1997 xr650l carb spewing gass out the overflow tube.

Whats up Thumper talk community, first time user, first time posting. Glad to finaly be a part of an xr650l community!I just got this thing, and switched tanks. Stuck an Acerbis on there. I took out the carb to do a rebuild and could use some help. Carb is spewing gas out the overflow line.

What went wrong what should be checked first. The float bowl seemed to be operating freely and the right height.

The only reason why I did the rebuild was because the carb had some gas coming out the top leaking out of what seemd to be the gasket area. I was told and found out that maybe it was the floatbowl stuck or somthin, debris. Other than that, it ran fine.

Since I just bought it I figured a carb overhaul where I can see inside it before finding somthing out in teh desert was a good idea.

Any help woul dbe appreciated,

Edited by bigredpiggy

tap the bowl is the easiest way to assess this

if not take the bowl off and clean the float valve manually...

a new inline filter and some compressed air in all passageways works wonders too

it could be gas fuel bits, dirt, sand, metal anything causing stiction in there

Likely the needle valve on the float is hanging up and not seating correctly. A common cause is varnish or other debri preventing the needle valve to seat. An easy cure is dumping a half can of Wynn's X-tend 88plus into a full tank of fuel. Take the bike out on the highway and ride. Wynn's X-Tend 88Plus is available at most GM dealerships through the parts counter. It isn't available to the general public on the "snake oil" shelves of auto supply stores.

There is nothing to adjust on the float for the XR650L. You can't set the float level like you can on every other motorcycle carburetor that I've ever opened up.

Scott is correct. First time I have seen a non-adjustable float in a carb. Wonder what master mind at honda came up with that??

Had a friends bike leaking fuel out of the over flow also. I took the needle out and there was a very slight ring around the rubber tip, you could just barley see it. Cleaned the needle seat with carb. cleaner and replace the needle with a new one.............problem fixed!

Your next mod. should be a new front Xrr 15t front gear.

Kurt

Edited by GONE14S

There is nothing to adjust on the float for the XR650L. You can't set the float level like you can on every other motorcycle carburetor that I've ever opened up.

Well I stand corrected!! So the L hasn't got an adjustable float level? I only just came across a similar thing with the NX650 Dominator I have. It was spewing fuel also, a new needle fixed that straight away.