drz 400 model identification/sm front forks

Hi Guys

New to site need some help.

I have a drz400- 2003 and i am trying to work out what model it is, is there any quick way to find out so i can start ordering parts. i have been offered a pair of 2008 sm wheels for road use if i want them will they fit straight in or do i have to swap Discs/rotors.

Will the complete front end of a 2008 upside down forks go onto my frame.

I will try and attach a photo but this is my first time so bear with me.

Thanks

IMG_0893.jpg

If you havent changed the brake lines, you'll see the year/month config on the lines.

The following is what I used. I have a 2004.

Model type vin 7th position vin 8th position

S------3-----A

SM----4-----A

E------3-----3

Thanks will have a look

Hi

Had a look at the frame no JS1BC111100------ and eng no K419-117---

so 7/8 digit dont add up am i counting wrong.

cheers

E, S and SM share the same frame so if you have a fork/triple clamp assembly it will bolt on.

The 47mm USD SM fork is a dual chamber design and has about 1 inch of less travel compared to the 49mm conventional cartridge fork of the S/E model.

If I were you I would spend my money respringing and possibly revalving the 49C as it is a fork better suited to off road work and by general consensous an excellent fork if set up for your weight and riding conditions.

Servicing it will also be much easier.

All DRZ's also share the same hubs, the SM however sports larger front rotor, so unless you use a relocating bracket for the brake caliper you will need to change the rotor on the SM wheel [probably not a good idea].

Sprockets also differ to accommodate for the different wheel sizes, so depending on your front sprocket and chain length you may need to adjust your final drive everytime you swap wheels.

Hi

Had a look at the frame no JS1BC111100------ and eng no K419-117---

so 7/8 digit dont add up am i counting wrong.

cheers

I'm not sure, sorry. It worked perfect for me. I'll double check when I get home.