New sprockets...

Hey all...I've decided to change up the gearing on my 400S. Been riding mostly highway to work lately with 14/45 sprockets and am finally fed up with my top speed of 60mph :lame: Ordered 15/42 from Wheeling, so it's gunna be a big change and I was wondering what kind of comfortable/safe crusing speed I can expect with the new gearing. I don't need to be doing 90, but if I could do a steady 75mph without over-revving the engine, that'd make me happy. ( I don't have a Tach on the handlebars yet)

Also, my mom gave me a gift certificate to amazon.com for Christmas so I ordered a new chain for the sprockets. It has a long name so I'm worried it won't fit the Z. It's a D.I.D. 520vx2gb 120 link chain. This chain will work right? I saw on the Epic website a 520vx chain that he sells for the Z, I figured its the same x-ring chain I bought, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Stock gearing is 15/44 and you can not over-rev with that. So 15/42 being a bit higher you are safe at any speed in top gear. The DRZ has a built in revlimiter so you you really can't over-rev it anyway. 75 will be fine.

Thanks noble... I was just reading up on the counter-shaft loctite fix, should I follow these steps when installing the new 15t sprocket even though this fix was done when the 14t sprocket was installed previously?

Yes. Everytime the sprocket is removed.

Your 120 link chain will need shortening to 112 or even 110 links.

Mearsue on bike twice cut once.

Small angle grinder will come in handy otherwise a file will work.

Your 120 link chain will need shortening to 112 or even 110 links.

Mearsue on bike twice cut once.

Small angle grinder will come in handy otherwise a file will work.

Ok cool, what's the grinder for? I'm gunna get a chain breaker...

Grinder is to grind off the rivited end of the pin prior to using the chain beaker. Makes brealing the chain easier but not absolutely necessary with a good tough chain breaker. Forget the file. it will not work on the hardened pins.

Ok... Does anybody have any links to YouTube videos of somebody changing the front sprocket on a DRZ? I saw a good video posted by Renthal with good info in it, but they were working on a Honda dirtbike and the Honda countershaft nut looks drastically different.

i use the DID vx2 gold chain.. im on the second 1 the 1st chain lasted about 8000miles.. everybody different, but i cleaned it about every 500miles, and it held up great..started getting pretty old looking around a 7000miles or so..

i use the DID vx2 gold chain.. im on the second 1 the 1st chain lasted about 8000miles.. everybody different, but i cleaned it about every 500miles, and it held up great..started getting pretty old looking around a 7000miles or so..

Sweeeet...I read that x-ring chains are the way to go, and I figured if it was good enough to be sold by epic, it's good enough for me! Pretty stoaked for the new gearing all around...my girlfriend got a 2012 DR650, so now that my bike is highway capable we are planning a dual sport trip this spring :ride: maybe up into the 707 district. down here in the 415 it's damn near impossible to take any bike off road. My version of trail riding is lane splitting during SF rush hour on the 101 :smirk:

nice, i went down to s. sf yesterday, a firned of mine went n baught a drz sm, and i seen a lot of bikes flying by on the freeway lane splitting, looked kinda sketchy when your sitting in a truck watching them, i bet it just comes natural if you gota do it all the time

Forget the file. it will not work on the hardened pins.

After reading this I went out to my shed, grab some DID 520 VX2 chain I had left over from a recent chain and sprocket replacement.

Put it in the vice, just as I would if I was going to shorten it, grabbed a good file.

Yes it is hard but it is by no means imposible to file the pins and break/shorten the chain.

Angle grinder is still the prefered method for grinding the pins off.

nice, i went down to s. sf yesterday, a firned of mine went n baught a drz sm, and i seen a lot of bikes flying by on the freeway lane splitting, looked kinda sketchy when your sitting in a truck watching them, i bet it just comes natural if you gota do it all the time

The first couple times it's terrifying, but as long as you stay alert and don't be a dumbass I almost feel safer doing it because I can see what's ahead of me as opposed to being behind a car and having no idea when he will slam on his breaks. And surprisingly it's not illegal in California.

Congrats on your buddies SM...I saw that one on Craigslist and am jealous there wasn't anything that sexy when I was lookin to buy the drz.

Black-DRZ - You have some good files. They will loose their edge quickly on the hardened pins. Good to know it will work. I have to admit, most of my files are shot.

Good to know it will work.

Don't worry Mate, I wont be choosing a file anytime soon over an angle grinder :rolleyes: