Calling all video editing guru's!

I have an issue. Film with a Contour Roam, which films in .mov files. I have Windows Movie Maker (WMM) on my PC, which worked for awhile till my Countour updated. Now, I either have to find a software that is compatible, and easy to use, like WMM, or I have to find a good conversion software.

Tried Wondershare conversion software and it sucked. Tried Cyberlink PowerDirector Video editor and it was too complicated.

don't mind paying for either, but want to keep the quality and would actually like to be able to post video's in 1080p occasionally.

Has anyone ran into this, or have a solution?

Getting a bit aggravated.

i always found mov files a pain in the ass. it was developed by apple so it took ages before all the pc-based editing programs started to try and deal with it. occasionally mates give me mov files to work in with my gopro footage and while the later versions of sony vegas can handle them the colours go off and it takes forever to process them.

if you have a mac and buy any mac video software it will work well, but you'll need to hunt around if you have a pc.

You can get GoPro software free from their website that converts for you then you can use WMM to edit. GoPro records in apple format too.

AVS Video converter works very well but every time you convert a video file it losses quality. If you convert a .MOV to MP4 so it will work with WMM then it will convert the file again when you publish it depending on what your doing with it, YouTube, DVD, etc. After a 1080p video has been converted twice its no where near 1080p quality when its finished. I would get a good video editing program like CyberLink Power Director. It's a powerful editing program but also is fairly simple if you just want to do basic editing and it will import any type of video/audio file out there without converting it first.

max, tried the PowerDirector. didn't like it, thought it sucked for what I was doing. Format Factory converter did a fairly good job, but the finished product did get somewhat pixelated compared to when the WMM worked on my .mov files.

Will try the GoPro software and see how that works.

How is the Quicktime Pro editing software? does it work fairly well? Could give it a go as well.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the input!

I like the GoPro for conversion. didn't seem to lose much on quality. uploading a sample to Youtube now. will see how it goes. Haven't tried editing with WMM yet. Going to compare the converted file to the WMM uploaded file.

I'd be interested to know some ideas on this myself. Tired of using Roxio Video Editor.

MPEG Streamclip. Amazing program to convert videos.

http://www.squared5.com/

Edited by TheBrock

MPEG Streamclip. Amazing program to convert videos.

http://www.squared5.com/

Thanks! While i am at it, may as well try that too. LOL

;)

i just use imovie for my gopro stuff really simple to use

The GoPro and Squared5 seemed to work well. Converted to AVI, published with WLMM. Let me know your thoughts in the difference in video quality between the 720p and 1080p, fluidity, etc.

I will say I like the older version of WMM vs the newer WLMM.

Squared5 version, 1080p

http://youtu.be/jiYsIyU2rPs

Prior version edited with WMM, published at 720p

Edited by gmoss357

The GoPro and Squared5 seemed to work well. Converted to AVI, published with WLMM. Let me know your thoughts in the difference in video quality between the 720p and 1080p, fluidity, etc.

I will say I like the older version of WMM vs the newer WLMM.

Squared5 version, 1080p

http://youtu.be/jiYsIyU2rPs

Prior version edited with WMM, published at 720p

2nd clip looks clearer IMO.

You could always get sony vegas, which will work with ANY video format (i may have misunderstood the question)

There are lots of options out there. I use Sony Vegas (version 12 Pro at the moment) and so far have had no problems with ANY file type or codec. Like someone said though render times can increase using certain file types unless you have enough GPU "horsepower" then it is not an issue. As far as Sony Vegas and ease of use I think it is intuitive enough for basic editing using presets and defaults, but can become overwhelming when you find out that you can infinately adjust nearly every aspect of those presets and defaults. I mean it has way more than I need but i am happy.

The consumer/entry level version is really pretty inexpensive IMO and is only limited slightly limited versus the Pro version.

No brainer, Serif movie plus! Cheap, works great, handle any files, great with HD sizes too.