube to flex line is made of a rubber material that provides adequate strain relief to keep from line kinking during installation and riding.  The only flaw I noticed was a lone machining chip left over on one of the banjo bolts from a turning operation.  Core Moto does provide a lifetime warranty against leaks, breaks, and ruptures, something I find pretty remarkable in this day and age. Installation was straightforward,  pretty much the same as OEM, including banjo bolt torque values (see your shop manual).  However, the supplied hardware is different than OEM (14mm hex vs 6mm allen). A nifty feature that I wasn’t expecting is that you can rotate the banjo fitting and reclock it relative to the brake line to get the best possible routing possible.  A small tweak can make a big difference in how well the line follows the contour of the bike. Routing doesn’t perfectly mimic OEM, but is fairly close with no ill effects.  For example, the rear brake line routes a little closer to the shock spring.  Conversely, the front master cylinder fitting is formed such that it keeps the line from rubbing on my number plate.  This was not the case with the OEM lines and appreciated. I hate bleeding brakes and brake fluid is hands down the worst automotive fluid to work with.  That said, I also realize the benefit of replacing old fluid, why it goes bad, and the effects it has on performance.  For that reason, I had fresh fluid in the system both before and after this brake line change so that comparison between OE and the Core Moto stainless steel lines was one to one. That said, there are performance differences between OE and Core Moto stainless steel brake lines, but they are subtle. My old lines were more than capable of locking up both ends if I squeezed hard enough.  There were a couple big takeaways though.  First and foremost is initial lever feel.  The mushy feel in the first part of travel was reduced by over 50%, replaced by an almost instant firm feel.  I could see my old brake lines flex and bulge as I pulled on the lever. In contrast, the Core moto brake lines hardly move.  Second, it now requires less lever or pedal throw to achieve the same level of braking.  This resulted in locking up the rear wheel a lot while I adjusted my muscle memory, but I acclimated within a couple rides.  While this upgrade may not have resulted in immediately faster lap times, it did help reduce rider fatigue which can help maintain speed later in the race. If you're someone that prefers firm lever feel and/or like personalizing your bike with trick parts. Core Moto stainless steel brake lines are right up your alley. However, even if you just need new brake lines, their lifetime warranty is definitely something to factor into your decision.  More at https://www.coremoto.com/category_s/306.htm
    Posted by MotoMadnessCustoms on Jan 21, 2016

• Popular Now

• Tag Cloud