Revalve? Yes or No? YZ125

I have been in this predicimant for a while now and still don't know what to do.

Here is the problem/situation. I have an 02 YZ125 and I started racing last year. It has a HORRIBLE head shake which is slowing me down a lot. I only weigh 105 w/o gear so I think that is my issue. When my rider sag is at 100, my free sag (i think i have the terms correct) is way off. Which means my springs are too stiff. Currently, I have all of the parts to replace the springs only on my bike as well as stuff like oil, seal/bushing kit, etc.

My question is should I send my stuff to FC to have them revalve. Could they use my parts (springs, oil, bushings, seals, etc)? Do you guys think my problem would be fixed if I just install the parts I have now or should I have FC do a revalve.

I hope you guys can see my delema here. I just sold my snowmobile and am getting out of riding for now so I have some extra money to spend. ($800 ish).

Another thing I have considered is selling my 02 and getting alot newer 125 instead and just running it stock. But that's a totally different post.....LOL. My 02 has basically a new motor and is mint and i love it other then the handeling part of it. Let me know you opinions!

We have two thoughts, not opinions, just thoughts.

1. If you keep the YZ 125, consider getting a good suspension shop to rebuild the forks and shocks with new seals, bushings, fluid etc. This might cost $300 or so, +/-. You don't need to mess wtih the valving.

- If you sent your suspension to a large company, such as fc, I'm guessing they are not going to want you to send all the parts (it sounds like you have most of the parts). You'd be better off approaching a local guy with that, and they still might not approve.

2. If you are going to spend $800 on the suspension, you might be better of getting a newer bike. Only because, for example, if you redo the suspension ($800), the bike would still only be worth $600-1200, depending on your market.

- BUT, if you get a different bike, you will still be faced with the same issue, that is getting your suspension set for your weight.

I can see where this has been a predicimant, and after reviewing our response, I don't think we have been much help..

Edited by kevinstillwell

Why not just try a spring swap and see how that works? If your forks and shock aren't leaking yet you could just swap springs and hold out on the rebuild, at least until you see how the swap worked. If you have all the tools to take the forks and shock apart, it's really simple.

If you want to go the way of a newer yz125 (06 and up are best), the stock valving on those is really good, but then you will run into the problem of it being too stiff again.

BTW I used to have a 03 yz125 (pretty much identical to the 02), and i loved it.

Edited by Sheebanman57

Currently, in my market, my YZ is worth 12-1600. And yes, I already have the springs f/r. I also already have the fork seal/bushing kit (OEM), and Maxima oil.

If the bike is in decent shape, and you are comfortable riding it, it would be reasonable to have the suspension rebuilt. Anything more probably wouldn't be worth it.

my forks are leaking and stuff so it is time for a rebuild.i am considering just doing the susps. (with the stuff i have, no revavlve) and calling it a day and hoping everything works out. Would there be anything else other then suspension causing my head shake?

On KTM's sometimes head shake is attributed to the forks to far up in the triple clamps or deflecting of of the compression then not rebounding fast enough.

you need the correct springs, headshake is dangerous and you should consider investing in the right springs and a service with wear parts.

Again, like I said, I have the correct springs already.. (.38 front, 4.2 rear). Also, I am going to go take a pic of my clamps/forks to see if you guys can see anything off. Thanks

In my experience (for what it is worth) you will end up having it revalved after you respring it any way. I just went through this on my daughters 04 rm125. She weighs 117 and had terrible head shake, especially in high speed chop or any series of bumps. I resprung for her weight and rebuilt forks and things got better but we still had the head shake. It was just a little more unpredictable and at higher speed. I saw it happen a couple times that scared me to watch. We had the rebound turned way out and it would get a little better. So i contact Pinnacle Suspension and he explained to me that what he thought was the problem. The springs were so light that they couldn't push the front tire down fast enough against the valving. Sent it off and had him take care of it all and now things are much better. We also added scotts damper after we got it dialed in and that was worth it. I you got 8 bills you should be able to get it taken care of and a new damper.:D

Just thought I would let you guys know I am going to go look at an 05 rm125 tomorrow. I am still going to have my YZ but I might keep the RM if I like it better. Worst case scenario I don't like either, and come spring I sell both and get a newer bike. http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/3502846787.html

Edited by cgirouard423