WR200 project

Howdy Fellas,

Over the weekend I bought myself a '96 model WR200 as a bit of a project bike :ride:

IMAG0015_zps28577a2c.jpg

Most notably it needs some side plastics, but aside from that it just needs a tidy up. It runs well but I'm yet to pull the top end for a proper look, thankfully most mechanical parts seem to be readily available as I've already discovered it's in need of bearings in the wheels and possibly linkage. If anyone can point me to some side plastics, I'd be extremely appreciative!

At some point it will be fitted with a speedo, indicators and mirrors as full reg makes flogging around the forests headache free. Chances are it's getting an FMF pipe and Boyesen reeds, it's already got a Pro Circuit muffler which I'll repack. I'll probably do a bit of melted zip tie repair on the existing plastics as there are a few cracks...

Comments, thoughts, criticisms, tips and information all welcome!

Edited by krazed0451
  • Like 1

In 2006 the wr200 parts catalog was discontinued by Yamaha, so getting OEM parts from the dealer is out of the question. But there are a lot of OEM parts for sale on the internet either through ebay or ebay.uk that are cheaper than dealer prices. The biggest pain in the ass i ever had with the wr200 was finding plastics for it. But for the most part everything you ever need for the bike can be found on ebay, today i found a full set of plasitics for it along with pretty much every other part for the bike.

Cisco's Race tuning in Melbourne had a very good race kit for them that really made them get up and go.

Not sure now, but Steve told me a while back that he had some kits still.

Maybe worth talking to him

• Like 1

A lot of oem parts are still available, check oem first. I always liked those bikes, but was horrified by how low the shock linkage hung!

It's certainly out there. It's going to be interesting the first time I mount a log on it...

...today i found a full set of plasitics for it along with pretty much every other part for the bike.

Can you please link me to the plastics? I can't find a set for the life of me!

Cisco's Race tuning in Melbourne had a very good race kit for them that really made them get up and go.

Not sure now, but Steve told me a while back that he had some kits still.

Maybe worth talking to him

Sounds awesome! ?

The pipes listed in the US only seem to offer 91-93, but I think that's probably just due to the years of release over there. Does anyone know if there was a difference in the pipes between 92-96 or whether I'll be able to grab one of the aforementioned years?

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far :D

Edited by krazed0451

Once upon a time there were swingarm, linkage and wheel bearings...

IMG_0867_zps98931d87.jpg

That's one side of the swingarm... Linkage bearings are in much the same condition and the rear wheel is just slightly clunky; all will be replaced and I'll do the front wheel at the same time for good measure. The headstock bearings feel good but I'll have a look at them soon.

Edited by krazed0451
  • Like 1

Dear Lord you have your work cut out for you!

It's probably not as bad as that particular photo makes it look, it's actually a combination of grease and dirt, not just dirt and rust! With new bearings and a bit of adjustment it should be as good as new. I'm already waiting on wheel bearings and will order some linkage and swingarm bearings ASAP. I'm hoping the rear shock isn't shot, but only one clicker moves and it looks a bit oily, might be in need of a rebuild.

I'm debating with myself whether it's worth stripping it to the frame. I think it's going to get bearings and the head inspected and I'll go from there... I want to go flog this thing around the bush ?

Additionally, I heard back from Cisco's, they don't have any more WR200 race kits :(

Edited by krazed0451

Thanks Vernsker, I'd tracked down all but the front guard you posted... Which is good as mine has a fair sized crack ?

I'm going to just get the mechanicals done as a priority then I'm happy to be patient and keep an eye out for cheap plastic from wrecked bikes etc, although I will buy that front guard.

I've nearly removed all bearings from the swingarm and linkage... I just need to remove a couple of sleeves from the rear of the engine and get a corroded clip out that is stopping me from removing the lower shock mount bearing. They're currently soaking in RP7 :D

Really like your bike. I raced and rode a cyan-blue and then a dark blue one for a while. The rear linkage hanging down was never a problem for the offroad racing that I did. Good 'dual sport' go anywhere easy kind of bike. This 2-stroke engine was super-smooth and well refined (no vibration) and durable (much better than KDX). Sits pretty well on dirt roads and a little bit of asphalt is okay if you need to ride to the start of your trails.

+1 of the Pro Circuit exhaust, made an excellent upgrade. I beleive the expansion chamber were all the same thru the years. Appart from the more open silencer, the PC expansion chamber makes more noise than the equivalent OEM exhaust which may have been a heavier gauge of steel or dual wall. You might want to consider improving the area under the back wheel by using old inner tubes between the plastics, frame and seat. This will reduce dust getting kicked off the rear wheel landing on the relatively small air-fitler.

We may have run heavier fork springs, but I just don't recall. I think the front brake was pretty average, even compared to the 1996 YZs, which weren't that flash anyway. You might consider adding some Honda parts.

I recall Stefan Merriman piloting a 1996 WR200 to the overall win at the Australian Four Day Enduro in Qld. Good times. If Ballards don't know which parts work best, they should be able to put you in touch with someone who does.

Thanks for the wealth of info Swappa! I hadn't considered using inner tubes, was going to try replacing the stock bits of foam but I reckon some well placed tube will do a better job ?

As for the expansion chamber, I've only seen the FMF chambers for sale but I'll keep an eye out for a PC chamber.

I'll see how the suspension/brakes feel after my first decent ride on it and go from there...

FRECNDY - Should be an absolute blast, link us to a build thread ?

Edited by krazed0451

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...