Sign in to follow this  

TTR 250 OR DR 350 ?

Hey Guys,

I'm and student who loves to ride dirt bikes (used to ride bikes since I was 8 ). I wanna use it as my daily commuter from home to school and work (maybe dirt riding once a month ). so I will need the street legal one.

It is so hard to find an street legal version of yamaha TTR 250 in California,(because other than the whole street legal kit such as horn, side lights etc , california law since 2004, requires all bikes which want to be converted to street legal, must have the california emission sticker stating ''on road purpose '' or ''dual purpos'' on them. so any body who has the street legal version of it, is before 2004.

but luckily I have found one california street legal TTR 250 (fair condition) and there are plenty of DR 350 in my neighborhood for sale as well.

I really appreciate if some body who has the experience any of these two bikes to help me out . thank you so much

by the way, I appreciate if you could mention which one is more cost efficient for maintenance and every thing else, because I love the dirt bikes mostly for their styles and dont mind if one will go 10 miles faster or a little better power or acceleration. thanks

yes I have, and I really loved it, but to be honest, It's more than what I can afford right now.

my budget is about 2000 and I could not find any other style of bikes (street legal version) which I could get in this price.

• Like 1

Did own a TTR250. Regret the day I sold it. Lovely machine. Lots of power for a 250 and very reliable bike. The DR350 could be better for higher speeds due to the larger motor but I wouldn't take either one on the freeways.

Did own a TTR250. Regret the day I sold it. Lovely machine. Lots of power for a 250 and very reliable bike. The DR350 could be better for higher speeds due to the larger motor but I wouldn't take either one on the freeways.

why you would n't take them on the freeways? not reliable enough?

find a nice used klx250 you'll get a whole lot more out of that bike, rode a couple loved em to death open them up exhaust wise and they'll have some balls

I will cinsider that.

never thought about KLX

To run at most highway speeds some of these bikes are wound out in 5 (or 6th) gear.

Not fun to wind em out to do 80MPH on SoCal freeways. You will need a 650cc for that. Also, KLX is unreliable. It is based on KLX300 which has valve train problems and shift shaft issues too. Avoid.

• Like 1

Not fun to wind em out to do 80MPH on SoCal freeways. You will need a 650cc for that. Also, KLX is unreliable. It is based on KLX300 which has valve train problems and shift shaft issues too. Avoid.

Thank you so much for all the info man,it changed alot of things in my mind.

by the way, the distance from my school to home is 10 miles, do you think that I still will face problemswith 250?

Thank you so much for all the info man,it changed alot of things in my mind.

by the way, the distance from my school to home is 10 miles, do you think that I still will face problemswith 250?

If you avoid freeways it will be fine.

not the old klx, those were nightmares, the newer ones that are more based of their dirt brethren than the klx., you can pick a decent one up thats recent for about 1800-2400

not the old klx, those were nightmares, the newer ones that are more based of their dirt brethren than the klx., you can pick a decent one up thats recent for about 1800-2400

The original liquid cooled KLX250 that came out in 1994 was terrible. The 1996 KLX300R got a little better but still had problems all the way until 2005 when they stopped making it (broken idler gears, need to check valve clearance every 500 miles, etc) http://planetklx.org/faqs.html In 2006 Kawasaki made a KLX250S (after phasing out their KLR250) which copied pieces of the 300R motor. In 2008 they re-did the whole bike but kept many parts of the old motor. It is the slowest of the three bikes listed.

The bikes inquired on are excellent reliability wise.

Edited by shrubitup