XR250L oil?

Brother just bought 96 xr250l to dual sport with me, what oil should he use when he changes it? everyone here tells me on my next change I should use Rotella T 15w-40. while that work well with XR??

Brother just bought 96 xr250l to dual sport with me, what oil should he use when he changes it? everyone here tells me on my next change I should use Rotella T 15w-40. while that work well with XR??

Rotella T 15W-40 will work, you may also want to try Rotella T6 syn 5w-40 both are great oils. Basically any JASO-MA spec oil will do. Lots of people are running Rotella with no complaints.

I think 5w-40 is OK only for winter temperatures, but is not specified in the manual. The 15w-40 is fine. The manual specifies 10w-40 from 10F to over 100F and 20w-50 above freezing to well beyond 100F. I run 20W- 50 for maximum protection in a hot climate and don't start the bike below freezing. This is the chart from the '91 XR250L owner's manual:

OilChart0261.jpg

Which brand of reusable oil filter is OK or are the OEM better? 1000 mile change intervals OK?

I think 5w-40 is OK only for winter temperatures, but is not specified in the manual. The 15w-40 is fine. The manual specifies 10w-40 from 10F to over 100F and 20w-50 above freezing to well beyond 100F. I run 20W- 50 for maximum protection in a hot climate and don't start the bike below freezing. This is the chart from the '91 XR250L owner's manual:

If I understand it correctly 5w40 will just offer more protection on cold starts over 15w40. When the oil reaches operating temps they should both be 40 weight. Also Rotella T 15w40 is conventional while Rotella T6 5w40 is synthetic.

Edited by jg83

I use the HiFlo oil filters. IMO I would change the oil more frequently, say every 600 - 800 miles. Mainly because the transmission and crank share the same oil.

Which brand of reusable oil filter is OK or are the OEM better? 1000 mile change intervals OK?

Honda recommends 2,000 miles for oil and 8,000 miles for filter intervals. I change mine more often.

The heavier oils offer a more protective film unless the pump cavitates on a cold start. Don't rev it 'til it's warmed up with thicker oil.

JG, check your cam lobes for wear/pitting next time you have the cover off .