EFI vs. Carb

First off, Sorry....I'm sure this has been covered but when I searched TT I couldn't really find what I was looking for...

I could get a brand new 2013 for 6700 plus tax and title

or a new 2012 for 6200 plus tax and title

OR a used 09 modded for a top B rider (my friend) for 3500.

But 09's aren't fuel injected...I looked at Honda's website and did a side by side with the 2013 and 2012 as far as specs and they look identical. Any differences at all? Besides 2 pounds less in the 2013...

So, What are your opinions on the fuel injection? I've heard people that say they wouldn't go back to a carb, and others that say fuel injection is no better than a carb. Does it actually make the power smoother than without or is that all bs? I mean looking at automobile history, the carb was a mess and once it was ditched it never came back...same with bikes? I'm coming up from a 150rb, so I hear it'll be quite a big difference with an extra 40 pounds of bike and the extra power. I don't think I'll be doing any mods to improve performance for a while. I mean, unless I get the carb'd.

I mostly ride on tracks, but my buddies are racing hare scrambles this summer and I might give it a go as well. Is the EFI better for certain kinds of riding?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Aaron

There is no tangible difference in power between a carbed bike and an EFI bike.

EFI gets you better response, easier to start, more consistent, and you dont have to worry about clogged jets, jetting, a/f mixture.

But a properly tuned carb will perform just as well as an EFI bike.

I have an 05 250r, and I love it...but for sure my next bike (probably a crf or rmz 450) will be EFI.

Paying double the price for EFi doesn't really make sense, does it ? Take the extra 3,000 and use it for maintenance and modifications. That really is a lot of money !

Last generation of CRF it's a lot reliable than the other one. I'll never go back to a carburated bake. EFI work so well, so linear power band without anybog.

Yes the 2009 is cheaper but this one is also used, you must go with the newer bike you can afford.

2012 vs 2013 :

The 2013 get stiffer fork spring, better suspension balance and a better power delivery. If you weight more than 150 lbs, you must replace the fork spring in a 2012 CRF for a better front end stability. But 2012 still a great bike.

So at your place, I should buy the 2013 if you weigth more than 150, unless you gonna need to spend some buck for replace the fork spring. I won't cost 500$ for a spring set, but when you gonna sell your bike in some year, you gonna be able to get a little more cash for a 2013

There is no tangible difference in power between a carbed bike and an EFI bike.

EFI gets you better response, easier to start, more consistent, and you dont have to worry about clogged jets, jetting, a/f mixture.

But a properly tuned carb will perform just as well as an EFI bike.

I have an 05 250r, and I love it...but for sure my next bike (probably a crf or rmz 450) will be EFI.

So basically the benefits are that you can crash and not have to spend 5 minutes kicking? And no re-jetting with aftermarket exhaust? Or do you still adjust the EFI somehow?

Paying double the price for EFi doesn't really make sense, does it ? Take the extra 3,000 and use it for maintenance and modifications. That really is a lot of money !

Not trying to sound like a rich kid, But money for the bike isn't an issue. We're selling a couple of my old bikes to get money to use toward this bike. Yea, It is a lot, But I'ts probably gonna be the last bike before I leave home.....and my track.....and my woods track. :( Basically, I want this bike to be as perfect as I can get it.

Last generation of CRF it's a lot reliable than the other one. I'll never go back to a carburated bake. EFI work so well, so linear power band without anybog.

Yes the 2009 is cheaper but this one is also used, you must go with the newer bike you can afford.

2012 vs 2013 :

The 2013 get stiffer fork spring, better suspension balance and a better power delivery. If you weight more than 150 lbs, you must replace the fork spring in a 2012 CRF for a better front end stability. But 2012 still a great bike.

So at your place, I should buy the 2013 if you weigth more than 150, unless you gonna need to spend some buck for replace the fork spring. I won't cost 500$ for a spring set, but when you gonna sell your bike in some year, you gonna be able to get a little more cash for a 2013

I weigh 140 now....But I usually loose 5 in the summer. Oh, and I'm 5'11". The time to get a 250 from a 150 is LONG over due. Yea, I'm skinny. hahaha You think I could leave the stock suspension after adjustments since im a little guy? And I'm kinda planning on keeping the next bike for quite a while.....probably at least until I'm done with college and have some of my own money to use towards something newer and fancier. It seems like I should be racing in the 12-15 85cc Jr. class instead of going into the big bike beginner class. Dang time flies. 2 years and I'm done with high school, so this is going to hopefully be my dream bike before my childhood no more.

Is the 2013 worth the extra $?

Go efi! Just save your self some money and get the 12.. I have the 12 and love it. There's not even much of a difference between the 12 and 13 and you probably wouldn't even notice the difference... I will never have a carbed bike again unless its a 2 stroke!

