Sign in to follow this  

XR650r oil filter cover leak

It leaks near the bottom most bolt. I used a new gasket/oring and the oil filter is installed the correct way. I have tried 2-3 times to make sure everything is ok. The seal seems perfect. Any advice? Should I just order a new filter cover? Does anybody use any sealant of any type to stop leaks in this area? Thanks.

Edited by medisyn

I wounder if the cover somehow got warped. i could imagine what else could cause the leak if the oring is new.

I wounder if the cover somehow got warped. i could imagine what else could cause the leak if the oring is new.

Yeah its possible, this bike is new to me. The first oil change since I bought it from some dude. I might order than and some honda bond. Maybe a small amount in the offending area with a new cover? I am not seeing any gouges or anything on the engine.

Edited by medisyn

lay cover on flat surface,check for warpage. I always oil o ring

I just broke down and got a new cover, bolts and a few extra o-rings. Do you guys replace the o-ring with every oil change?

I just broke down and got a new cover, bolts and a few extra o-rings. Do you guys replace the o-ring with every oil change?

No for a new o ring. Make sure the lower bolt isn't too long.

Edited by Ohio Rusty Spokes

yea i have never changed the oring after 7-10 oil changes and have never had a problem.

As an update to this, I put a brand new OEM cover on, used all new OEM honda bolts and a brand new OEM o-ring. still leaks in the same spot, below the lowest bolt. When I put a shop towel between the cover and engine you can see clearly a line of oil leaking between the two. I guess at this point I will need to use a sealant of some sort in that area.. Bah!

does it leak when the bike is running? whenever I change the filter (i change mine very often) I will get what looks like a small drip from the cover in the same spot you describe, I just start the bike up and get it up to working temperature, it never leaks after being warmed up.

and when you put in the filter cover you have to be careful, because of the spring on the filter, there will be tension on the lower part of the cover, but no tension on the upper, be sure you tighten all the bolts at an equal rate, don't just tighten one bolt at a time, not tightening the bolts in the correct way is a good way to warp the cover.

As an update to this, the crankcase cover was quite warped on all of its surfaces. No idea how that happened, prob something from the previous owner. I could not really get it milled, I tried, because it would effect clearance with the oil pump.

What fixed it was a new crankcase cover and oil filter cover with fresh gaskets to go around.