2011 Ergonomics for 6 foot rider

I just purchased a used 2011 450F that is all stock, I've been reading that the bike is designed more for smaller riders. Just looking for some recommendation on possible changes that would benefit someone of my height. I see a lot of people change to the RC high but not sure if those would be to high for me being only 6 feet. Any recommendations would be great.

I just purchased a used 2011 450F that is all stock, I've been reading that the bike is designed more for smaller riders. Just looking for some recommendation on possible changes that would benefit someone of my height. I see a lot of people change to the RC high but not sure if those would be to high for me being only 6 feet. Any recommendations would be great.

Who did you hear that from?

I'm 6'3" and like the ergonomics of the KX450. It fits me better than any other other 450 on the market.

I've tried different setups to make the bike more comfortable, but ultimately the stock setup was

most comfortable for me.

Good luck.

+1, I'm 6'1" tall and just got back from the track. My KX450 fits me like a glove. Do you feel cramped or something? I've heard that about other makes but not Kawi.

I've read from different places that a lot of people 6 foot and above will use the RC high bend bars.

I've read from different places that a lot of people 6 foot and above will use the RC high bend bars.

Where are you reading this stuff? lol

I made the same mistake you are about to make. RC High must be more comfortable than the the

stock Renthal 997, right? It has to because Pro Taper puts "High" in their name.

Well I was wrong. I bought the RC High and hated them. They actually felt lower than the stock Renthal 997

bend.

Now compare the heights between the RC High to our stock Renthal 997:

http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/contour

http://www.renthal.com/File/product3d.asp?productid=0&tabtype=5&zone=&biketype=&manufacturer=&model=&bikedate=

95 MM tall for the RC High and 99 MM tall for the 997.

Our stock handlebars are actually 4 MM taller than the RC High.

This is obviously all personal preference. I personally didn't like the extra sweep with the

RC High along with the loss in height, but you may.

Again, good luck.

6'2"

I run cr high love them. Did not like stock bars.

Hope this helps

Ernie

Where are you reading this stuff? lol

I made the same mistake you are about to make. RC High must be more comfortable than the the

stock Renthal 997, right? It has to because Pro Taper puts "High" in their name.

Well I was wrong. I bought the RC High and hated them. They actually felt lower than the stock Renthal 997

bend.

Now compare the heights between the RC High to our stock Renthal 997:

http://www.protaper....dlebars/contour

http://www.renthal.c...odel=&bikedate=

95 MM tall for the RC High and 99 MM tall for the 997.

Our stock handlebars are actually 4 MM taller than the RC High.

This is obviously all personal preference. I personally didn't like the extra sweep with the

RC High along with the loss in height, but you may.

Again, good luck.

The RC high look like they are actually 119mm rise and have less sweep than the stock bars.

Not sure who told you it's for smaller guys, kawi is made more for big guys. I'm 6"1 and with very little change it fits me perfectly.

What changes did you make?

I have a 2011 KX450F 2000 KX250 2006 WR250F and 2005 XR650L. And I am 5'11" but the 450 feels awkward compared to my other bikes. One of the problems comes from a high footpeg and a short shift level compared to my other bikes(2012 and 2013 KX are better here). So I've tried a lot of things to get comfortable on the bike compared to my other bikes. I put a longer shift lever on because I got new stiffer boots, well that worked ok but then I ground down the pegs teeth to give the pegs a slight arch it cured my shifting and I went back to stock shifter. Second, all my friends were running protapers and steering dampers. I followed that route and used a woods bend that was high, but the GPR steering damper mounts added another inch to height and while I liked it standing up, It looked and felt too tall when sitting. Also the extra height was a disadvantage in tight woods for ducking and weaving (which my buddies like to do a lot of). So I took a measurement that I don't see others use, measured from pegs tip to handlebar tips with bars straight. All my other bikes were in the 33-34" range and KX450 was running 35". So I went with a Protaper EVO RC bend which was lower than the Protaper Contour Woods high bend by 3/4" and it put the bike back in my other bikes range at 34" peg to bar. I have not ridden the bike yet but it sure feels good, hope it works to suit. Not sure but I may go back to stock bar and mounts in future if this doesn't suit me. Seems like I am going in circles as you may have noticed. My little WR250F seems to be the most comfortable, followed by the KX250 for long hard rides of 40+ miles. Softer suspension, lower gearing, and less HP may be a big part of my problem with long rides on the 450 but I still love it to death and will not part with it. It has advantages over newer KX450's for me in that it has bigger tank, softer suspension, smoother power.

004.JPG

All I did was get a tall seat, the cockpit feels natural to me.I have seen a few guys get the lowboy footpegs but I don't want to risk dragging my foot thru a rut.

I'm 6'1" and all i did was +20mm fat bar mounts and Windham bend Pro Taper bars. Bike egros are perfect for me.

