Honda Traitor?

I ride a Honda 450x and am very interested in going back to a 2 stroke. The Honda is an awsome bike and great for the type of riding we do, as well all my buddies ride the same bike. We ride alot of single track in Arizona and New Mexico with some sand. So my question is WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????

Don't ride one unless you want to buy a bike. That is what I think. ;)

Why not buy a Honda 2t?

I have been rolling red forever... But just picked up a 13 ktm 300xc yesterday. I switched from my crf x a few years ago and went to a fuel injected 450... Spent about 3500 on after market parts to make it an x . I have it running like a dream now ..less the push button start. But wish I knew back then what I know now... KTM ready to race...I had my xc out today... spent a few hundred on gaurds and good to go...suspension is top notch.. still got to fiddle with the settings to make it perfect. The light nimble feel and elec start...Like GMOSS said ..don't ride one unless you can afford to buy one...

Both excellent bikes ... but my 0ld '06 450X is still my favourite of all time (currently on a 300XC).

Apples and Oranges to compare .... the are 2 entirely different bikes, even though they are "marketed" to the same group.

Nothing will beat the torque of the 450X ... nothing will beat the fun of a 300XC (especially in tight woods and twisty single track)

No regrets being back on a 2T ... I would have a hard time going back to a "4 broke" now.

If you want a light, fun bike that won't wear you out ... get the 300xc ... if your riding DUNES at high speeds (the 450X is a way faster machine, not even close), no comparison .. keep the 450X.

If you try to ride fast in the sand with your buddies on a 300XC, prepare to be eating dust. If you ride primarily tight trails, then your buddies will eat dust.

Edited by supervokes

Your in an exc position, it's all uphill from honda.

Try out a few 250s. They all have different power characteristics. You'll probably find good reasons to like one more than another.

I have a few buddies in Acli. and Arizona, and like supervokes said, the 450X is going to work better in dunes, but the 300 will do far better on tight trail. I personally like teh XC-W better due to the wide ratio trans., but both are good for trail work. I keep up with any 450 on trails here in the hills of Ky. and W.Va., but sand will be a bit different concerning dunes and the desert. Also, as supervokes stated, the bikes are apples and oranges. If you ride dunes...stay where you are at. If you ride more tight trail...get a 300 if you can.

If you find the low to mid power to be a bit flat on a KTM off-road bike. Be aware that some of the other two strokes are tuned to be more aggressive in that area.

Like mention above, "Don't ride one unless you want to buy a bike". I've been on my CRF 250X since buying it new in 2004. Couple years ago I test rode a bunch of 2T KTM's at a national enduro and have since been wanting one like real bad.. Welp, I just finally bought a new 2013 300 xc a month ago. You will love it. Just do it. You only live once.

I would really like to try some 2:50 even a 300 but no 1 in this part of the country ride KTM

I would really like to try some 2:50 even a 300 but no 1 in this part of the country ride KTM

If there is any way to keep both, then that would be the perfect world approach.

If you plan on riding a 300XC in fast open long stretch sandy sections, then be prepared to be VERY far behind your riding partners. You will get absolutely smoked. The 450X can sustain speeds that are at least 30-40 km/h faster (depending on gearing) than what you would "comfortably" ride the 300XC at consistently for any length of time (without blowing it up).

I have owned both bikes as mentioned above (on a 12 300XC now) and if I were riding fast open trails, I would choose the 450X anyday over the 300XC ... but since I ride mostly singletrack, the 300XC is the better choice by a significant margin for my area.

This "might" be the reason you don't see many 300's in your riding area ????

Both excellent bikes, but by no means similar. :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes

I ride a Honda 450x and am very interested in going back to a 2 stroke. The Honda is an awsome bike and great for the type of riding we do, as well all my buddies ride the same bike. We ride alot of single track in Arizona and New Mexico with some sand. So my question is WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????

Only do it if you want to have waaaayyyyyyy more fun!

One ride on a 300XC you would wanna melt that fat pig into scrap.

300XC is better everywhere.

Where do people get the idea that a heavy bike that rides with more weight on the front end would be better bike in sand? 2 stroke wins there as well.

and better in the fast stuff? No way a 450X is gonna smoke a KTM 300XC with equally competent riders.

all crazy talk

Edited by nofb

and better in the fast stuff? No way a 450X is gonna smoke a KTM 300XC with equally competent riders.

all crazy talk

Have you ever owned or ridden a 450X ?? Top speed is a sustainable 140 km/h ..... would like to see a 300XC sustain that (ps ... it won't even go that fast .. not even close). Your talking about a 40 km/h difference in "comfortable" top speed ... that is not rider.

