Sign in to follow this  

Noob needing new bike advice

I am planning on getting my first bike and enjoying lots of great trail riding. I have been doing some research and I think I have it narrowed down to two bikes. However, there is so much conflicting advice out there, and this site seems to have lots of great guidance, I thought it would be a great place to get some final advice. i am 47 yrs old, 5'10", 185 lbs. Want a good 4 stroke trail bike, no mx here. It seems from what I have read the CRF250X and the WR250F are two of the best choices. The CRF may have slight edge on reliability and speed while the WR has the edge on handling- which sounds good to me being a noobie trail rider. What do you all suggest for my size and experience?

thanks a bunch in advance. When I make my purchase I may be asking many more questions as I progress.

Never ridden a CRF250X but have ridden WR 250 and 450 several times. The WR 250 would be a good bike for what you want to do, your skill level and your height and weight.

You won't be disappointed with either bike.

Don't rule out the CRF450X, WR450F or the KLX450R. They all have magic buttons and all are fairly tame until you uncork them.

Once you have a 250, you'll be wanting a 450 within the year. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help guys! So maybe it makes sense to get the 250 first to get some experience, then with more time on a bike I can upgrade to a 450 next year! The I have the 250 for when my teenager is ready for it! Does that make good sense?

Thanks for the help guys! So maybe it makes sense to get the 250 first to get some experience, then with more time on a bike I can upgrade to a 450 next year! The I have the 250 for when my teenager is ready for it! Does that make good sense?

Good plan!

reliable 4 stroke? Can't hlep you there.. A 450 yamaha would be your best bet for reliability, but still is a time bomb and rocketship. That is why I like to compare them to a missile. Japan sends them over here, they go fast, they blow the eff up, and are destroying the world.

Edited by dirtjumpordie
  • Like 1

Hey noob, will this be a new bike? I have a wr450 and i don't think the weight is much more than the wr250. The motor on the 450 would last you forever and is very easy to control. Add a rekluse exp2.0 auto clutch and you have a perfect bike on the trail. I have a yz450 that i threw on a rekluse and its a real kitten on the trail now.