Building a 250X for the SCORE Baja Season...we WILL win Calss 20!

As I posted,'s where we're starting...

An '07 - '13 X with just a few very slight mod's...Air Box opened up, Pink Wire, EPA kit and a pipe w/ Good HAULS A$$! This was our "Base-Line" for starting..and it really runs well!

I know, we've built 4 and are working on 3 more...Oh, FMF 2005 R Mega-header w/ FMF '12 X pipe...We are pulling 14-47/48 gearing, too!

We're testing the Hot Cams Stg II cam and a lil' more compression w/ Cosworth CNC ported heads...jus' fore a lil' more...and I'll repeort on those, too...soon.

IMS 2.6 tank and Pro-pegs

Renthal Fat-Bars and clamps on STOCK TRIPLES!

Renthal Kevlar grips

Renthal Twin Ring 47 rr and SL 14 frt

Dunlop MX51FA 80/100 frt w/ 739 Dez 110/100 rr

CV4 Batteries, Hoses and Koolers

Baja Designs Squadron, Stator and Volt Regulator

Vertex 13.4:1 Piston (Testing)

Cometic Gaskets

Probably run Hinson Clutch stuff, too, if we get it tested before the Baja 250 (Our 1st race...errr...I mean..."Win"!)

Tear-down and Race-Prep by PowerCurve in Redding, Ca. Get this: Our 1 leged Race-Mechanic is an X-Games Silver Medalist and rides reallllly fast! Todd Thompson

NO "R" heads! No "R" internal-parts are needed! Hint: Found out about a really good set-up from a certain Supercross team THAT RAN X HEADS!!!!!!

We're headed out on Cameron Steele's "Hell Ride" for a little testing/R&D...

I'll report more...later.

Would love to hear more about the X head that's working so well - and uh PICTURES!!!!

Would love to hear more about the X head that's working so well - and uh PICTURES!!!!

Pics will take a wk or 2 'til I get back to the shop...unbless I get the FBers to put'em up (From our tests at the Vegas 250...where our Truck won the OVERALL!)

Turns out eh CRF-X head with it's longer ports, add'l materials and higher port velocities makes a helluva alot more "Early-Torque" & can have all the "R" needed w/ the right "works"...and it's already won some SX races..and titles...back in '05-'09...

Why not try the Cosworth piston?

"we WILL win class 20!"

Edited by cb707

I still prefer Honda oem gaskets. Good luck, will be watching for updates.

Here are my notes post "2013 Hell-Ride" with the Desert Assassins:

About the Clutch...

I'm guessing that Honda was trying to make the clutch very "plush" for the rider; so, it's kinda "SOFT"...spring-wise...

The springs have to GO...stiffer springs are a must.

About the Suspension...

Stock springs are pretty damn good for the 170-190 crowd; however, the valving is better for Moto than it is for Off-Road, W-T-F? We did have 1 of the bikes running a stiffer RR spring (Rate unknown to me @ the moment; but, it's just one or two rates stiffer than stock)...We have a Progressive Revalved set and it's not a whole lot different than our very well "clicked" stock stuff. Forks were up in the clamps 10-12mm.

EPIC turning and still very stable at speed. My 450 is gonna be LONELY!

Good bye ODO/Hello CR axle and seals.

Hot Cams Stage 2 Cam: Better low-to mid w/ plenty more torque at those ranges...HOWEVER...the '07 ('08?) and up motors (Read: CAMS) are actually FASTER on "Top" and just a bit slower to accelerate than the Stg 2 cam. The Stage 2 will get the Hole-Shot...the '07/'08 and up will win the Top-Speed-Rev-Race.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Connor Wright
      Hey I have a crf250x 2005 I was riding today in top gear flat out and when I slowed down blue smoke just poured out the exsaughst then I happened to open the air box lid and saw it has what looked like engine oil in it then took out air filter and noticed that there was splatters of engine oil on the inside and that and the channel that goes to the carby had engine oil all over it.
      Also bike got a top end rebuild 15 hours ago
      The engine still runs good and sounds normal
      why would this be happening on a resonabley fresh engine
    • By mikemcbride
      Hey everybody. Quick question for y'all. I recently went riding and about halfway through my ride my motor seized on my '07 CRF250X. I haven't investigated it much but I checked the oil when I got home and there basically was none so I'm assuming that was the culprit. There weren't any metal shavings in the filter or on the plug either. At this point I'm trying to decide to rebuild the motor or just sell the bike as is and let the next buyer deal with it (they would know the deal obviously.) I feel that I'm pretty mechanically inclined but rebuilding a CRF engine is a bit out of my league and I assume paying a shop to do it would put me out more money than the bike is worth. So, I have this question to ask; what would be a fair price for a pretty dang nice shape 07 CRF250X, with a seized motor with an unknown extent of internal damage?
    • By ThomasM.
      selling Hot Cams Valve Shim Kit that i bought for my 2005 crf250x, will also fit crf250r.
      used 1x 1.30 and 2x 1.55 shims. the rest is still there.
      $60usd shipped in the usa or canada
      please contact me for pictures or if you are not sure if it will fit your bike
    • By TerryA
      I have two rides in on my new Rekluse auto clutch and I have to say I'm very pleased. The install wasn't hard, but was pretty much a all afternoon sort of project. I also installed a left hand rear brake kit and a two finger cluth over-ride with the adjuster on the perch (which I rarely seem to need). It has all worked great right from the beginning. After struggling to get up a tricky hill in first gear, I tried it in second and the autoclutch helped me clean the hill easily. Not having to worry about clutch action in techinical sessions has also eased fatigue and just made it more fun all the way around. I ride mountain bikes alot, and having both brakes up on the bars has also been nice as it makes for a set-up just like the bicycle - in fact I like that as much as not having to worry about clutch manipulation. The brake on the bar is especially nice on tricky downhill sections where you need to paddle, such as nasty rock/rut stuff. So first impressions are that it was worth the investment -making the ride more enjoyable and easier at the same time!
    • By Mikey560
      I was driving the bike for 15min or so and all of the sudden the bike stalled. I tried starting it again with no luck. I took the spark plug out to see if there is spark so i ground the spark plug to the frame and there is no spark. I even put a new spark plug in the bike and still nothing. Any ideas what i should check??