Sign in to follow this  

Best helmet under $300

Hey guys looking for a helmet, willing to spend up to 300, but want a good helmet. I don't have to have the newest 2013 helmet.

I was looking at the 2012 Bell Moto 9, they seem nice, but I have currently a moto 8 and it is junk IMO. Is the Moto9 a lot better than the 8?

Any nice helmet suggestions in this price range are much appreciated.

Imo, go to the bike shops in the area and try on every single helmet they have regardless of price. Then buy the one that fits the best. An expensive poor fitting helmet is worse than a cheap well fitting one.

• Like 1

If your head has a pricetag, you should choose by price.

If it's priceless, you should choose by protection.

Arai

Shoei

Bell3

They all have to be safe and meet standards, you can get a really nice light helmet, Airoh, Hebo, Kali and Soumy are all great helmets at around a 1000g for from 350 up to 500, Bell, Arai and Shoei are pretty heavy compared to the ones I listed, almost 1lb, they are nice helmets though, the Soumy is an Italian helmet and looks sort of like Shoei and has lots of ventilation. I have a Kali but my next will be a Soumy.

I think the question de must ask ourselves is why the top brands don`t make lighter helmets.

I`m sure technologicaly they are able to. But maybe that means compromising safety.

In head safety I always go to top brands, my head has no price.

If your head has a pricetag, you should choose by price.

If it's priceless, you should choose by protection.

Arai

Shoei

Bell3

I think the question de must ask ourselves is why the top brands don`t make lighter helmets.

I`m sure technologicaly they are able to. But maybe that means compromising safety.

While I agree with this sentiment I have to say that for the average rider (like myself) I have to place limitations on my budget. I have other bills to pay, its that simple.

I say its time to ante up to the latest greatest for you two: http://www.6dhelmets.com/

They are supposed to start out around $750 each. Good enough for Eli Tomac and the rest of the Geico Honda team!

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/01/04/6d-atr-1-new-motorcycle-helmet-technology/

Bell Moto 9 on closeout for about $250.

What is a top brand, Airoh is a top brand, Fox is a top brand?

Maybe your looking at it the wrong way, they make lighter helmets for a better price, how come the others make heavier helmets for so much more, you really believe they are compromising safety? There are 150 dollar helmets that meet all the same DOT/Snell standards as well, not the same quality mind you

ive only ever bought hjc helmets. you can find them almost anywhere online and get one a year or 2 old (new just older design) for 150 or less. ive used ones that were 75 up to 150 for my last one, ive had some nasty crashes, 2 broken femurs (last time fell 50feet to flat hard packed dirt and body crumpled and rolled like a rag doll), and hit my head several times. never had any concussions or head injuries.

one reason i go with these helmets, they say you should replace your helmet after any bad crash cause ANY helmet is technically compromised. i replace mine anually unless i have a big get off. why replace a 300+ helmet when in the end it should be replaced at the same time as 100 helmet? just my 2cents.

For that price range Fly F2 Carbon is a great choice...............

You can get a fox v3 helmet for $169.00

I am wearing a v2 now and it is great, I am going to get a v3. Looks cool too. Look on bto for it.

But really whatever fits you best

There are a few points wich are open to discuss.

All cheap brands have their own factory? Do they make "in house" quality controls?

And what about the number of shells. Most cheap brands use 1, 2 or maximum 3 shell sizes. Shoei and the FoX V4 use 4 Shell sizes. That guarantees the same level of protection on all the sizes. And of course that raises the cost production.

More quality contorls on the manufacturing process and more shells end up in a expensiver product.

It's just hard for me to belive that a 150 $ Helmet offers me the same level of protection as a 500 $. Also when they are all Snell/Dot/ECE 22.05 approved.

And on the other hand altough the helmets are a bit heavier. They don't feel so when riding.

And you are completely right that once a helmet has had a crash. It can't be used anymore. And that hits the pocket.

Can anyone comment on fit/comfort differences between troy lee se3 vs shoei vfx?

Think Troy Lee just paints helmets.

While I agree with this sentiment I have to say that for the average rider (like myself) I have to place limitations on my budget. I have other bills to pay, its that simple.

I say its time to ante up to the latest greatest for you two: http://www.6dhelmets.com/

They are supposed to start out around $750 each. Good enough for Eli Tomac and the rest of the Geico Honda team!

http://www.cycleworl...met-technology/

6dHelmets are not yet in Europe, but I think they are an interesting aproach, and this kind of development pushes the industry further.

At the end it's all about priorities, where to spend the money, I prefer to buy a Shoei than an exahust, or any engine upgrade.

I completelly respect all other Helmets, but if someone asks what is the best helmet under 300$. I'd tell him to think about it and my recomendation would be to buy a top helmet, because I think is safer.

And I think is safer because, the have more shells sizes, they use better materials, the have better comfort (ventilation, fitting...) and that makes the riding more easier. The quality controls of the products are more severe.