XR4 great bike

Just went trail riding for 4 days in Baja.My 3 best bikes xr300-xr440-07 wr450.All of them heavy mods.This time rode the WR,Buddys xr440 also heavy mods. All day he would test mine I would ride his bike.Every mod done to both bikes and many you would not think of.Both bikes work perfect(For baja trail riding)One not better then the other.Xr is faster on single track,Wr faster on woops and flat road.One or the other too close to call the winner.We are talking about the old xr4 still rising hell. BTR

IMHO the old xr4 is the perfect bike for trailriding. It also is in a class of it‘s own when it comes to reliability and running cost. I sold my 1999 XR4 in 2002, it was in good shape even after three years of ridiculous abuse. My 2002 KTM 520 got the same treatment and it blew up after two summers. No complaints though, the KTM did fine considering the treatment it got.

I did buy “my” 1999 XR4 back and just finished rebuilding it. The bike was in remarkable good shape considering the hard life it has lived. I expected much worse. The engine had never been opened.

So after a EXC520, TE510 and several 2-strokes I still like the XR4 best for trailriding and the more relaxed riding I do now. Nimble bike, and the old-school engine is just great. Usable and friendly power, good torque. No stalling.

XR4’s for me from now on.

eed is relative to the amount of power a bike can put to the ground controlably and understandably to the rider.

For the average rider I don't know a better all around package than an xr400. It's pretty intuitive.

Just did 200 miles of twisty sand washes, hills and the Pinyon drop off trail. Compared to other bikes this one is easier to ride in most places.

I am an average rider and for sure I love my XR400!!! ....by "average" I mean: slow, not really interested in flying off jumps, enjoying following my 6yr old on his XR50. I can chug around for hours following my little pal and then zip off for a little quick getaway while he's playing with his buddies in between rides while we are out.

Speed is relative to the amount of power a bike can put to the ground controlably and understandably to the rider.

For the average rider I don't know a better all around package than an xr400. It's pretty intuitive.

Just did 200 miles of twisty sand washes, hills and the Pinyon drop off trail. Compared to other bikes this one is easier to ride in most places.

You just said it relative amount of power to the ground.Today we rode again,me on the Wr450 him on the 440.Roll on race sand wash after third gear.Dam my Wr450 could not pull the xr.

Keep in mind Larry, your xr is an xr440 ! Not a fair comparison :D

Ohh it's more than a fair comparison considering the wr450 makes 40+ hp . That is awesome to hear that the torquey xr4 can hang with a ripped wr 450!

No Chuckster it is my buddys 440,We dont know what cam is in it.It has tons of bottom end and over rev.The xr4s sign off at 6000-or 7000 rpm.My 450 over 9000-10000 rpm.Yes Wr will go by the xr4 on the street,but in the dirt no.We run same tires and 6psi,and both are 170 pounds.I know my 440 is not that fast as I use stage one cam,and cut the dome of the piston to lower comp.He has my pumper carb on it.Also large header tubes.His xr is very trick ,but so is my Wr.Even when he rides my Wr he says this bike is so perfect ,there is nothing you could do to make it better.(It would be nice if it could pull the old 98xr he rides) BTR

What I mean is it's not a comparison to a stock xr400 :D

Had such a nice time this weekend riding that xr400. Low end torque is really useful in the sand washes and rocky gullies. Might look into that 440 kit when the time comes.

Rode a wr450f with a plate a bit. Nice bike! Could improve the seat, but the rest of the bike was top quality. I think it even had a fan on it. Not my style anymore. I like the air cooled simplicity. Too many friends have bashed a radiator, puked a pumpkin (KTM) and I had overheat issues myself. Naw. Just slow down more, rubber neck and see the scenery on the xr's. If I was to buy a newer bike that Yamaha would be it. Only thing for me to improve these situations is a 6th gear in the xr400.

My old XR is sitting in my garage again.

Just storing it for now but he's gonna have a hard time getting it back come springtime. :ph34r:

I'll have another one some day I'm sure.

+1 ON THAT 6TH GEAR!!!!

You dont need 6th gear.All of us that ride xr4s Do have the 440 kits,They have more low end then you could ever use.We love to ride hard core single track(foot paths,cow trails,hill climbs,1st gear stuff for hours)Because of the low end,we all run 16-45 gears.I do have 13t-14t-15t after 440 kit 16t is on all the time now.The 440s are like tractors,they dont make HP,but low end is big time.BTR

You dont need 6th gear.All of us that ride xr4s Do have the 440 kits,They have more low end then you could ever use.We love to ride hard core single track(foot paths,cow trails,hill climbs,1st gear stuff for hours)Because of the low end,we all run 16-45 gears.I do have 13t-14t-15t after 440 kit 16t is on all the time now.The 440s are like tractors,they dont make HP,but low end is big time.BTR

I believe mine is stock displacement. Should I keep the 15t on, or the 13 that I bought?

I believe mine is stock displacement. Should I keep the 15t on, or the 13 that I bought?

Depends on what type riding you'll be doing. Either way, I don't recommend smaller than a 14. A 13 just creates too tight of a wrap around the front swingarm journal, with increased and premature wear on the chain slider. If that condition is neglected or not caught, the chain with eat thru the slider and then into the swingarm itself, then you're looking at big bucks.

For the type riding BTR is talking about, 14/47 on a stock XR works great.

No we always use the stock 45 on back(16 frt) When I lived in CA,and ride up in the woods where there was nowhere.To go faster then 40mph All hard single track(but trucked bike up there) We all used 13-45.You cant use that set up in Baja because you ride the bike to trail.With only 40 mph,wont work on road.On 1000 mile off road trips I have used 16-40,but then you cant do single track.So if we got in long hard single track,we would change on trail to 13t on front.With small mod to adjuster,we could use same chain.When you go with 440,then it stays at 16-45.Tractor power off idle,but more top end with 16t.That took care of the no 6th gear problem.BTR

My bike was doing 70 MPH with a beat to crap 13/45 set up. Do you change front sprockets on the road?

I still need a 6th gear for top end speed lol! I run a 16/45 combo most of the time on my gordon modded 02 xr4 and for the most part it keeps low rpm's for cruising at about 55mph on the street. It will top out at 86mph reved to the moon. If I had that sixth gear I could get great gas mileage even going 65-70mph. And it might top out at 90+ mph. Plus with a 6th gear I could run my favorite trail riding torque gears of 14/45 and have that 6th gear to pop into when hitting the road to cruise at 55-60mph. It would be great to have a sixth gear, but I do believe the xr is geared pretty well all in all though.

Edited by XL100allnightlong

Trailryder42, I think the xr4 just shreds the trails with 14/45 gearing, instant tire shredding power with the wick of the throttle in both first and second gear. Does the chain slider do okay with the 14/47 gearing you are talking about? I would like to buy a 47 rear to match the 14 front for super tight trails and maybe a 43 rear to match the 16 on the front for road riding, any problems with the stock chain length with these gearing configs?

13-45 = 70mph good way to blow motor.We start with 16-45 then if we get to single track(but single track that you would not call riding,its so hard,more like foot trail for 50-100 miles)then we put 13 on trail.For the most part we can do any motorcycle hard trail in baja with 16-45=440 motor.When we had KTM 525s 6th speeds we would gear down for trails.It put them close to the 440 5sp.They did not 6sp the xr4 because it was a heavy bike already.Yes the KTMs we had where 15 pounds less with the 6sp then the Xr.Hold on they did not last and that was years ago,its 2013 XRs still running! Good thing we did not sell them.BTR