row routine

what are your rowing routines? i get burned out fast rowing, it would be nice to know some benchmarks for fitness. state your exercise then how much it has helped out on the track.

I do 34strokes per minute for 5 or 6 min is all i do then im off to do weights. Planning on increasing time every week but i quit early.

I use it for circuits so I row 500 meters, always under 2 min, trying to get to 1.30 minutes but that is moving! Then I jump into my other 3-4 exercises like kettle ball swings, burpees, squat thursters, dead lifts whatever is on the menu. Usually do 4 rounds

When I row for cardio I will do 250 meters, rest a minute, row 500 meters, rest 30 seconds to a minute, row 750 meters, rest, row 1000 meters, rest, row 750 meters, rest, row 500, rest, row 250 rest. If you go balls out you shouldn't need more then 15 min for a total workout. Then go shower

Edited by TroyLee_Roosta

Man! your Balls to the wall. I just lift weights and do machines for body parts. Usually do 12 sets per muscle and rep range from 10 to 15 reps. I can do a body part for 12 sets in 20 min's but if I train two body parts a day usually takes about 40 mins.

guess I need to step it up a bit and do more cardio like you guys. When yall do rows.....are yall useing a special row machine?

Only thing I got to do rows is this pull down machine for lats that also has a pully at the bottom that I attach a close grip handle to it to do rows......is this the same.

Man! your Balls to the wall. I just lift weights and do machines for body parts. Usually do 12 sets per muscle and rep range from 10 to 15 reps. I can do a body part for 12 sets in 20 min's but if I train two body parts a day usually takes about 40 mins.

guess I need to step it up a bit and do more cardio like you guys. When yall do rows.....are yall useing a special row machine?

Only thing I got to do rows is this pull down machine for lats that also has a pully at the bottom that I attach a close grip handle to it to do rows......is this the same.

No, I use the actual rowing machine like a boat if you will at the gym. Shitty part is its one of the only gyms I've been that has a good rower. You can get the same benefit out of running, cycling. I will run hard sprints 30 seconds to a min then jump right into the workouts I talk about. Circuit training is where its at. If you watch those MX training vids, those intense gym workouts are hard core 15-30 min workouts depending on what they are doing. That is all the average man needs. It is redlining your heart to max, then resting a minute if that and redlining it again. I have made all my strength & sprint gains this way.

Endurance training I usually just do 20 min hard intervals. I am not sure what the pros do but I know they push those peddles on average 40-60 miles a ride. I am not a pro, just a fat guy that decided to do something about it. I spent a lot on a personal trainer, actually two the first one whipped my ass into shape this one is taking me to the next level. None of this means shit though if you don't follow a good diet. Exercise is 1 foot forward bad diet is 2 steps back. I do lift pyramids 1-2 times a week depending on where I am with the other stuff. But I mostly only do Squats, military press, bench press, curls & pull ups.

Edited by TroyLee_Roosta

I have been doing spin classes as the roads are bad and I cant get on the road bicycle....some good scenery in the class I might add.

I have been doing wide grip palms out pullups when I am fresh followed by lat pull downs. I really like pulling the stack back with the close grip handle for the third movement...like a row...I try to go heavier though. Is this decent if you dont have a rower? I really like to get that strong to flick the 450.

Edited by mikerides33

I have been doing spin classes as the roads are bad and I cant get on the road bicycle....some good scenery in the class I might add.

I have been doing wide grip palms out pullups when I am fresh followed by lat pull downs. I really like pulling the stack back with the close grip handle for the third movement...like a row...I try to go heavier though. Is this decent if you dont have a rower? I really like to get that strong to flick the 450.

Strength training is always important. The rower is more about metabolic conditioning where you're using your entire body, some resistance & cardio at the same time. I too like the spin class for those reasons.

Good stuff.Thanks.

The rower has been good to me I can't wait for the tracks to open up. I use the rower for just 10 minutes before my weight routine 5x a week. I think I will start going longer but right now I'm at 2500m level 10 for 10 min. The first week or so it was pretty brutal just getting the technique down and lasting for 5 min. Maybe 12 min next time...

I love how natural the motion is compared to riding a bike. Surprising how whooped the legs get aswell.

Today I did my row then just did back workout for an hour. Shoulders tomorrow. Break Friday. Saturday arms. Sunday legs. Break Monday. Chest tuesday. and so on. I don't lift for mx just for my OCD!

I'm definitely getting a C2 rower when I buy a house, look into it mike!

