Sign in to follow this  

Might be getting an 05 RM 125?

Looks in good condition from the picture, aside from the front brake line being routed wrong. RM's are known for their great handling. The '04 and up arguably have the best motor as they changed it in '04 and stuck with pretty much the same design after that. Just make sure to at least do a compression test if you buy it regardless of what the seller says about the top end; it's cheaper to rebuild before it blows up. I've had my '04 since new and still love it.

edit: also be sure to check the VIN to verify it's an '05 (10th digit should be 5). Should come from the factory with removeable 1 1/8" bar mounts on the tripple clamp as well. '04 did not.

Edited by MayhemMOORE

Looks in good condition from the picture, aside from the front brake line being routed wrong. RM's are known for their great handling. The '04 and up arguably have the best motor as they changed it in '04 and stuck with pretty much the same design after that. Just make sure to at least do a compression test if you buy it regardless of what the seller says about the top end; it's cheaper to rebuild before it blows up. I've had my '04 since new and still love it.

edit: also be sure to check the VIN to verify it's an '05 (10th digit should be 5). Should come from the factory with removeable 1 1/8" bar mounts on the tripple clamp as well. '04 did not.

Yes, i know everybody says they had a top end. Regardless of compression or what he says I am going to put a new OEM top end in it this winter if I get it. Just for reference, what should the compression be? I have a compression tester that we use for snowmobiles and Im sure I could get a reading. Thanks. I will have him text me the VIN in a sec.

Yes, i know everybody says they had a top end. Regardless of compression or what he says I am going to put a new OEM top end in it this winter if I get it. Just for reference, what should the compression be? I have a compression tester that we use for snowmobiles and Im sure I could get a reading. Thanks. I will have him text me the VIN in a sec.

Holding the throttle wide open while kicking, a good, fairly fresh, top end should give you around 150psi or better. Much lower than that and I'd say do the top end. Don't forget to tuck that brake line on the inside of the fork tube before riding or that will be the next thing to replace lol.

Holding the throttle wide open while kicking, a good, fairly fresh, top end should give you around 150psi or better. Much lower than that and I'd say do the top end. Don't forget to tuck that brake line on the inside of the fork tube before riding or that will be the next thing to replace lol

Alright. The guy said this bike is at his work and is going to send me more pictures and the VIN tomorrow when he gets in. I will worry about the brake line if/when I get it. I honestly think 1100 is a decent price to pay, especially for an 05. I would rather spend money and put money into an 05 RM rather then an 02 YZ. If I do buy this, I will then have it and my 02. My goal and hope would be to keep the RM, sell the YZ, and put some money into this RM, depending on if I like it or not. I only weigh 110lbs so It is tough for me to get a bike that handles okay. I have been in contact with Factory Connection about my YZ and they said it would be 500-800 EVEN THOUGH I HAVE SPRINGS FOR MY WEIGHT ALREADY. So I think that is a bit steep, considering I will only be on a 125 for another season or two before I get either a 250f, or a 250 smoker. My hope is that I can find a nice, stock bike like this RM and get it to handle OKAY. I don't want Factory greatness, but something useable. I have ridden my friends 97 YZ 125 that is bone stock and is a complete dream to ride compared to my 02. WISH ME LUCK!

I have a 2003 rm125 the thing is amazing. If your going to get a rm125 i would get it. they are so easy to throw around especially in the air. they have good top and mid, bottom sort of lacks IMO. It has very good cornering. Its basically a really awesome bike IMO to race. I race schoolboy by the way. The handling overall is amazing. hope i was help

I have a 2003 rm125 the thing is amazing. If your going to get a rm125 i would get it. they are so easy to throw around especially in the air. they have good top and mid, bottom sort of lacks IMO. It has very good cornering. Its basically a really awesome bike IMO to race. I race schoolboy by the way. The handling overall is amazing. hope i was help

Thanks bro. Going to look at it today after school. How much do you weigh? Also, is the suspension stock on your bike? Thanks

So I got the VIN and everything checks out. It's an 05. Also got a few more pics. it looks decent but does have some rust. I think it will clean up nicely though.

img952989.jpg

img957678.jpg

Looks pretty good. The rust where the paint is rubbed off from the boots should come right off. Throw on a pipe and that will take care of that and it should be a nice machine.

Good news! I got the bike for $1100. It does have a little more rust then I thought. Mostly on the frame and chain/sprocket. I.will be replacing the chain/sprocket anyway. Also the tires arent 80%, they are more like 60%. It will take a little $$ to get it great but it will be worth it. I am very satisfied. It also has moose (arc) unbreakable levers.

Thanks bro. Going to look at it today after school. How much do you weigh? Also, is the suspension stock on your bike? Thanks

I weigh 165 lbs and i run stock suspension but its on the stiff side

make sure the he isnt running penzoil in it like they guy was that i bought mine off of. stupid idiot. had to buy new clutches like 3 days after i got it lol :banghead:

haha. this bike has a brand new clutch. i got the stock one with the purchase and they looked good so idk why they changed. the bike needs a little love but should be sick when spring comes around

Here is a better pic. Tonight, I took the gas tank and plastics off. I am going to be removing the graphics on the tank, and probably leaving the shrouds the way they are. But I might end up buying new graphics. Probably OEM 05 from factory effex. I have an order ready to be placed sometime within the next month that is over $500. haha. It is top end kit, new fenders, possibly new shrouds and graphics, chain/sprocket set, 2 twin air filters, Dunlop d952 tire, clutch and throttle cable, and a few other misc things. Gonna be a sick bike when I'm done.

imagepog.jpgimagerck.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by cgirouard423