XRs may be low tech but you don't see much of this

Still dont know. After doing tours in Baja for over 20 years.The head ,valve problem is with the CRF 250-450X that is a HONDA.If one Wr head blew up.Its one yamaha to 5,000 hondas.Get the facts right.Not to say what head is in the picture,We would not know because not one Wr has come in here with that happened BUT almost all hondas it has happened.BTR

I started this thread,

More info... It's a 2001 Yamaha YZF250, note the 5 valves.

Kid bought the bike for $1500 needing a top end... Had local non-brand shop fix it, NEW head, piston, etc - $1200. Rode the bike for about 10 minutes, this happened, shop wouldn't stand behind the work. Kid's mom made him sell the bike, my friend bought it for $300 - gave me the damaged head, I have a small collection of carnage.

XRs may be low tech but you don't see much of this

YZFHead1_zpsd7263980.jpg

YZFHead2_zps5a1db420.jpg

I started this thread,

More info... It's a 2001 Yamaha YZF250, note the 5 valves.

Kid bought the bike for $1500 needing a top end... Had local non-brand shop fix it, NEW head, piston, etc - $1200. Rode the bike for about 10 minutes, this happened, shop wouldn't stand behind the work. Kid's mom made him sell the bike, my friend bought it for $300 - gave me the damaged head, I have a small collection of carnage.

Small claims court. I feel sorry for that kid, seems someone would have helped him.

This is normal for crf 250-450.Not normal for wr250-450.The honda has the valve problems.Air cooled Xrs are smart tech.Not low tech.

Myth. Hondas don't melt down either, but the valves do wear out after 100 hours. Just like Yamahas. The major difference is that Yamaha owners think not having to tear into an engine for 100 hours is great, whereas Honda owners consider major maintenance at only 100 hours unacceptable.

This is not supposition - I did a bunch of research here in TT forums while considering a Honda, and that was my final conclusion.

JayC

Just ask any tour guy in Baja about crf-x do they last or do the wrs last.This is no Myth.Stop reading and research.Real world Riding they do not last All of us tour guys got the new Hondas water cooled.Im a honda guy all the way till they made the new honda.We sold them all got Wrs Zero honda like problems with the Wrs.Where talking about people that ride every week,and doing tours.The valves wear out at 100 hours,Please do till about adjusting the honda valves every 300 miles,about all the parts bikes blown up.About the 04 xr is worth more money than a 04 crf .We still have 04 WR250-450s valves still in spec.My own Wr has passed 100 hours 4 times valves still in spec.If you talk about that bike ask someone that had 20 CRfs.

I have no idea if a Honda or Yamaha is better.

I just posted the pic, I think it's pretty cool.

I lace and true wheels in my garage as a small business on the side. A wheel off a modern MX bike (2000 & up) used to sell for $200. Now with SO MANY of these bikes with bad engines you can buy a used wheel for $25.

As I posted in that first post my friend bought the whole bike for $300

I have no idea if a Honda or Yamaha is better.

I just posted the pic, I think it's pretty cool.

I lace and true wheels in my garage as a small business on the side. A wheel off a modern MX bike (2000 & up) used to sell for $200. Now with SO MANY of these bikes with bad engines you can buy a used wheel for $25.

As I posted in that first post my friend bought the whole bike for $300

Every wheel I see on ebay is 250-300 bucks used. You got anything for a 04 KTM front wheel by chance? Mine is scratched up bad and has a good size flat spot on it. Just looking for decent shape and ROUND. I have new bearings in package still so not an issue if they are shot. PM if you have anything. Thanks!!

Doesnt matter what brand or model it is!! If it isnt maintained properly, and is abused this will happen!! Problem with XRs is they dont make enough power to hurt anything! LOL.. Ive had my 250L in valve float on the freeway many times. And yes its still in one piece.. Would I do that with my CRF? NO> but its apples and oranges..