Rebuild version 1.0

So I've started a the rebuild one of the XR200's out of the mountain of parts I have obtained. As this is the first try and gonna be the roughest one I thought I'd document the steps I take and any suggestions along the way would be much appreciated.

So to date.

1 - I have reassembled the engine, unfortunately didn't take any pics but the next bike will be a total engine rebuild so will probably make up for it then. All it requires is a sand blast and paint.

2 - sandblast the triples and swingarm and paint matt black.

3 - clean up forks as best as possible. There is no pitting on the slide part but up the top there is a bit, I've polished out as much as possible but any good tips on getting rid of the rest?

4- roughly assemble front and rear suspension and put wheels on.

Thats all I got to before a last minute job came up in the states, when I get back I will get a decent sand blasting cabinet and go to town on the engine as well as try and bring some of the plastics back to life..

bulk parts.JPG

Forks.JPG

swingarm.JPG

Bike.JPG

Edited by aff-man

Hey there Aff-man. Look's good.

If you need any spares or looking for a certain parts I have two of these early 80 - 82 in the shed, plus alot of engine parts.

You can polish the fork rust, surface with cutting compound.

Sandblasting the engine with sand, assembled, would not be something I would do but I am not sure if that is what you mean. If blast it with soda then when the water comes into contact with it it dissolves. Sand in the engine could be a risk.

If you want to get a little more grunt out of it port and polish the exhaust and match port the intake manifold to the cylinder head for better flow. Do not grind or polish the intake as the roughness helps with fuel combustion.

Nice work....I like it.

Edited by GEOF

If you are interested and have facebook...then click on the link. My son and I have done a couple of these Xr 200 rebuilds now and the vids and photo's may be of help to you.

https://www.facebook.com/CleanRebuilds

Just thought you might be interested.

Cheers.

Edited by GEOF

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the advice, i'll look into getting some soda for the blasting. As I said this first one will be a rough build just to have a rideable bike that looks a little bit ok. The next one will all be done from ground up and will look into the porting options and also look at making a custom exhaust as I was told that just increasing the header bore diameter does quite a lot for the engine.

I am compiling a list of required parts but I think I have almost everything except the stator cover.

Also these bits have been sitting around a while. I was going to get some of that decreaser fluid they use in parts cleaning cabinets and soak the engine bits etc for the new engine but is there something that you recommend so as to get them nice and cleaned up before reassembly? This will probably be done in a couple months when the first one is sorted.

Cheers

Several options for part cleaning fluids; Diesel, kerosine, paint thinner, Stoddard solvent (non flammable), etc. All are petroleum based so do a good job of dissolving oils and grease. There are other solvents but they have more serious safety and health issues.

Edited by chuck4788

Several options for part cleaning fluids; Diesel, kerosine, paint thinner, Stoddard solvent (non flammable), etc. All are petroleum based so do a good job of dissolving oils and grease. There are other solvents but they have more serious safety and health issues.

What's "non flammable"...............you lost me? Diesel first on your list as a cleaning fluid in a parts washer.......??? :confused:

Old School Al

Hey Aff......I like to use Kerosing for the first wash to get the bulk of the crap off. It is very good. I also use a stiff brush. I only use a small portable wash bath. I let it drip dry on a rag for about 10 minutes and then blow it all off with compressed air at about 100 - 120 psi. A good blow off to remove it all. Then I use Koala degresser for a final. That seems to bring up a nice shine after blowing that off with compressed air.

I thought you may be interested to know that I have come across some very good paint for plastics. It is available from Super cheap auto. I am a believer after applying it to my front and rear fender. Does not crack.

Here is a link to it.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/998840-painting-plastics/

Edited by GEOF

Sweet I have an abrasive polish that restores plastics called plasticX... It's amazing!!! I bought it to get rid of the yellow sun fade on my car headlights (came up crystal clear) but have used it on just about every plastic thing I have hahahaha

A light sand and then some polish and i'll see how they come up, will take pics and let you know.

If it all turns to custard though i'll go pick up some of that paint.

Cheers

What's "non flammable"...............you lost me? Diesel first on your list as a cleaning fluid in a parts washer.......??? :confused:

Old School Al

My bad on the stoddard solvent, I was thinking of the nonflammable solvents that we used years ago to clean shop floors.

I haven't used Diesel in a parts cleaner but I do use paint thinner, buy it in 5 gallon pails. Paint thinner is just a more refined product than diesel but more flammable. Kerosine is in between the two but I can buy the paint thinner cheaper than either. YMMV

So managed get enough bolts out of the miss matched boxes sand finally after a few finishing touches and a lick of paint the engine is in

image.jpg