Motocross needs...

So i am new to the sport. This year i am going to start practicing, dont plan on racing. I have been around quads and bikes all my life and have spent the last 2 summers going to the track as often as i can just to watch. I have a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250. Its been well maintained and has alot of aftermarket accesories. I am putting new fork seals and changing the oil, new chain, coolant flush and all the other basics to get the bike itself ready. I need to get a neck brace and pants for gear maybe a set of boots. Is there anything else i could use/need to be ready to at least practice this year? I am open to all suggestions since i am new to this. Also i am 16 buying everything myself so i am on a pretty small budget. (there is a pic of my bike)311236_3907793249817_1588620647_n.jpg

Helmet

Googles

Gloves

Boots

Knee Pads

Pants

Jersey

Neckbrace???

I would buy a pair of boots over a neckbrace anyday....

I have all the gear and a pair of boots.. they are getting kind of old and could be replaced but i had an uncle of mine crash and messed up his back pretty bad so now he wont let me race without a neck brace. I found a leatt adventure 3 for $199 i might be picking up when i get my next pay check.

I have all the gear and a pair of boots.. they are getting kind of old and could be replaced but i had an uncle of mine crash and messed up his back pretty bad so now he wont let me race without a neck brace. I found a leatt adventure 3 for $199 i might be picking up when i get my next pay check.

If you're going to get a leatt go to their store on hookit.com and they have the GPX Club 3 blue,red or orange for $150

So i am new to the sport. This year i am going to start practicing, dont plan on racing. I have been around quads and bikes all my life and have spent the last 2 summers going to the track as often as i can just to watch. I have a 2004 Suzuki RMZ 250. Its been well maintained and has alot of aftermarket accesories. I am putting new fork seals and changing the oil, new chain, coolant flush and all the other basics to get the bike itself ready. I need to get a neck brace and pants for gear maybe a set of boots. Is there anything else i could use/need to be ready to at least practice this year? I am open to all suggestions since i am new to this. Also i am 16 buying everything myself so i am on a pretty small budget. (there is a pic of my bike)311236_3907793249817_1588620647_n.jpg

Full riding gear as already listed.

I like to have at least 2 sets of goggles so I don't have to mess with switching lenses depending on sunlight or lack of.

You'll need the obvious tie downs, ramp, step and or bike stand, tools including air guage and air tank, an ez-up w/ chair and a decent cooler.

At home have an extra air filter, air filter oil, chain lube, and whatever bike cleaner of choice (for me it's simple green), I also like having a grunge brush and chain cleaner.

Don't forget to let the air out of your forks after each ride and keep an eye on your oil and chain slack.

Edited by Sharp Shooter

On a side note, go and get the Leatt brace fitted professionally. You may as well not wear one if it doesn't fit correctly.

Get your gear and save for gas, practice fees.

By the way it's good to hear you are 16 and doing this by yourself. Have fun be safe. Hookit also does atlas brace.

You need a pit girl to wash your bike, pre pare snacks, and give you motivation to win! :D

After you have the basics start saving for transportation. Get a cheap pickup or van. Sucks taking your girl on a date and your mom or dad is in the front seat while you're trying to put your moves on.

Get what you can afford. It's easy to go overboard. But a good helmet,goggles and boots are the main items, evrything eles is gravy.

Thumbs up for having a job saving $$ and doing it yourselve.

HAVE FUN!!!

Start putting together a set of tools.

Start putting together a set of tools.

Tell your uncle to pay for the neckbrace since he wants you to have it .

BOOTS!!! your ankles will love you for em.. and then get some GOOD BOOTS and a GOOD Helmet. Then make sure your bikes maintenance is good to go, i.e wheel bearings, pivot bearings, brakes, tires, engine... Nothing worse than hitting a table top and having your bottom end go out. Ive had it happen on a friends bike that had crazy hours on it ( unknown by me ).. one concussion and a new motor later.. wish I didnt trust a friends maintenance schedule.

OHH ya.. take your bike and get the suspension set up for you and MX.. that way the iron horse wont fight you so much and you will have a blast all day!

Besides that... ENJOY THE RIDE and HAVE FUN!! Besides Hockey, time at the track is my favorite way to spend the day

Edited by maboomboom

A truck, ramp, bike stand, and gear.

Then all you need after that is money to pay for race fees, gas, and bike maintenance.

Unbreakable levers or a bag of spare levers is a good idea.

But other than that, screw buying a whole bunch of tools right now. Buy the basics. If you spend tons of money on tools you don't ever need, then their pointless. My reccomendation is a factory repair manual. A whole mess of wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and breaker bars. A brass tap, and a rubber mallet. A torque wrench, and go from there. I doubt you will ever need much more than that.

I'm 17 and doing it on my own as well, although Dad got me a neckbrace to race in, as your uncle should too. Good luck!