Clutch pull on 04 CRF 100

Does anyone else find the clutch pull on the CRF 100 to be a little hard for youbg riders? It is stiff for my 14 year old daugter and I am thinking moving my 11 year old daughter up from the CRF 70 to the 100 but the clutch is too hard for her to pull. I have replaced the cable witgh a new motion pro and lubed the lever to ensure smooth operation, it still is stiff. Is there anything that can be done to lighten it up a bit?

Yes there a couple of easy fixes. One is buy a MSR Raptor Easy Pull lever: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Tucker_Rocky_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=170 It has 3 positions for the cable anchor, one being easier pull than stock.

Or do what I and some others have done to our 200s:

You can lengthen the clutch arm for an easier pull. I got the idea from a post by Towlieee on TT and it worked very well, even better than a hydraulic clutch. The poster welded a 3/4" splice into the clutch arm but for me it was easier to bolt on an extension to the arm, that way I could easily go back to stock. Here is a link to Towliee’s thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784686&highlight=clutch+mod

I chose a bolt on extension so I could easily return to stock if I didn’t like the results. I drilled out the rivet holding the cable clip to the arm and then used a 3/4" x 2" piece of flat stock (Home Depot) to replicate the end of the the clutch arm with a 3/4" extension, this fit to the underside of the arm and extended 3/4" beyond the end of the clutch arm. I contoured the outer end to match the radius on the end of the clutch arm and the inner end to fit the joggle in the stock clutch arm. I then clamped it to the under side of the clutch arm and used the existing clip hole to drill the extension, fastened it with a 5mm bolt. I then drilled a hole thru both for a 1/8" SS rivet (not enough room for another bolt hole between the existing cable clip hole and the dogleg bend in the lever). Next I installed the cable clip to the hole in the end of the flat stock that was 3/4" away from the original cable clip hole. And then used a tapered drift bar to re align cable bracket to the new hole. 40% reduction in clutch pull!! A one inch extension would be even better.

Lube the clutch cable or better yet buy a new one, about $12

Go to your local Honda dealer, pull the clutch on a new 80 or 150, that's how easy yours will be with a good cable. A 10yo girl can easily pull it.

Raptor Easy Pull, etc just a waste of money, $12 cable will work wonders.

I've bought more that a few bikes with a "bad clutch" only to have just a new cable fix the whole problem.

If you're at all like me an 04 CRF100 seems like a new bike but it's 8 years old, plenty of time for a lot of gunk to build up inside a cable.

My 2 ¢

Edited by arthur6

The CR85 perch and lever works great too. You can find them on EBay pretty cheap.

Lube the clutch cable or better yet buy a new one, about $12

Go to your local Honda dealer, pull the clutch on a new 80 or 150, that's how easy yours will be with a good cable. A 10yo girl can easily pull it.

Raptor Easy Pull, etc just a waste of money, $12 cable will work wonders.

I've bought more that a few bikes with a "bad clutch" only to have just a new cable fix the whole problem.

If you're at all like me an 04 CRF100 seems like a new bike but it's 8 years old, plenty of time for a lot of gunk to build up inside a cable.

My 2 ¢

Arthur, the OP posted that he had a new cable so that is not his problem. It may have been yours and somewhat common on older bikes, but not this one. The welded lever extension on the engine case or one of the bolt on extensions that have been around for several years will help as Chuck says. As socalxr says, the newer style clutch perch and lever generally helps also. I did an Easy pull unit years ago for my son's XR75 when he started riding it at 6 years old. It worked fine for him. That was almost 20 years ago and clutches then were typically MUCH harder to pull than the new ones.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! I am thinking I might try the ez pull as it will give me the most options. I will report back after I have installed it.

For those interested in DIY solutions:

This mod (20% reduction in force) requires lengthening the clutch arm (welding?)

This mod (25% reduction) requires drilling a new hole for the cable in the lever.

If you do both of them you get appx 40% reduction in clutch pull.  The CRF100 clutch pull is about double of a modern full size motorcycle.  With both of these mods your little one can now enjoy a clutch that's only a "slighty harder" than the clutch on your full size motorcycles.  It does seem strange that Honda specs such a heavy clutch for 8 horsepower, and for kids just coming off 'automatic' bikes.  Seems like the aftermarket folks could locate a set of 4 lighter clutch springs (as a kit) for this bike, which would be a very easy, clean, low-cost mod.

Of course there are the other methods, like the EZ-pull cable device ($30 and adds more friction), and others say the CR85 lever&perch has a better leverage.