New bike - KX250F

Hi,

My current ride is a 2005 CRF250X. This summer I'd like to get a newer bike. I mainly ride/race hare scrambles but I also like to ride motocross every now and again. I've had this bike for a few years and I think it's time for a change. I definitely want a modern bike (most 2010 or newer 250F's) and I've been really looking into a 2009 or 2010 KX250F. But, I've heard some things about kawasakis that make me question their reliability. Has anyone ever had extensive problems with them in the woods or even on the track? Please let me know! And what are some good things to do to one to get it woods ready? First thing I always do is suspension.

Uhhh.. Coming off a honda seams like anything is more reliable?(jk) the early honda crfs and kxfs had big problems, I think the newer models 03 up are all better.

The '04 KX250Fs had some problems with the valves, but fixed for '05. By the time you get to '09-'10, they are as solid as anything out there.

Uhhh.. Coming off a honda seams like anything is more reliable?(jk) the early honda crfs and kxfs had big problems, I think the newer models 03 up are all better.

The amount of mis-information on this site can be quite mind boggling at times. You wanna go check when the first KXF's and CRF's were made, and then maybe re-phrase the "I think the newer models 03 up are all better" ???

:banghead: :banghead: :naughty:

:rant: :rant:

To the op, you would still be looking at a 250F that is 3-4 seasons old. Make sure you look around for a good bike, take your time, and you will find a good buy. There are good second hand buys out there, you just have to look. I know of quite a few guys who have had a great run out of their 2010, 2011 Kawi 250F's, and I have also seen a couple of 2010 and 2011 Kawi's that have been nothing but dramas. Find a good, low hour, well maintained bike, and you will have a great bike.

Ahh I see. I just notice sometimes that people always bash on Kawi's or call them garbage :p My Honda really hasn't had problems with it, it's just getting to be where I need a faster bike as I start to ride more and get better. Thanks for the info guys! Any tips on setting a KX up for woods racing? I've been looking around for a parts list of a Monster Energy Kawasaki off-road bike.

Ahh I see. I just notice sometimes that people always bash on Kawi's or call them garbage :p My Honda really hasn't had problems with it, it's just getting to be where I need a faster bike as I start to ride more and get better. Thanks for the info guys! Any tips on setting a KX up for woods racing? I've been looking around for a parts list of a Monster Energy Kawasaki off-road bike.

i got a 2013 from a dealer friend for a good price. money invested so far to go woods riding (most of this stuff came from the local dealer and i got discount pricing).

suspension valving and respring for both ends from WER in New Jersey, it's simply phenomenal.

moose aluminum skidplate, motion pro coolant recovery tank, pillow grips, 1" bar risers, moose 18x2.15 rear rim and coated spokes ( i'll build the wheel myself with the stock hub), moose bark busters and plastic handguards, rekluse exp (the entry level one), quick fork air bleeders, sunline gas cap vent, heavy duty tubes for both ends.

things i have to still get:

new chain, new tires (i hate the mx51's on it now and the 18" rim will need a new one anyway), steering damper, maybe a hammerhead shifter and i'll make some aluminum case guards, emperor racing radiator braces.

you could very well ride the bike with just some suspension work, but i wanted to make this one just the way i liked, so i got all of the stuff listed above.

i got a 2013 from a dealer friend for a good price. money invested so far to go woods riding (most of this stuff came from the local dealer and i got discount pricing).

suspension valving and respring for both ends from WER in New Jersey, it's simply phenomenal.

moose aluminum skidplate, motion pro coolant recovery tank, pillow grips, 1" bar risers, moose 18x2.15 rear rim and coated spokes ( i'll build the wheel myself with the stock hub), moose bark busters and plastic handguards, rekluse exp (the entry level one), quick fork air bleeders, sunline gas cap vent, heavy duty tubes for both ends.

things i have to still get:

new chain, new tires (i hate the mx51's on it now and the 18" rim will need a new one anyway), steering damper, maybe a hammerhead shifter and i'll make some aluminum case guards, emperor racing radiator braces.

you could very well ride the bike with just some suspension work, but i wanted to make this one just the way i liked, so i got all of the stuff listed above.

WER also did my suspension best money I spent on the bike!

I love my 2009 kx250 its a great Bike