Sign in to follow this  

XL185S Cam inXR200R

Sweet! If you are not trying to keep up with xr400's, this makes the 200 juch nicer for inexperienced riders. It moves the torque down to a crawl so you don't kill it starting off on a hill and climbing over rocks as an idle. I know that almost everyone automatically goes for hotter cams but milder in this bike makes it much more ridable for some applications.

What's interesting is how much dynamic compression the XL cam added. The difference is very noticeable when kick starting it. Its enough that I feel the most comfortable finding TDC and then bringing the kick lever up to the top to activate the decompression device. I've heard the kick start assembly is weak on these bikes and can break if treated roughtly. More compression will only make this worse.

Yeah more compression because the XL cam closes the inlet valve sooner than the XR cam, and the XR has 10:1 compared to 9:1 or so on the XL. These engines were designed to run on pump regular so I suggest running pump premium for more protection from detonation.

Good observation on the kicker, it reputation abounds but I've had very few problems over the years but I always gently bump the engine to compression and then return the lever to the top and use light pressure to make sure the ratchet is engaged, and then a smooth firm kick. When the kick lever is horizontal the compression release deactivates but by then the flywheels are turning fast enough to carry the engine thru the compression stroke. Two things cause kicker problems; inoperative compression release and jabbing on the lever like a 2T, the result is eventual wear on the ratchet and broken gear teeth. Honda changed the kicker gears in 87 but continued to use the original ratchet. Years ago I bought a engine on ebay to build a 218 and found that it had been abused to failure. Unknown to me it also had a bad ratchet, shame on me I should have replaced it, so now I need to be careful starting the engine to prevent ratchet slippage.

• Like 1

As far as cam selection, there's a similar thing with the 230's. The L - M models have milder cams than the F's

i just got done picking through six XR200 ebay engines looking for usable parts. Every one a victim of neglect that would have been saved by a simple oil change. Its sad but these little warriors will run till the bitter end when they finally digest themselves.

They're tough but not immortal. To anyone who likes their bike,.. go change your oil! :bonk:

• Like 1

Tell me about it i got a vt 250 as well amount of those engines that havent been wreaked with low maintence or more like no maintence , whouldint be many ,

Found this on ebay new cam shaft intresting thing got new bearings pressed on dont know the quailty but..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-14100-KBB-900-CBX200-NX200-XR200-CBX-NX-XR-200-CAM-SHAFT-CAMSHAFT-/360574667887?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53f3eccc6f&vxp=mtr

Now that cam is interesting. Bearings all round. Looks good.

I checked the product code KBB from the ebay part number and couldn't find a match. The product code for the CRF230F cam is KPS so I thing the listing is bogus.

And it won't work in a XR200, wrong bearing ODs and no CDI drive.

• Like 1

I checked the product code KBB from the ebay part number and couldn't find a match. The product code for the CRF230F cam is KPS so I thing the listing is bogus.

And it won't work in a XR200, wrong bearing ODs and no CDI drive.

Hey Chuck ....yeah there were a few things about this that came to mind for the XR200. Rear journal cam locator was one of them and as you say CDI drive.

Edited by GEOF

I seem to remember my web 89A cam came packaged with NX200 listed as one of the bikes it fits. looks like that ebay cam will fit a 230 but it most likeley has mild specs like the 230 L cam??

Holy crap......I would not touch them....Sorry not for me.

Edited by GEOF

Yeah more compression because the XL cam closes the inlet valve sooner than the XR cam, and the XR has 10:1 compared to 9:1 or so on the XL. These engines were designed to run on pump regular so I suggest running pump premium for more protection from detonation.

Good observation on the kicker, it reputation abounds but I've had very few problems over the years but I always gently bump the engine to compression and then return the lever to the top and use light pressure to make sure the ratchet is engaged, and then a smooth firm kick. When the kick lever is horizontal the compression release deactivates but by then the flywheels are turning fast enough to carry the engine thru the compression stroke. Two things cause kicker problems; inoperative compression release and jabbing on the lever like a 2T, the result is eventual wear on the ratchet and broken gear teeth. Honda changed the kicker gears in 87 but continued to use the original ratchet. Years ago I bought a engine on ebay to build a 218 and found that it had been abused to failure. Unknown to me it also had a bad ratchet, shame on me I should have replaced it, so now I need to be careful starting the engine to prevent ratchet slippage.

Hi os there a trick to getting crank case toghter i brought old xr 200 twin shock and kick start was broken , actually gearbox was

seized, i replaced one the gears broken tooth fited second hand kick start pinion, know go to put crankcase covers togther wont

go toghter right does if take out the kickstart shaft seems to be binding almost the shaft out by few mms

The twin shock is obviously an early XR engine. Depends on which gear was replaced and what year it was. Honda changed counter shaft and cases in 86, kicker gears is 87. So some mix and matches don't work.

What year was the kicker gears?