Go efi! Just save your self some money and get the 12.. I have the 12 and love it. There's not even much of a difference between the 12 and 13 and you probably wouldn't even notice the difference... I will never have a carbed bike again unless its a 2 stroke!

Honestly, I don't think there probably is either. I know for a fact there is a big difference between the 2010 and 2012 and 2012's though.

If you buy the carb'd bike there's a good chance you'll regret it when you can't get it started.

If you buy the FI bike you will never have a problem starting it.

If you buy the carb'd bike there's a good chance you'll regret it when you can't get it started.

If you buy the FI bike you will never have a problem starting it.

So the main difference is starting it? That kinda stuff? smoother acceleration, less bog? Is the 2013 worth the additional 600?

As mentioned earlier, the '13 has stiffer fork springs than the '12. At your weight, experience level and that you may hare scramble a bit, you would be better suited with the '12 forks. Another EFI benefit is a little better fuel mileage and you don't lose any fuel when you lay the bike down - pretty important when you go off road.

As mentioned earlier, the '13 has stiffer fork springs than the '12. At your weight, experience level and that you may hare scramble a bit, you would be better suited with the '12 forks. Another EFI benefit is a little better fuel mileage and you don't lose any fuel when you lay the bike down - pretty important when you go off road.

If I went with the 13 wouldn't i be able to dial in the stock suspension?

Call a suspension shop that can recommend spring rates for you then buy the bike that has the closest rate

The 2010-2013 CRF250R are, essentially, exactly the same bike... Honda swapped a couple of valving shims and a suspension spring or two, but they are the same.

Edited by Ed2006CRF450R

Do the plastics from 10-13 fit each other?

Do the plastics from 10-13 fit each other?

yes

2010-13 all use the 5th gen frame.

2010 is great running bike (own one personnaly) In is stock form the engine lack a little of bottom power and the stability of the bike need some work. Some time te rear end bounce a lot and in another situation you get terrible handshake. At 185 lbs, I upgrade with a factory connection linkage and add .01 (.46 kg-cm) fork spring. With 108 mm sag the bike is now really stable in every situation and the front end keep is line so well. I also put a full Yosh system with a updated fuel map and removed backfire screen. I now get a power similar to a 2012. I get 85 hours on it without any trouble. I replace the fuel filters, crankshaft, piston, suspension oil and regrease everything at 35 hours in my offseason maintenance

2011 have some little upgrade in the suspension valving and a smaller throtle body, this give the bottom power needed to the 2010 . They also upgrade the fuel pump design, so the fuel filters is now able to run more than 50 hours on it

2012 is a great year for the with bigger HSSD, newer camshaft and head design, better rear linkage. Kindly perfect for someone weight less than 150 lbs (my riding buddy own one). The power is great oem, suspension work well, linkage upgrade is just perfect, no more rear end bounce. But, still need stiffer spring for keep the front end in line in sand track corner. (Don't forget, I weight 185)

2013 seen to be the perfect bike, once again they upgrade the power delivery with the strongest mid end power of all the 250F and stiffer fork spring.

But in your place, you should safe 600$ and go with the 2012 bike, this one is really awesome and you can put the extra 600$ otherwhere.

Edited by DarkCRF

I'd never go back to a carbed 4t. 85 hours on my 12' and its AWESOME.

I'd never go back to a carbed 4t. 85 hours on my 12' and its AWESOME.

My dad's been calling places. He gave me his phone and told me to call my mom cause mine died...I unlocked his phone and went to recent calls to make it quick. There is Fun Mart cycles # about 4 times....and 30 minutes calls.......hmmmmmm...I haven't broke my bike lately, so no need for parts.... :) later on tonight he made a comment saying "If you want that 250, you need a 4.0." I'm litterally at a 3.97. So annoying hahahaha. Not sure what he'll go with, I'm kinda hoping the 2012....But I don't care if it's a 13. Either way eventually I'm gonna buy the bike from him/pay new price even if it's 4 years, so I'm not trying to intentionally go for the expensive bike coming out of mom and dads pocket.

Does it start well in cold weather? Better than a carb'd bike?

lol whatever you do don't buy a carbed bike if you have the chance to buy a 2012+ Honda.

My 09 has carb problems every 8 seconds, hates starting I've jetted it 3274592 times and there's always something new.

My friends '12 has 50 hard race hours on it and not even a valve adjustment, always starts and is way better ergo-wise.

Went back to 2-stroke myself but would take a '12 Honda 250f if given the opportunity!

My neighbor's kid has a '12 250r and his kid beats the shit out of it. 65 hours without anything other than oil and filter changes...still starts within the first 5 kicks cold, and starts first kick hot.

My next bike for sure, will be an EFI honda.