dealer set up fees ?

so im thinking about getting another new ktm but the dealer wants to charge a set up and freight fee of 490 dollars witch im not going to pay. does anyone else pay these fees ??

This topic has been discussed to tears here on TT. Use the search function. But, NO payee the fee. This is how the dealer recoups a “discounted” price and/or pads the bottom line.

Edited by youngztr

$490 is effen outrageous. I wouldn't pay it either. If they will not bend at all, I'd find a different dealer. BTW, did they tell you there would be a setup fee when you closed the deal???

Manufacturers 'rebate' dealers setup fees. Usually done by the shop monkey and takes maybe 90 minutes.

Frieght can vary but... are factored into the dealers invoice cost. Large dealers order truck loads of bikes at a time and have very low, to non-exstent frieght costs. A dealer who special orders a bike for you will have tha expense however, it is NEVER EVER an add on to MSRP.

Most dealers will try and 'fee you to death'. Do not pay them.

didnt close the deal beacause they wanted to charge the fee so they lost a 10k sale because of it.

This topic has been discussed to tears here on TT. Use the search function. But, NO payee the fee. This is how the dealer recoups a “discounted” price and/or pads the bottom line.

Where do you buy your bikes in CA? every dealer here charges fees and every one Ive talked to will hardly budge on them. They are all colluding or something.

Freight and prep are included in retail price. If its a sale, dont let the fees equate to more than msrp, otherwise, your getting hosed

Where do you buy your bikes in CA? every dealer here charges fees and every one Ive talked to will hardly budge on them. They are all colluding or something.

Freight and prep are included in retail price. If its a sale, dont let the fees equate to more than msrp, otherwise, your getting hosed

nofb - ^ Exactly as stated by ickfinger!!!

But yes, the dealers are taking advantage of Californians. Remember the margins on dirt bikes are small. You see the OTD price of $10k and think the dealer is a stealer when in fact the dealer is only making a few hundred bucks. Dealers try to make a bit more money with the fees. You can seal the deal by purchasing goodies at the dealer which have a much higher margin to the dealer than the bike itself. If you need some new stuff for your new bike, work the total deal for both stuff and bike.

Edited by youngztr

Who cares what kind of stuff they want to add to the price as long as you walk out the door paying YOUR bottom line.

Just ask for it in the box and set it up yourself......

I've done that with a few bikes

Just ask for it in the box and set it up yourself......

I've done that with a few bikes

At the retail level, this can be done with bikes sold without warranty. However, if the bike has a warranty and you wish the manufacture to honor the warranty, a factory authorized dealer needs to set up the bike.

Edited by youngztr

At the retail level, this can be done with bikes sold without warranty. However, if the bike has a warranty and you wish the manufacture to honor the warranty, a factory authorized dealer needs to set up the bike.

So I could argue two points.....

1.) If your just price buying and have no dealer loyalty, I don't care much about them wanting to charge you. Its a one time thing, they probably won't see you again. On top of that, your only shopping for the best price. Regarding warranty, if its a dirtbike, what warranty?

2.) If you have a good relationship with your dealer, been going there for years and they know you as a honest guy, they really have nothing to lose about sending you home with the bike and no setup fees. They will make it up on the back end with you coming back. Regarding warranty, what warranty?

nofb - ^ Exactly as stated by ickfinger!!!

But yes, the dealers are taking advantage of Californians. Remember the margins on dirt bikes are small. You see the OTD price of $10k and think the dealer is a stealer when in fact the dealer is only making a few hundred bucks. Dealers try to make a bit more money with the fees. You can seal the deal by purchasing goodies at the dealer which have a much higher margin to the dealer than the bike itself. If you need some new stuff for your new bike, work the total deal for both stuff and bike.

You didnt answer my question....where in CA can you buy a bike without paying fees? I would love to know.

Its nice to tell people not to pay fees but what if every dealer is screwing you and you dont have a choice? Try walking into every dealer in So Cal and tell them you wont pay their bs fees.

You didnt answer my question....where in CA can you buy a bike without paying fees? I would love to know.

Its nice to tell people not to pay fees but what if every dealer is screwing you and you dont have a choice? Try walking into every dealer in So Cal and tell them you wont pay their bs fees.

I have never, ever been to a dealer that doesn't charge these fees in WA or ID. Perhaps they are out there, but I haven't seen one. While I would love not to pay them, it seems next to impossible to avoid, especially if you want a popular bike, such as a KTM XCW. I just consider it as part of the bottom line and negotiate final price with them. However they divvy it up on the forms between bike/freight/setup doesn't matter to me.

Edited by pdiddy

most dealers, if they don't know you really well won't sell a crate bike due to liability. Wheel falls off 1st ride and they might get sued. Also their obligation with the manufacture has them going over a check list on the bike before sale. It's dooable, done 1 bike and several sleds that way but not common practice.

handful of dealers in wa and ore advertise no f and s charges, but it's just numbers. Bought a couple bikes just writing a check for the price marked on the bike or advertised. They worked backward on the sales tax and f+s title reg ect. to come to that end, And they still made money,

Edited by highmarker

Don't worry about setup or freight fees. Work out the out the door cost including everything. It is common these days for dealers to tag bikes with exorbant fees to make you feel like they are giving you a deal when they discount them a bit. Hint: your out the door cost with all fees and taxes should be less than MSRP unless it is a HIGHLY desirable bike with limited availability.

I once bought a new bike with a MSRP of 8100. My out the door cost was about 7600. I laughed when i got the contract. 5K for the bike, 2K for setup and freight and the rest tax. I think the dealer did it this way to minimize the taxable amount so they could pocket more. Kind of shady but thier problem not mine.

Not in Ca, but very close. Carson motorsports in Carson city nv will waive the set up freight fees. Last month they had a deal going on for the left over 2012's they had, 100$ below dealer invoice, no freight no set up.

how much crap do you guys go through to buy a bike? when i bought mine i called ahead, said hey so and so sent me over what can you do for me. it was a good price, i said ok, walked up with cash a few weeks later signed some papers. loaded and left. one of the easiest things ive ever done.

They call it PDI in Canada.. Or B.C at least.. Pre delivery Inspection fee.. So they take it out of the box, put the front tire and bars/controls on and call it $500 inspection fee.. Then once you get it home you tear it all apart to grease all the parts and bearings any way.. If I ever buy new?? LOL. It will be in the box.. Save me time of dissasembly and the MX bikes done have warranty any way.. My 2cs

I think it depends on if the dealer sells alot of bikes or when you buy it. If your getting a great deal on the bike they try to make back some of that $$ with the fees, if you buy the bike when they first come out and they are full price, they will drop the fees for the deal. Buying a leftover also the fees are waived for the deal most of the time. But there are always those shops that never waive the fees, Its nice to shop around and buy where you get the best deal and they want to take care of you. In my eyes customer service always wins me over even if it not the cheapest place.

Edited by STR8SHOOTR