It sounds fantastic. What di those bad boys cost? Methinks $$$:rolleyes:

been considering adding rowing to my routine, I'm thinking it will help with keeping forward on the bike and keeping the elbows out!

what are your rowing routines? i get burned out fast rowing, it would be nice to know some benchmarks for fitness. state your exercise then how much it has helped out on the track.

I do 34strokes per minute for 5 or 6 min is all i do then im off to do weights. Planning on increasing time every week but i quit early.

your going too fast --- concentrate on your form so your putting down decent power at 22-24 rpm's . Usually takes a bit of work on technique ---- A nice workout for building power is a 30 second on/ 30 off workout times 30 (this will take 30 minutes --LOL) -- if you cant make it 30, go for 10 or 15 or whatever at first

--- just straight up30 second intervals, concentrating on your 500 meter time and keeping your rpm's under 26

Drills some of the coaches employ are pretty basic, row at 22 rpm for 5 minutes, rest 2, then 24 rpm for 5 minutes, rest 2, then 26 rpm for 5 minutes, rest 2 --

One of the benchmark tests for rowers is the 2000m test with the elite guys being able to do 2k under 6 minutes -- usually at abslutely no higher than 28 rpm's

There's a ton of good workouts out there --- i encourage most to steer away from the "cross-fit rowing style" though, --- some of those folks are really fit and can get away with just strapping in and pulling good times at 35-40 rpm's, but its terrible form

I dont claim to be very good at this stuff ---

this is where i work out though-- this place is filled with folks who would be considered the Ryan Dungey's and Ryan Villopoto's of the rowing world --- it is neat to be able to get advice on form or something from someone who's an olympic coach or athlete

When i started, i was also pulling at too high an rpm and with poor 500 meter time splits, -- I'm not a rower though -plus i'm short (5'8) -- i just started rowing to get back in better shape for riding -- i can wing it in a 5 lap local mx moto, but a 2 hour off-road ride was a different story

124.jpg

015-1.jpg

127.jpg

It sounds fantastic. What di those bad boys cost? Methinks $$$ :rolleyes:

$900, there are a lot worse ways to spend $900 though -- think about all the cash many of us spend on treadmills, bicycles that get ridden one season, YMCA memberships that are used for 2 months , and on and on

Rowing can get you a quick workout thats a legit ball buster , is low impact and evidently the pro's in our sport think it pays dividends too

http://www.concept2....-rowers/model-d

Edited by DMC707

thats awesome dmc707! i have gotten a lot stronger and improving quite a bit since my original post. right now im at 2500 in 10 minutes level 10. what resistance should i be running? i have cleaned up a lot of form imbalances but i am still struggling quite a bit. so lower strokes per minute but concentrate more on a complete rep?

thats awesome dmc707! i have gotten a lot stronger and improving quite a bit since my original post. right now im at 2500 in 10 minutes level 10. what resistance should i be running? i have cleaned up a lot of form imbalances but i am still struggling quite a bit. so lower strokes per minute but concentrate more on a complete rep?

That's a pretty solid time for 2500m already. that's 2:00/500m already

There are a ton of good videos on form on the concept 2 website. If you put damper setting in the search over there, it gives a decent tutorial on that, plus a lot of workouts. They can even send you "workouts of the day" to give some structure and new challenges. Damper settings is kind of a weird deal. It doesn't affect your time as much as one might think because the monitor compensates for it somehow---- I rarely see dampers set above 5 at the gym, because everybody there is trying to replicate rowing in one of those long, lightweight boats --- where the higher damper settings would roughly replicate rowing in a heavier boat

One way to put more power out at a lower stroke rate is to try to take in a lot of air on every recovery backstroke - basically instead of slamming forward on the backstroke, just let it slide forward a bit easier while u take in a bit more air, and remember the arms shouldn't be doing much more than just hanging on until the last 25% of the movement, but when the legs are close to lock out, that's when you kick the arms in hard to finish the movement

I'll try to link to some stuff later when I'm on my computer, on my iPad now.

Edited by DMC707

DMC...good stuff. You guys have me excited to row. So do you guys just blow up on the rowers at the end of the workout? My gym workouts now are at their peak seeing as it is still winter but soon I will be on the road bike and lighter workouts -more cable stuff than free weights....this looks really good.

Appetites through the roof rowing? I cant beleive how much I can eat right now.:rolleyes:

For me I only row for 10 minutes so far so I'm not really blowing up but I do feel fulfilled as a full body workout. I spend over an hour in the gym as it is but I will incorporate more time as I go on. It's tough to sacrifice weights for cardio.

today I was able to slow my strokes down to around 30 and still get the same times. I realize now my strokes were all upper body before. Legs were shot after this. I went riding yesterday and my legs were by far was the weakest link, makes sense.