A 450X is INFINITELY better in fast straight lines and in sand .... a 300XC is better in the woods .. no debate there. To say a 300XC is "gonna smoke" a 450X in fast open areas ... explain how ... given the 40 km top speed gap???

To say a 300XC would do equivalent or better in dunes type riding ... sorry. A CR500 .... sure, I would buy that argument :thumbsup:

Edited by supervokes

Four months ago I let one of my riding buddies ride my '09 300xc on some nasty single track while I used his 450x to tow another rider with a broken engine case back to the truck. He hounded me for 2 months after that to sell him my 300. Two months ago I sold it to him and picked up a '12 300xc. Now we are both happy campers (single trackers). Get a 300, you'll love it.

CoKTM

The newer 300xc's with the 6 speed make the top speed less an issue than it used to be when they were 5 speeds.

The newer 300xc's with the 6 speed make the top speed less an issue than it used to be when they were 5 speeds.

I have a 6 speed 2012 model now, and would not want to even ride it at 100 km/h for any length of time. Compared to a 450X the 300XC is slow. A 450X can easily "cruise" at 130 km/h for prolonged periods (I am talking from experience .. had one for 2 years)

Luckily in the woods, where the 300XC belongs, these types of speeds are not obtained.

I cannot understand why people are suggesting buying a 300XC if its fast sandy single track the author is riding. That is NOT the strength of the 300XC .. It is VERY SLOW compared to 450X ... that is a FACT.

Unless the author is comfortable giving up a 30-40 kn/h overall speed gap to his riding buddies, the 300XC is not the best option here. Ifs its slower woods riding , then YES, it is a much better option.

Not a debate really. I think its an ego thing playing out here (the dreaded Honda vs KTM debate)

Edited by supervokes

I have a 6 speed 2012 model now, and would not want to even ride it at 100 km/h for any length of time. Compared to a 450X the 300XC is slow. A 450X can easily "cruise" at 130 km/h for prolonged periods (I am talking from experience .. had one for 2 years)

Luckily in the woods, where the 300XC belongs, these types of speeds are not obtained.

I cannot understand why people are suggesting buying a 300XC if its fast sandy single track the author is riding. That is NOT the strength of the 300XC .. It is VERY SLOW compared to 450X ... that is a FACT.

Unless the author is comfortable giving up a 30-40 kn/h overall speed gap to his riding buddies, the 300XC is not the best option here. Ifs its slower woods riding , then YES, it is a much better option.

Not a debate really. I think its an ego thing playing out here (the dreaded Honda vs KTM debate)

You arent "cruising" at 130kph anywhere but a fire road,beach or dry lake. gtfo with that nonsense. Top speed is the dumbest spec ever for a dirt bike.

Have you even ridden the XC topped out? It is fast. I would bet close to that 140kmh figure. I will have to gps it next time.

That is a non issue anyway...a front sprocket is $15.

You arent "cruising" at 130kph anywhere but a fire road,beach or dry lake. gtfo with that nonsense. Top speed is the dumbest spec ever for a dirt bike.

Have you even ridden the XC topped out? It is fast. I would bet close to that 140kmh figure. I will have to gps it next time.

140 km/h ... I don't think so. In fact I KNOW so (I have GPS readings on both bikes). STOCK gearing comparison.

110 max .. and that is with an engine that is about to blow. Sorry but the 300 XC is not as fast and certainly CANNOT SUSTAIN high speeds for long periods of time. Dumb spec ... maybe for deep woods, but not for desert.

I have owned both bikes ... big deal ... the 450X is faster .. why won't you guys accept that (because its a Honda??). I am talking from over 2 years on the 450X and a season on the 300.

As I have said all along .. if your riding single track in slow woods, get the 300XC ... if your riding fast sandy trails, large open areas and fire roads .. KEEP the 450X. Not everybody has deep woods in their backyards.

Read the authors post ... I am sure there are a LOT of straight fast sections where he rides. By some peoples logic, the 300 should be entered in Baja ... wonder why its not ??? On the same token, you don't see too many 450X's in Romaniacs. Apples and Oranges.

Edited by supervokes