I went with taller bars and the only other thing I may change is the shifter for a Hammerhead. I'm 6'2 btw.

Fastway make footpegs that allow them to be mounted in a "lowboy" position. It lowers the stock height by about 1/2 inch to an 1 inch. Check it out!

I'm 6'4" and have a 2011 kx450f. I kept the stock bars and added some Tusk bar risers. I've never felt more comfortable riding. I originally tried a "high" bend but got more at pump because of the angle I think.

NorCal, I think you're confusing RC High (as in Carmichael) with CR High. RC High is the tallest thing you can get that as far as regular MX bends without straying into ATV, Mini or freestyle territory.

I'm 6'1" and run the fastway pegs in the low boy position and the RC High's. I like the setup. In the past I've run tall seats and prefer the feel of the lowboy footpeg position with the stock foam height vs the high seat with stock peg position. I ran the MC/Henry bend forever and finally switched to the RC High after reading about dudes doing it on here. I'll probably go ahead and swap in between motos one of these days just to make sure, but in about 6 months of just RC Highs I'm digging them.

The biggest improvement I made to my 2011 KX450F was a factory connection revalve/respring. Allthough it isn't the best job I've had (I prefer a PC job I got on my KX250F a few years ago), it is light years better than stock. The footpegs and bars were more minor improvements. I'm running the stock link as well, don't know if any tall guys have switched to the longer/lower link or what their results were. Before anyone gets up in arms on FC vs PC, I understand the lighter weight of a 250 makes in inherently handle better, therefore suspension tuning quality can't be judged on different bikes.

NorCal, I think you're confusing RC High (as in Carmichael) with CR High. RC High is the tallest thing you can get that as far as regular MX bends without straying into ATV, Mini or freestyle territory.

I'm 6'1" and run the fastway pegs in the low boy position and the RC High's. I like the setup. In the past I've run tall seats and prefer the feel of the lowboy footpeg position with the stock foam height vs the high seat with stock peg position. I ran the MC/Henry bend forever and finally switched to the RC High after reading about dudes doing it on here. I'll probably go ahead and swap in between motos one of these days just to make sure, but in about 6 months of just RC Highs I'm digging them.

The biggest improvement I made to my 2011 KX450F was a factory connection revalve/respring. Allthough it isn't the best job I've had (I prefer a PC job I got on my KX250F a few years ago), it is light years better than stock. The footpegs and bars were more minor improvements. I'm running the stock link as well, don't know if any tall guys have switched to the longer/lower link or what their results were. Before anyone gets up in arms on FC vs PC, I understand the lighter weight of a 250 makes in inherently handle better, therefore suspension tuning quality can't be judged on different bikes.

I totally blew it in my last post...got confused with 971 and 997.

I guess the main point I was trying to make to the OP is ride the bike first and see if you like it before

swapping bars, seats, foot pegs, etc... !

I don't know how you guys run lower foot pegs! My feet drag ruts on the track and hit rocks and

roots on the trail in the stock position.... couldn't imagine getting my feet any closer tot he ground!

Yeah, spot on though as far as riding it first. I've never understood guys that take apart their fresh bike and through a bunch of aftermarket stuff on there before riding, stock is sometimes best! I made every change one at a time, albeit I had the front and rear revalved at the same time.

The first thing I did was the FC suspension, and like I said that was the most noticeable and best improvement. I had 7 hours on the bike at the time and had gone through the evolution of thinking the suspension was great immediately after break in to being two races and a few practice sessions under my belt and realizing I would never be happy with it, it was too soft! I set the sag and left everything right in the middle the first day. The bike was brand new, so other than sag and finding a comfortable bar position and lever position I just got used to the bike and broke it in. From there I ended up messing with clickers and pushed the forks up a whopping 10mm in the clamps to get it to turn and eventually added some oil to the forks before realizing it was above my skill level to get right. I probably could have made significant headway just by going up in spring-rate, but I've had really good results with revalves in the past and so I went for it. Any interesting side-note, I had the most trouble with the forks being too soft, but FC only went up in spring size on the shock. I was pretty hesitant and voiced my concern on the phone with their rep that I was worried my woes wouldn't be solved without upping the fork spring, but they sold me on giving their setup a go. It worked, and I probably would have been banging my head trying to do it myself.

As far as the pegs, I didn't notice my feet or pegs dragging at all, but I only ride tracks, and they're usually in pretty good shape around here. I don't know how much they drop the position, but it's maybe a half inch at most. The razor sharp fastway pegs took more getting used to than the lower position. They feel "right" in the lowboy position for me. Not as much of an improvement as the suspension, but I won't be switching back to stock on the pegs. And once you get used to really sharp pegs, they are awesome. I even sharpened the stockers on my CR125 play/training bike because I love the feel of positive connection to the pegs now.

Edited by Slow250